HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Com Sci 12/13 freshmen

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #91
Arch-Supremacy Member

lol nvm since FMC uses the P account. I can give all my points to the Jap module. haha...

Anyway I thought year1 students only bid among the year1?
No! If you want, I can bid with you I just dump 4k points in your module then I withdraw
Old 14-05-2012, 08:47 PM   #92
Master Member

No! If you want, I can bid with you I just dump 4k points in your module then I withdraw
I knew someone is gonna say that.

but someone told me at the luncheon that yr1s get protection leh. only for core modules ? =/
Old 14-05-2012, 10:09 PM   #93
Great Supremacy Member

sure u only round 1c got protection

i got 2k G points

want to pway? i ask all moi fwens 2k min bid LAJ1201
Old 14-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #94
Master Member

sure u only round 1c got protection

i got 2k G points

want to pway? i ask all moi fwens 2k min bid LAJ1201
wat lao ... bully newcomer sia .... should have gone to NTU
Old 14-05-2012, 10:33 PM   #95
Banned

I knew someone is gonna say that.

but someone told me at the luncheon that yr1s get protection leh. only for core modules ? =/
They give u the "condom" is only to protect you (and fellow freshmen) from the seniors.

Joke aside, the protection means that there will be two seperate queues, one the freshmen queue (0 to 1 sem old) and the other the seniors queue (> 2 sem old).

There will only be finite slots (usually a fraction of the total no of slots) allocated to each queue.

E.g

Module A has 500 slots. The school decides to allocate 60% of the slot to the seniors and 40% to the freshmen. So, the seniors will have to fight for the 300 slots and the freshmens will to battle royale for the remaining 200 slots.

Special case: If there is any vancancies in either slots after a certain round of bidding (Can't remember offhand - Maybe those still inside can help me), the 2 queues will be migrated into one queue and it is a free for all situation (Senior vs senior, senior vs freshmen, freshmen vs freshmen)
Buaya_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 10:35 PM   #96
Banned

wat lao ... bully newcomer sia .... should have gone to NTU
Heard NTU more jialat....

Play fastest finger first and trading modules game.
Buaya_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 03:27 AM   #97
Great Supremacy Member

They give u the "condom" is only to protect you (and fellow freshmen) from the seniors.

Joke aside, the protection means that there will be two seperate queues, one the freshmen queue (0 to 1 sem old) and the other the seniors queue (> 2 sem old).

There will only be finite slots (usually a fraction of the total no of slots) allocated to each queue.

E.g

Module A has 500 slots. The school decides to allocate 60% of the slot to the seniors and 40% to the freshmen. So, the seniors will have to fight for the 300 slots and the freshmens will to battle royale for the remaining 200 slots.

Special case: If there is any vancancies in either slots after a certain round of bidding (Can't remember offhand - Maybe those still inside can help me), the 2 queues will be migrated into one queue and it is a free for all situation (Senior vs senior, senior vs freshmen, freshmen vs freshmen)
I think only after 2A then will merge all cannot remember already
Old 22-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #98

Hi, this is from my email correspondence with a staff in NUS Computing dept.

1. Assuming I would stream into CM major in 2013/2014 academic year (after the first year), will the phasing out of CM major affect the streaming?

[Reply]:

It is likely that the last batch of students who intend to pursue BComp.(CM) will be matriculated in AY2012-13, i.e., next semester 1.

2. Even if I stream into CM major successfully, will the phasing out affect my subsequent years? Can I still graduate with a CM major? Because i heard from seniors that there are problems with communication between the Computing and the CNM depts.

[Reply]:

Existing students may still choose CM major. CM programme will continue until all CM students have graduated.

There was indeed some problem, but it's not communication between the two departments; it's CNM department's inability to cope with too many CM/CS students taking NM modules at the same time.

The catch remains: CNM dept can't take in many (say 50) CM/CS students in any one NM module in a semester. CNM department is working on their manpower issue to see if they can increase quota for CM/CS students.

3. Assuming I'm a Computer Science major, can I be at a disadvantage if I wish to cover a decent amount of CM modules? This brings us to the next question.

[Reply]:

CS Department has come up with a scheme for merging the CM into CS under the focus area of Interactive Media. With that, CS students can take the essentially the same set of CM modules as CM students. The main difference is that CS students have to take more science modules than CM students.

In addition, we are working on a Minor in Interactive Media Development with CNM Dept to facilitate CS students taking CM modules. With that, CS + Minor in IMD is largely similar to CM. For more information, please go to IVLE and search for the module SoCCM. BTW, the information there is a little outdated. More up-to-date information about the details of the Minor and modules revisions will be released sometime this week.

4. Lastly, the most important concern of all, would the speculated new Focus Area: Interactive Media be rolled out after the CM major is scrapped? If so, when would that be? Is it in tandem with my streaming application period in 2013/2014 academic year? If not, do you think it's better to pursue CM major instead of CS major?

[Reply]:

The Interactive Media focus area will be rolled out in AY2012-13 semester 1, i.e., next semester 1. It will run in tandem with CM, and it will remain as a CS focus area after CM is phased out in about 6 years' time. We will update the CS programme website soon.
Seems like this year's freshmen batch is the last group that is eligible to apply for the CM major.

On the other hand, there will be a new focus area: Interactive Media and a new Minor in Interactive Media Development. Quite promising to say the least.
uohzxela is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.