HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

NTU HSS or NUS FASS?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-03-2011, 07:06 PM   #1

NTU HSS or NUS FASS?

As above, which is more appealable in terms of academics, not chiobu zehzehs.??

which one would you choose given a choice and why?

cause i heard nus fass is a reject degree?
JaxxHao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
Supremacy Member

stirr ar stirr...
Old 13-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #3
Arch-Supremacy Member

from what i know, last academic year cutoff is ABB. go figure.
Old 13-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #4

Choose NUS lor. NTU is really ulu. No matter where you go, there will be motivated and non-motivated people.

But all the chio bu from FASS already run road to biz. If you want to beo chio bu must go biz.
reddino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #5
Great Supremacy Member

As above, which is more appealable in terms of academics, not chiobu zehzehs.??

which one would you choose given a choice and why?

if fass is reject degree, than what is NTU hss
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams. - W B Yeats
Geforce3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 08:00 PM   #6

NUS FASS reject degree. LOL

Do you know what was NUS's last year academic ranking? Haha best you do your homework first before making such sweeping statements.
mythicocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 11:58 PM   #7

Have you an idea which major you want already? If you are not absolutely sure about it NUS might be a more suitable choice as you don't have to declare your major until your second year.

However if you already know what you want to focus in and don't want to be distracted by needing to take other modules, then perhaps NTU is a better choice. If I'm not wrong and things haven't changed, NTU is a direct honours programme-- which can be a good thing if you are not sure whether you will be able to get into the honours programme at NUS.

NUS -- bigger class sizes so perhaps more competitive, multi-disciplinary, relatively more established, more varied choice of majors and minors, might be less ulu to you, not a guaranteed honours degree etc etc

NTU -- smaller class sizes, newer departments so profs might be more dynamic and willing to tread out of the mainstream, direct honours programme, major is fixed, can just focus on your major without having to worry too much about fulfilling other requirements etc etc

There are many more, but it would help if you go for tea sessions and open houses. Overall, it probably boils down to which school's culture you like more and whether you have friends inside. Academically, there might not be huge discrepancies between these two schools.
MidnightChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 12:07 AM   #8
Great Supremacy Member

Have you an idea which major you want already? If you are not absolutely sure about it NUS might be a more suitable choice as you don't have to declare your major until your second year.

However if you already know what you want to focus in and don't want to be distracted by needing to take other modules, then perhaps NTU is a better choice. If I'm not wrong and things haven't changed, NTU is a direct honours programme-- which can be a good thing if you are not sure whether you will be able to get into the honours programme at NUS.

NUS -- bigger class sizes so perhaps more competitive, multi-disciplinary, relatively more established, more varied choice of majors and minors, might be less ulu to you, not a guaranteed honours degree etc etc

NTU -- smaller class sizes, newer departments so profs might be more dynamic and willing to tread out of the mainstream, direct honours programme, major is fixed, can just focus on your major without having to worry too much about fulfilling other requirements etc etc

There are many more, but it would help if you go for tea sessions and open houses. Overall, it probably boils down to which school's culture you like more and whether you have friends inside. Academically, there might not be huge discrepancies between these two schools.
if u are already f up for your grades, a direct honours means nothing since you don't qualify for the honours classification
Old 16-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #9

if u are already f up for your grades, a direct honours means nothing since you don't qualify for the honours classification
and you still have to do 4 years in NTU to graduate without honours because they do not allow you to graduate after 3 years (unlike NUS). that's 1 extra year of tuition fee + 1 year of loss income.

Last edited by Pac_Man; 16-03-2011 at 07:15 PM..
Pac_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 07:15 PM   #10

if fass is reject degree, than what is NTU hss
here's the cut-off for everyone's reference...

ABB/B NUS Arts & Social Sciences
BBB/B NTU Psychology
BBB/C NTU Economics
BBB/C NTU Sociology
BBC/C NTU Linguistics & Multilingual Studies
BCC/B NTU English
BCC/B NTU Chinese
Old 16-03-2011, 07:23 PM   #11

I don't see how NTU profs are any more dynamic than NUS profs

And that's complete nonsense about focusing on your major.
NTU HSS students have to do 50-55 AUs of electives (depending on your major, eg psychology requires 54, while sociology requires 51).
This is more than 1/3 of your entire degree program, which is not that different from FASS.

Every year it seems like there are people on this forum propagating false information when comparing NUS FASS and NTU HSS.

Last edited by Pac_Man; 16-03-2011 at 07:26 PM..
Old 16-03-2011, 08:24 PM   #12
Great Supremacy Member

NTU HSS students have to do 50-55 AUs of electives (depending on your major, eg psychology requires 54, while sociology requires 51).
This is more than 1/3 of your entire degree program, which is not that different from FASS.

Every year it seems like there are people on this forum propagating false information when comparing NUS FASS and NTU HSS.
the most classic one, go FASS must bid for modules/major, if I want to major in XXX, there is a chance I can't do it cause of this unlike in NTU...
Old 18-03-2011, 01:17 AM   #13

Actually, the info was what was conveyed to me when I went for the different tea sessions by the schools a few years ago. I asked the NTU profs what makes HSS stand out, and they told me *wink wink nudge nudge style* that as pioneers they were willing to break new ground and venture out of the relatively staid education system. Not the exact words, but the implicit meaning.

And I didn't exactly state NTU profs are more dynamic, but might be considered more dynamic than NUS profs.

As for the direct honours programme, it should be quite obvious that bad grades will not ensure you that honours degree, that's why I didn't mention that. Of course it seems to be an oversight on my part, my apologies then, I should have said "if you get really f up grades, you will get nowhere even with the direct honours programme."
However, the direct honours programme might serve as a motivation to push you to work towards keeping the honours grade. It's like Medisave is an opt-out programme, but most people choose to keep it than to opt-out, you tend to want to maintain the status quo.

Also an apology about not stating NTU's curriculumn, the thing about focusing more on your major in NTU was also said to me by the NTU profs during the tea sessions when I asked for comparisons between NUS and NTU, I probably shouldn't have taken them at face value.

Ultimately, as I've already said in my previous post, it depends on which school's culture you're more comfortable with because there's probably not much difference in terms of standard between those two schools. It's very useful also if you mention which majors you're interested in, so that people familiar with those majors would be able to tell you more about how they're taught.
Old 18-03-2011, 01:25 AM   #14
Great Supremacy Member

Actually, the info was what was conveyed to me when I went for the different tea sessions by the schools a few years ago. I asked the NTU profs what makes HSS stand out, and they told me *wink wink nudge nudge style* that as pioneers they were willing to break new ground and venture out of the relatively staid education system. Not the exact words, but the implicit meaning.

And I didn't exactly state NTU profs are more dynamic, but might be considered more dynamic than NUS profs.

As for the direct honours programme, it should be quite obvious that bad grades will not ensure you that honours degree, that's why I didn't mention that. Of course it seems to be an oversight on my part, my apologies then, I should have said "if you get really f up grades, you will get nowhere even with the direct honours programme."
However, the direct honours programme might serve as a motivation to push you to work towards keeping the honours grade. It's like Medisave is an opt-out programme, but most people choose to keep it than to opt-out, you tend to want to maintain the status quo.

Also an apology about not stating NTU's curriculumn, the thing about focusing more on your major in NTU was also said to me by the NTU profs during the tea sessions when I asked for comparisons between NUS and NTU, I probably shouldn't have taken them at face value.

Ultimately, as I've already said in my previous post, it depends on which school's culture you're more comfortable with because there's probably not much difference in terms of standard between those two schools. It's very useful also if you mention which majors you're interested in, so that people familiar with those majors would be able to tell you more about how they're taught.
Pure BS from the profs. Looking at who they are trying to hire for their new history department, it isn't that much different (I would say inferior at the current moment) to NUS History department. All the talk that NUS history dept from Liu Hong the new head of HSS is also bull****.

Also, don't trust a lecturer to know the academic system, most of them know far less than students

Lastly, sorry but I do think NUS FASS is way stronger than NTU HSS and SMU Social Sciences

Last edited by Geforce3; 18-03-2011 at 01:28 AM..
Old 18-03-2011, 01:34 AM   #15

I couldn't help but chuckle at your post, you sound like you got the bad end of a deal. Are you from NTU history? Any experience to share?
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.