HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

How's the FASS CNM course like?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2010, 11:51 PM   #46

Sorry to say this, but fzhfzh is scaring people here. You won't be seeing those stuff anytime near first year.
intj_rational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:58 PM   #47
Arch-Supremacy Member

Sorry to say this, but fzhfzh is scaring people here. You won't be seeing those stuff anytime near first year.
In fact, for the new curriculum you have a choice to avoid most of those.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:13 AM   #48

Yes I have to agree with napsterz. If one is really really so scared of Math modules and has A level math background, you are only required to take these:

MA1101R Linear Algebra I
CS1231 Discrete Structures
ST2334 Probability and Statistics
MA1521 Calculus for Computing

MA1521 shouldn't be too challenging. CS1231 is just... k just ask around and you'll know. Linear Algebra I is ok if one puts in the effort; it's still dealing with rather concrete things (Euclidean space) that can mostly be broken down into matrices. It is Linear Algebra II that deals with abstract vector spaces and that isn't a requirement.

I don't know about ST2334 but I think should be a watered down version of that taken by Math majors.

Other than those, probably only CS3230 is more mathematical. But heck that's really it. It's not really a whole lot of math to be honest. So don't be intimidated. There's really no need to be.

And besides, if you've hated math in the past, you may like it now (or hate it more). It's more towards proofs than computation.

Anything other than the above can really really really be avoided if you want to avoid them. But of course if you choose to do something that has roots in math...
Old 05-11-2010, 12:23 AM   #49
Supremacy Member

Yes, it's not in first year, never said it's in first year also. And yes, you might be able to avoid it, but if you even getting into computer science related career, there are things that even if you can avoid for the degree requirement, you can't avoid it for life.
fzhfzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:29 AM   #50
Arch-Supremacy Member

Yes I have to agree with napsterz. If one is really really so scared of Math modules and has A level math background, you are only required to take these:

MA1101R Linear Algebra I

MA1521 shouldn't be too challenging. CS1231 is just... k just ask around and you'll know. Linear Algebra I is ok if one puts in the effort; it's still dealing with rather concrete things (Euclidean space) that can mostly be broken down into matrices. It is Linear Algebra II that deals with abstract vector spaces and that isn't a requirement.

I don't know about ST2334 but I think should be a watered down version of that taken by Math majors.

Other than those, probably only CS3230 is more mathematical. But heck that's really it. It's not really a whole lot of math to be honest. So don't be intimidated. There's really no need to be.

And besides, if you've hated math in the past, you may like it now (or hate it more). It's more towards proofs than computation.

Anything other than the above can really really really be avoided if you want to avoid them. But of course if you choose to do something that has roots in math...
ST2334 there's calculus
Old 05-11-2010, 10:22 AM   #51

Yes, it's not in first year, never said it's in first year also. And yes, you might be able to avoid it, but if you even getting into computer science related career, there are things that even if you can avoid for the degree requirement, you can't avoid it for life.
Yes indeed. But that's more for theoretical computer science.

I doubt the average programmer will really make use of deep mathematics / analysis on a day-to-day basis. Heck, most software probably has got nothing to do with deep mathematics.

Apologies for any offence caused. I just wished to clarify certain things.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:03 PM   #52
Supremacy Member

Yes, probably, but I don't think we should be studying computer science at uni level just to aim to be an average programmer.
fzhfzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:15 PM   #53

Interesting thread. So who having grad from FASS CNM would choose NOT to do it again, given a choice? Is NTU really better for this media field?

I'm thinking of majoring in CNM and minoring in Political Science . Anyone has any thoughts?

(I'm a final-year poly student at SP's Media and Comm.)
Old 05-11-2010, 02:14 PM   #54

ST2334 there's calculus
How come ST2334 has calculus in it? How's calculus being used in ST2334 and are there a lot of calculus application in it?

If this is the case, would taking ST2334 and MA1521 a good combination?
vEr5eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:19 PM   #55

Yes, probably, but I don't think we should be studying computer science at uni level just to aim to be an average programmer.
Interesting. So what kind of programmer should we, computer science students, aiming to be?
vEr5eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:19 PM   #56
Banned

ST2334 there's calculus
Serious boh?!

Like dat I go and hoot ST1131 liao.... (I ish EC student, so can siam ST2334.)
Buaya_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:24 PM   #57
Arch-Supremacy Member

How come ST2334 has calculus in it? How's calculus being used in ST2334 and are there a lot of calculus application in it?

If this is the case, would taking ST2334 and MA1521 a good combination?
Erm, my friend taking it told me there's calculus applied in some lectures. It's expected since its pre-requisites are calculus modules. It's just another math module, with sets, permutations, differentiation, etc.

MA1521 is pre-requisite for ST2334 and core module for CS. For IS, they can take MA1321 for pre-req, which is also calculus but less challenging than MA1521
Old 05-11-2010, 02:29 PM   #58
Banned

MA1101R Linear Algebra I

Hate to say, but quite a number of poly grad will struggle for any of 4 modules......

I dare to say that the poly curriculum for IT course is inadequate for perparing one for a CS course.
Buaya_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:30 PM   #59
Arch-Supremacy Member

Serious boh?!

Like dat I go and hoot ST1131 liao.... (I ish EC student, so can siam ST2334.)
Ya, there's limit, function, integral, etc.

Nvm rah, you just take as UE roh. hehe
Old 05-11-2010, 02:36 PM   #60
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hate to say, but quite a number of poly grad will struggle for any of 4 modules......

I dare to say that the poly curriculum for IT course is inadequate for perparing one for a CS course.
These part is to bully poly people

Another part that comprises of common essentials is to bully jc people

So evil
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.