HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Killer Courses in NUS

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #61
Master Member

And for those who do think along your way, that EQ/PR are indeed the most important qualities for work, why would CAP matter as much as you seem to imply it does anyway?
QTF.

For the poster of that ridiculous statement, if it's really all that important then you dont need a "paper" in the first place.
swordsly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 12:55 AM   #62
Great Supremacy Member

maybe he is in some degree that teaches full of fluff that he doesn't need any technical expertise..
itsmezh93 likes this.
Old 17-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #63
Master Member

Well, this depends on the individual and what they are good in.

If you want a challenge, go study courses that you are not good in and aim for a first class.
Old 31-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #64

Every course in NUS is killer. Good luck
Raichu29125 likes this.
plutoplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #65
Master Member

I disagree. Two things: firstly you shouldn't assume that for everyone education is a means to some end - so what if I never get to "use" whatever I learn from a module on art appreciation or history of cold war, as long as the process itself was thoroughly satisfying? And for those who do think along your way, that EQ/PR are indeed the most important qualities for work, why would CAP matter as much as you seem to imply it does anyway?

Also, the whole idea that you can look at the list of modules and somehow pinpoint some that can "pull up CAP" is quite problematic - For modules with more than 30 students (which are >90% of the modules for which non-majors are eligible anyway) you have to stay on the right side of the bell curve to do "well". If the content is easy, you need to score higher to do well. The converse is true if it's hard. Now, neither of the 2 cases seems to stand out for people who want to "pull up CAP". Perhaps you'll say "avoid modules with a lot of ATs, don't take modules that are hardcore, etc. etc." but statements like this are usually of little relevance or based on nameless and dubious x-th hand sources. There's 0 AT in the course EN3248, but that isn't in any way suggestive of it being "easier" (or "more difficult") than another course with 80% ATs. Claims like these are highly speculative, subjective and hardly take into account personal preferences, abilities and orientations. You won't be able to find any objective and meaningful criterion with which you can appraise whether a particular module is likely to pull your CAP up.

Tl;dr version - Take whatever you like. Sitting down and trying to identify modules that are easier to score is nothing more than a fruitless exercise that wastes time. Just my 2c.
Sometimes I thinks one should only differentiate the modules base on the workload. as a mod with lesser workload will allow u to concentrate better on other modules that requires more focus. =)
Old 01-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #66
Master Member

Sometimes I thinks one should only differentiate the modules base on the workload. as a mod with lesser workload will allow u to concentrate better on other modules that requires more focus. =)
Oh please, the workload thingy is a joke.
Same module, different difficulty -> different amount of "workload" for individuals.

swordsly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:30 PM   #67
Master Member

Oh please, the workload thingy is a joke.
Same module, different difficulty -> different amount of "workload" for individuals.

i mean the number of official lesson hours. e.g. chem mods with super long lab hours.
Old 26-01-2013, 12:25 AM   #68
Banned

Selling: Notes, Tutorial & Ans, Cases, Exam papers in a Bundle!

Notes, Tutorial & Ans, Cases, Exam papers in a Bundle!

$10 per set. All materials for the respective modules are included.

Business modules:
BSP2001 Macro and International economics
BSP2005 Asian Business Environments
BSP3001 Business policy and strategy
ACC2002 Managerial Accounting

GEM/SS
GEK1511 Introduction to Computing
JS2224/SSA2205 Japan and Singapore
SC1101E Making Sense of society

ARTS
EC2101 Macroeconomics

Contact tingetint@hotmail.com if interested.
tingetint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #69

but there maybe killer professors that you may want to avoid ...
extremely good point
My Little Diary 88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:47 AM   #70

Wow. My thread became so popular - although the immature me in the past created this "killer courses in NUS" thread. It seems like killer is subjective, especially when undergraduate is the easiest of the three. Undergraduate, masters and PHD.
itsmezh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 04:58 AM   #71

Maybe it's not directly relevant to the thread but I find chemistry modules a real killer for me, a life-sciences major. I also try to avoid physics and math modules as I don't really like them.
itsmezh93 likes this.
Annyeong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #72

that depends on how you view it

Different people have different opinions on which courses are killer courses. For example, I'm from SoC and like to take many courses in Computer Science in order to fill up the requirements which otherwise I need to take in Chemistry and Biology.

But my friend, who's also an SoC student, feels that there are quite a number of CS courses which are killer courses, so she took a lot of Biology courses, and end up with a Bioinformatics degree
Erencie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 11:46 PM   #73

I think it is probably a little simplistic to generalise and attempt to qualify which courses are killer courses, for reasons already mentioned. That said, there are some courses where competition is known to be extremely tough.

Business, for one, is known to be a very competitive course. The bell curve is so screwed up. To give an example, the average for a test can be 18/20 (and an average in Business approximately translates to a B+).

Chemical engineering is also known to be very competitive.
dawnoflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #74
Supremacy Member

Well, NUS chem engin is competitive, not because everyone scores well. The papers are difficult enough to ensure that that doesnt happen. Its annoying competitive because everyone tries to outdo everyone else. People trying to get that elusive A by znging their report, ensuring that they cram in as much info as possible, with no regard for the true intention of the project.
xolp3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #75
Great Supremacy Member

real killer course... engrish
mgx-alander likes this.
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams. - W B Yeats
Geforce3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.