HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

How's the FASS CNM course like?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-08-2010, 12:04 AM   #16
Master Member

There is a content creation and mass communication group under SoC's CM. But I think I only need to a maximum of 24MCs from this group. So that's only like 1 to 2 semesters of modules. The other 6 to 7 semesters are still math and programming. wtf!
MA1301 is considered very easy for most peeps

you might want to consider transferring, i have a feeling you are stronger in writing (than math)
carlogambino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 01:26 AM   #17
Arch-Supremacy Member

yes it is still 90% programmng.. i learnt it the hard way, KNN...

u noe why anot..

cos those project u'll be implmenting stuffs, making new interactive systems..

n to make these systems work, u need programming..

go into the graphics n gaming part.. that's even more jialat.. need AI, collision test etc etc ALL FUGGIN PROGRAMMING!!

i think u transfer to CNM next sem, i highly reccommend u to do that..
Old 30-08-2010, 03:25 AM   #18

yes it is still 90% programmng.. i learnt it the hard way, KNN...

u noe why anot..

cos those project u'll be implmenting stuffs, making new interactive systems..

n to make these systems work, u need programming..

go into the graphics n gaming part.. that's even more jialat.. need AI, collision test etc etc ALL FUGGIN PROGRAMMING!!

i think u transfer to CNM next sem, i highly reccommend u to do that..
I am fine to learn these fuggin programming thing if I really have to but apparently, in SoC, they teach at a lightning fast pace. Probably only the elites could understand at that speed. I am only a mediocore student there and I find that I haven't even digested what was taught in the last lecture and the next new topic is stuffed into my brain again. The pace is fast and I am too slow. Worst still, I never like math since primary school. Math is such a painful thing to do.

So now after you have graduated from SoC's horrifying hell years, is it easier to find better jobs? Better jobs that are healthier so that don't have to chiong overnight on programming again?
vEr5eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 09:12 AM   #19
Supremacy Member

The programming I feel is quite easy what, don't know why people say need overnight to do, I finished the programming assignment in like 20 min, even though the estimated time required on the question says 3-4 hrs, but I really don't see how anyone would need 3-4hrs for them.

The key is to read ahead, if you think you cannot catch up, then run ahead first, in uni it's all about self-studying, the lectures are just to help you in areas you might not understand while self-studying, not to actually teach you from scratch.
fzhfzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 02:19 PM   #20
Arch-Supremacy Member

fren, if everybody like u, all get 1st class liao lo.. 20min for a 3hr assignment, wad module u referring to??

i can do 20 pull ups in 30seconds, i dunno why some ppl can be zero fighter.. u cannot use urself n compare to everyone
Old 30-08-2010, 02:30 PM   #21
Arch-Supremacy Member

I am fine to learn these fuggin programming thing if I really have to but apparently, in SoC, they teach at a lightning fast pace. Probably only the elites could understand at that speed. I am only a mediocore student there and I find that I haven't even digested what was taught in the last lecture and the next new topic is stuffed into my brain again. The pace is fast and I am too slow. Worst still, I never like math since primary school. Math is such a painful thing to do.

So now after you have graduated from SoC's horrifying hell years, is it easier to find better jobs? Better jobs that are healthier so that don't have to chiong overnight on programming again?
well, u gotta get used to uni style.. only 15weeks, b4 u noe it, the mid term tests will drown u in September.. SoC is much harder than FASS CNM cos it's like learning a new thing in every fuggin module, whereas CNM u probably juz need to reason well, write well n think critically n u're good for a B at least..

I took NM modules n practically surf FB n HWZ during lectures, sometimes talk some cock n express my views to the lecturer, do the group project properly, n i can get a B+.. in SoC, B+ is nt so easy to get, the man-hours needed is MUCH MUCH higher..

not saying B+ is impossible in SoC, but u probably need to invest 100hrs on the project as opposed to juz 25hrs on a NM project.. *juz example only ah*

if u compare FASS CNM n SoC CM, if u get a similar class honours, a SoC grad will definitely get a better pay cos they haf a specific skillset.. A SoC student can do the CNM students job pretty ok, but the CNM student can hardly do a SoC student's work..

i can tell u la, they say CM got future when i got in during 2006, but seriously it's nothing like they say.. Market so fuggin small, job opportunities so little, n not say the pay is fantastic.. Those animation studios, u can work damn long hrs one, very unhealthy job.. Dun even haf time for a proper meal, that's a designer's life when u haf tight schedules to meet.

u might juz end up as a software engineer, which is more programming.. i haf a few frens in ST Engineering, complain complain complain.. OT till late night doing programming with no OT pay.. haiz..
Old 30-08-2010, 09:59 PM   #22

well, u gotta get used to uni style.. only 15weeks, b4 u noe it, the mid term tests will drown u in September.. SoC is much harder than FASS CNM cos it's like learning a new thing in every fuggin module, whereas CNM u probably juz need to reason well, write well n think critically n u're good for a B at least..

I took NM modules n practically surf FB n HWZ during lectures, sometimes talk some cock n express my views to the lecturer, do the group project properly, n i can get a B+.. in SoC, B+ is nt so easy to get, the man-hours needed is MUCH MUCH higher..

not saying B+ is impossible in SoC, but u probably need to invest 100hrs on the project as opposed to juz 25hrs on a NM project.. *juz example only ah*

if u compare FASS CNM n SoC CM, if u get a similar class honours, a SoC grad will definitely get a better pay cos they haf a specific skillset.. A SoC student can do the CNM students job pretty ok, but the CNM student can hardly do a SoC student's work..

i can tell u la, they say CM got future when i got in during 2006, but seriously it's nothing like they say.. Market so fuggin small, job opportunities so little, n not say the pay is fantastic.. Those animation studios, u can work damn long hrs one, very unhealthy job.. Dun even haf time for a proper meal, that's a designer's life when u haf tight schedules to meet.

u might juz end up as a software engineer, which is more programming.. i haf a few frens in ST Engineering, complain complain complain.. OT till late night doing programming with no OT pay.. haiz..
wa...sian...I don't want to be a software engineer...haha...seriously, I also don't know what kind of job I can get if I don't want to be a software engineer with a cert from SoC's CM. On the other hand, I also have no idea what kind of job opportunities(healthy ones pls) a FASS CNM cert could offer me. As you said, CNM has no technical skills. So hire CNM ppl to do what?
You must be thinking I am so contradicting now right...haha...

If SoC's grades are difficult to get even for a B(which I agree because I can sense the toughness), then wouldn't a CNM grad with easier to score modules and better grades turn out to be more appealing to the employers?

I am worry that if my grades aren't that fantastic, probably like with no complimentary honours or worst still, don't even have honours for my cert, the employer would be doubtful about my technical skills? Is this a problem?
Old 31-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #23
Arch-Supremacy Member

well, CNM is good honours can go do gov job, most of them juz need gd honours of any discipline..

they can go into events, advertising, design n sort la..

u gotta see wad kinda job u referring to ma.. if u wanna do IT job, ur results damn zai in CNM oso useless, cos u dun haf the skills.. whereas u can get the job if u haf the SoC cert, juz dat starting pay will be low, but at least u get the job..

ur cert is only impt in ur first job application.. after which, nobody will care wad's ur CAP, they wanna noe wad experience u haf n wad u've done in ur previous jobs..
Old 31-08-2010, 04:35 PM   #24
Supremacy Member

just like uni, once you are in, no one give a damn about your A level/poly results any more.
fzhfzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:44 AM   #25

yea, I understand that my poly results will no longer be looked at after getting the degree. That's why I am more concerned about what happen if I graduate from SoC with a somewhat screwed results like with no complimentary honours, or with grades that "uglified" the transcript, etc.
Old 24-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #26

my 2 cents

I suggest you get out of NUS.

I'm a SoC year 3 student myself, and yes, the math is horribly dreading. fortunately I still manage to pull through.

the CNM prog in arts is not much of what you want I think, it's much more theoretical, essay based, and only a few handful of modules are on media design and stuff. and I don't think the lecturers are very good, having taken some of the design modules like NM2208, NM2216 and NM2210. The only one I enjoyed is NM2208.

go to NTU's school of art design and media if you want a more creative approach.
NUS is all academics.
tancolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:34 PM   #27

I think getting out of NUS isn't a good option because I don't wish to prolong my stay in school. I hate school. This is especially when the arts school in NTU is also a FOUR YEARS course. WTF! This will all make up to 5years if I transfer to NTU.

Along the way, I gathered more information on the CNM course in arts and also began to find out that it is a very theoretical course with little emphasis on the execution of art work. The most I could hope for in the arts CNM course is a less stressful life compared to SoC. But I suspect the lesser stress wouldn't be significant. It is a good course if I want to make writing as my career. Too bad that my command of language is not good enough to be a writer.

I hate the math modules in SoC. I know it will be a very very painful thing to drag through the years. I am planning to take 2 math modules at a time in my next semester. I am not really looking at scoring in the math modules. I just hope to quickly clear ALL of it ASAP. It seems that SoC courses are somewhat packed with many dreadful core modules.

And oh...I hope I can still connect(socially) with the real world well enough after 4 years of rigorous cryptic language communication with the non-living object(the computer).

How would one become after being trained to think like how a machine thinks for 4 years and subsequently the next 20 to 30 years in one's job?
Old 03-11-2010, 12:04 AM   #28
Great Supremacy Member

I think getting out of NUS isn't a good option because I don't wish to prolong my stay in school. I hate school. This is especially when the arts school in NTU is also a FOUR YEARS course. WTF! This will all make up to 5years if I transfer to NTU.

Along the way, I gathered more information on the CNM course in arts and also began to find out that it is a very theoretical course with little emphasis on the execution of art work. The most I could hope for in the arts CNM course is a less stressful life compared to SoC. But I suspect the lesser stress wouldn't be significant. It is a good course if I want to make writing as my career. Too bad that my command of language is not good enough to be a writer.

I hate the math modules in SoC. I know it will be a very very painful thing to drag through the years. I am planning to take 2 math modules at a time in my next semester. I am not really looking at scoring in the math modules. I just hope to quickly clear ALL of it ASAP. It seems that SoC courses are somewhat packed with many dreadful core modules.

And oh...I hope I can still connect(socially) with the real world well enough after 4 years of rigorous cryptic language communication with the non-living object(the computer).

How would one become after being trained to think like how a machine thinks for 4 years and subsequently the next 20 to 30 years in one's job?
I started to think like a machine 5 years ago
Old 03-11-2010, 12:56 AM   #29

I started to think like a machine 5 years ago
5 years = 4 years in NUS + 1 year of work?
Did your mind enjoy living like a machine for the past 5 years?

We usually expect our computers to be able to run multiple applications simultaneously and yet be fast. Sometimes, we even leave our computers on for more than 24 hours just to let it work. We also expect our computers to work in the background quietly while we were enjoying our coffee.

This is the life of a machine. Fortunately, a machine has no feelings.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:18 AM   #30
Banned

Beside the MA and ST modules, you might encountered CS modules that requires knowledge from the MA and ST modules ......

Oh, forget to mention CS1231 (aka MA1231)......
Buaya_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.