HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

need some advice on soc courses

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-07-2010, 01:46 PM   #1

need some advice on soc courses

between IS and e-commerce, which is more of a popular course and a more sought after job in the market???? maybe any butties care to explain more about this 2 courses?
Slayer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 01:55 PM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

EC are more business oriented than IS.
Old 27-07-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
Arch-Supremacy Member

http://www.moe.edu.sg/education/post...es/ges-nus.pdf

Rough gauge for the market. Not really accurate I suppose.
Old 27-07-2010, 02:04 PM   #4

ya...i saw the gauge before le...but then...i dunno what i can work as if i study EC leh...like very broad...IS is more towards the security side right???Which 1 harder to score ar???
Slayer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 12:48 AM   #5

Hi, would like to seek advice here, I wish to apply for SoC, but really got confuse over EC and IS. I am not good in programming, is that means I should not apply either course?

Tks for the advice pls
won0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 01:14 AM   #6
Banned

Hi, would like to seek advice here, I wish to apply for SoC, but really got confuse over EC and IS. I am not good in programming, is that means I should not apply either course?

Tks for the advice pls
I am a senior now taking EC, so can explain a bit about the programming requirement

For IS, you have to take IS2103 and Is3102 (the mega 8 mcs project), which did die have to use netbeans + Glassfish. And also, you have to take cs2105 (where u have to do network programming in java), cs2106 (which require c programming as u deal with os), cs2100 (assembly), cs2102 (sql + any damn scripting language (most chose php or javascript)). And there are also a few lvl 3k/4k is modules with hidden programming requirement but usually the language is ur choice)

For EC, there have been a restructing of the syllabus , making the syllabus more biz like. So u basically can siam cs2105, cs2100 and cs2102. But u will still have to learn basic c and java. Since cs3240 is now complusory for ec majors, you have to master flash. Also, I think in IS2150, u will have to learn an enterprise language like .net or java ee (I guess). And there is this alternative mega 8 MCs project called IS4102, where your team have to program a mega web application (although from my experience (I am the pioneer batch), can choose ur language and framework)

Last edited by Buaya_Hunter; 15-02-2011 at 01:16 AM..
Buaya_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 12:00 AM   #7
Great Supremacy Member

IS and EC not as xiong as in terms of coding compared to cs la
Old 16-02-2011, 09:34 AM   #8
Supremacy Member

ya...i saw the gauge before le...but then...i dunno what i can work as if i study EC leh...like very broad...IS is more towards the security side right???Which 1 harder to score ar???
i wouldnt think IS is more towards the security side. the syllabus can only teach u so much and security is really a wide-ranging field
dskw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 04:59 PM   #9
Banned

i wouldnt think IS is more towards the security side. the syllabus can only teach u so much and security is really a wide-ranging field
Yeap, u are right in a sense. The security syllabus in IS is more geared toward the management aspect of security (like security policies) and IT auditing...

If u want to learn the more technical stuff, better to go the cs side...
Buaya_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.