HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

NUS computing course

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-02-2011, 12:28 AM   #16
Greater Supremacy Member

erm just wanna find out other than the 8mc proj, any other mods under new prog structure that requires hardcore prog? Anything abt IT and CRM, ERP or SCM or other related mod is more towards theory or proj? Thanks.
CRM/SCM no need programming

ERP is jus learn to use the ERP software i heard, if u know wad ERP software r in the 1st place
mata_hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 12:58 AM   #17
Banned

erm just wanna find out other than the 8mc proj, any other mods under new prog structure that requires hardcore prog? Anything abt IT and CRM, ERP or SCM or other related mod is more towards theory or proj? Thanks.
U ish ec rite:

Core modules (assuming u clear ur clear cs1010, cs1020 and watso ever)

IS2150 - E-Business Design and Implementation: Not yet offered, from the module description, can't run away from programming

CS3240 - Human Computer Interaction: Nuff say.

Electives:

IS3220 Service Science - Basically a fluffy module (thing like service experience), but the last third of the module actually touch the basic service-oriented architecture, which is sort of like high level software design methology

IS3241 Enterprise Social Systems- From FR from my peers this sem, the lect made them program a mobile social app for assignment this sem

CS3235 Introduction to Computer Security - This one is see heng suay. If u take under the AT prof, is just tut and lect. If take under the ang mor, might have programming project (though when I finally take his mod, only left need to do labs)

CS3249 Elements of User Interface Design - Nuff say

IS4224 Service Systems - Higher IS3220 with more high level fluff (as in u learnt service (as in real life service interactions) theorems) and more advanced SOA.

IS4227 Enterprise Service Oriented Architecture - One of horror module in IS dept. Is the 4MCs younger brother of the 8MCs project, with a tingle of SOA and still the same workload (aa claimed by my brave 8MCs project mate)

IS4240 Business Intelligence Systems - Heard from my friend got programming, but is more using stat software to do stuff like data mining and optimization. A lot of ppl try to avoid this mod as well
Buaya_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 01:00 AM   #18
Great Supremacy Member

i taking IS2150 for the love of programming
Old 18-02-2011, 01:03 AM   #19
Banned

i taking IS2150 for the love of programming
Spoilt Market....
Old 20-02-2011, 11:19 PM   #20
Supremacy Member

U will become Hardcore programmer when is ur turn to take the 8mcs projects, regardless which version u taking....
once in a while hardcore nvm la.. at least not every single day hardcore can liao lol
spiritGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #21
Banned

once in a while hardcore nvm la.. at least not every single day hardcore can liao lol
The once in a while last 14 weeks (plus 2-3 weeks if u have to take final exam) per session

Though the programming modules in nus is not epicly hard, it still pack enough power to make the average student hate the workload (and the weak students to feel lost in the module), especially if u try to do thing slast minute
Old 21-02-2011, 04:53 PM   #22
Supremacy Member

Depends on how you define hardcore programming though. Some people hate low level programming, some might hate extensive higher level programming. I see so many people saying how tough cs2020 is going to be, but honestly I think it's really a piece of cake. It depends on how you personally like it, who knows, you might hate the programming stuff you did before, but you might like the new programming stuff you are going to learn, programming itself is a very broad field.
fzhfzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #23
Great Supremacy Member

Depends on how you define hardcore programming though. Some people hate low level programming, some might hate extensive higher level programming. I see so many people saying how tough cs2020 is going to be, but honestly I think it's really a piece of cake. It depends on how you personally like it, who knows, you might hate the programming stuff you did before, but you might like the new programming stuff you are going to learn, programming itself is a very broad field.
i hate low lvl programming
Old 21-02-2011, 07:34 PM   #24
Greater Supremacy Member

buaya u did which 8mc?
Old 21-02-2011, 10:47 PM   #25
Banned

buaya u did which 8mc?
IS4102.....

The one that allows u to use anything (php, jsp, asp.net, u calling) instead of IS3102, the one that it complusory to use netbean+glassfish+jsp combo
Old 21-02-2011, 10:49 PM   #26
Greater Supremacy Member

IS4102.....

The one that allows u to use anything (php, jsp, asp.net, u calling) instead of IS3102, the one that it complusory to use netbean+glassfish+jsp combo
oh ure EC

u know anything about the IS' 8mc?
Old 22-02-2011, 04:51 PM   #27
Banned

oh ure EC

u know anything about the IS' 8mc?
Never took the module, so can't offer any substantial advise about the module beside general stuff like group dynamics....

But think here got a few IS lao jiao lurking around..... Maybe they can help u

Or maybe u can ask the lao jiao u know...
Old 23-02-2011, 11:44 AM   #28
Greater Supremacy Member

Never took the module, so can't offer any substantial advise about the module beside general stuff like group dynamics....

But think here got a few IS lao jiao lurking around..... Maybe they can help u

Or maybe u can ask the lao jiao u know...
then for ur case, wad was the group size and did you group have ppl with decent technical skills (programming/designing)?
Old 23-02-2011, 12:43 PM   #29
Banned

then for ur case, wad was the group size and did you group have ppl with decent technical skills (programming/designing)?
I hv written a review of IS4102 here:
http://module-review.com/cs3266-e-co...nologies-2059/

But that is really meant for IS4102 as IS4102 marking scheme favour consistent work over final presentation (As while for IS3102, I remember that my IS project mates (for the other mod) tld me that the final system release/presentation is worth close to 50%) and that the weightage of documentation has about the same weightage as the actual programming component.

Group size wise, I think IS3102 group size is 6 while we start up with 5.

Skill-wise, you actually need ppl with a good mix of skills to complement each other. Yes, there must be people who have good programming/design skills but you also must have ppl who have things like :

1. people/project management skills (cos it is very easy to kena all sort of problems (from ur other pending commitment to ppl who refuse to work due to reason who knows))

2. documentation (I don't ppl who are tok-kong in report writing but ppl who can understand the code/design well and write reasonably well to describe about the system ur group is developing)

3. System/requirement analyst - At this level, there is no assignment spec you can zhun zhun follow (unlike the lvl 1/2k programming mod)to the letter and you are not dealing with trivial programs where you can treat them like problem sum, plan a few min and code away after that. So someone must be able to decide what to do, how to do and plan the blue-print of system. The last thing you want is feature creep or realising that ur group got no skills to implement this (By the way, there is penalties for this in IS3102 and IS4102)

That is what I realised while I took the 8MCs mod.

Personal experience:

I should have kena jialat jialat from this module cos the odds are quite against our group.

Our batch was the suay pioneer batch to the mod (cos last time, our stream just need to take cs3266, which is pair work). Most of the ppl taking the mod who are lao jiao miss cs3266 and taking it in order to grad, with only a few yr3like me(I was still considered yr3 then).

So connection-wise, I did lose out and have to like find ppl using ivle forum when most ppl have form their group. (Some more, I only bid for the mod in round 3)

Then, after halfway through, our group UI artist drop out and everyone had to handle "its" work on top of our workload... It is really the hard time

The only thing that keep us going was our leader aka god, who really know his stuff, willing to mentor us and willing
to trust everyone of us. And it helps that everyone remaining was responsible and knew how to support each other (We had one fella who was attempting 5 other module on top of this project) when the need arises.

I was lucky to be in that group but for this kind of module, don't follow my example and leave it to chance. Choosing the ideal group of ppl is half the battle won

Last edited by Buaya_Hunter; 23-02-2011 at 01:07 PM..
Old 23-02-2011, 12:54 PM   #30
Greater Supremacy Member

I hv written a review of IS4102 here:
http://module-review.com/cs3266-e-co...nologies-2059/

But that is really meant for IS4102 as IS4102 marking scheme favour consistent work over final presentation (As while for IS3102, I remember that my IS project mates (for the other mod) tld me that the final system release/presentation is worth close to 50%) and that the weightage of documentation has about the same weightage as the actual programming component.

Group size wise, I think IS3102 group size is 6 while we start up with 5 (but end up tahaning with 4 cos someone drop the mod half way - That was a hell of experience). Seriously, any team less than 5 mean big trouble (I personally can attest to this)

Skill-wise, you actually need ppl with a good mix of skills to complement each other. Yes, there must be people who have good programming/design skills but you also must have ppl who have things like :

1. people/project management skills (cos it is very easy to kena all sort of problems (from ur other pending commitment to ppl who refuse to work due to reason who knows))

2. documentation (I don't ppl who are tok-kong in report writing but ppl who can understand the code/design well and write reasonably well to describe about the system ur group is developing)

3. System/requirement analyst - At this level, there is no assignment spec you can zhun zhun follow (unlike the lvl 1/2k programming mod)to the letter and you are not dealing with trivial programs where you can treat them like problem sum, plan a few min and code away after that. So someone must be able to decide what to do, how to do and plan the blue-print of system. The last thing you want is feature creep or realising that ur group got no skills to implement this (By the way, there is penalties for this in IS3102 and IS4102)
im kinda worried about the condition of my prospective group mates for the 8mc

we have been doing group work together since last sem so we kinda 讲好好 8mc together also

but as of now, the skill level of my group doesnt seem to be sufficient for a big technical project

and i may end up cleaning up reports too
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.