HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

NUS Computing (Information Systems) Sem 1

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2011, 04:03 PM   #46

Advance Placement Credits

Hello guys, I'm also a freshie in IS this year, from Nanyang Poly Diploma in Multimedia and Infocomm Technology.

I have somewhat the same concerns with the thread starter, and I find this thread to be quite useful, so hopefully what I ask can be googled by other students as well.

One thing I still can't quite figure is the Advance Placement Credits for poly students. For example:

Diploma holders of approved programmes from Polytechnics in Singapore admitted to a 120-MC or 160-MC programme may be granted APCs in relevant modules for up to a maximum of 40 MCs, as follows:
  • Up to 8 MCs for University Level Requirements, comprising one General Education Module and one Breadth Module;
  • Up to 12 MCs for Unrestricted Elective Modules; and
  • Up to 20 MCs for Programme Requirements.
Does this mean I only need to fulfill 12MCs for ULR and 8MCs for UE?

With effect from AY2011/12, for diploma holders to be granted the relevant APCs for Programme Requirements , the diploma must have been completed within the last 5 years prior to the year of admission to the University.
This part is quite straightforward.

However, the 20 MCs of APCs for the University Level Requirements and Unrestricted Elective Modules will be awarded to all diploma holders of approved programmes from Polytechnics in Singapore, regardless of when the diploma was completed, in recognition of the overall knowledge gained from a Polytechnic education.
So instead of 160MCs, I now have to clear 140MCs by default since I am a diploma holder?

These 20 MCs of APCs are tagged at Level-1000. However, the 12 MCs from Unrestricted Electives will not be counted against the 60-MC limit on Level-1000 modules. This is because many Level-1000 modules are essential modules that students must complete before they can progress to the next level. For Polytechnic diploma holders admitted to the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, all 20 MCs of APCs will be counted against the 60-MC limit on Level-1000 modules.

I know this is only w.e.f AY2011/2012 but any seniors have experience with regards to APCs or transferring credits?
deathack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:13 PM   #47
Greater Supremacy Member

it means u r exempted 12MCs for ULR and 8MCs for UE

u will take by default, 160 - up to 8 - up to 12 - up to 20...
mata_hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:15 PM   #48
Great Supremacy Member

Hello guys, I'm also a freshie in IS this year, from Nanyang Poly Diploma in Multimedia and Infocomm Technology.

I have somewhat the same concerns with the thread starter, and I find this thread to be quite useful, so hopefully what I ask can be googled by other students as well.

One thing I still can't quite figure is the Advance Placement Credits for poly students. For example:

Diploma holders of approved programmes from Polytechnics in Singapore admitted to a 120-MC or 160-MC programme may be granted APCs in relevant modules for up to a maximum of 40 MCs, as follows:
  • Up to 8 MCs for University Level Requirements, comprising one General Education Module and one Breadth Module;
  • Up to 12 MCs for Unrestricted Elective Modules; and
  • Up to 20 MCs for Programme Requirements.
Does this mean I only need to fulfill 12MCs for ULR and 8MCs for UE?

With effect from AY2011/12, for diploma holders to be granted the relevant APCs for Programme Requirements , the diploma must have been completed within the last 5 years prior to the year of admission to the University.
This part is quite straightforward.

However, the 20 MCs of APCs for the University Level Requirements and Unrestricted Elective Modules will be awarded to all diploma holders of approved programmes from Polytechnics in Singapore, regardless of when the diploma was completed, in recognition of the overall knowledge gained from a Polytechnic education.
So instead of 160MCs, I now have to clear 140MCs by default since I am a diploma holder?

These 20 MCs of APCs are tagged at Level-1000. However, the 12 MCs from Unrestricted Electives will not be counted against the 60-MC limit on Level-1000 modules. This is because many Level-1000 modules are essential modules that students must complete before they can progress to the next level. For Polytechnic diploma holders admitted to the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, all 20 MCs of APCs will be counted against the 60-MC limit on Level-1000 modules.

I know this is only w.e.f AY2011/2012 but any seniors have experience with regards to APCs or transferring credits?
I thought my post in the first page should be well defined enough
To clear ULR u need to kill 1 SS 1 GEM and 1 Breadth just remember this will do

u wlll have 2 modules of unrestricted elective (8MCs) - Any faculty and module u happy can riao

160 - 20 = 140
140 - the exemption mods in your diploma = amount of MCs to complete

Max no. of 1k modules MCs =
60 - 12 - the exemption mods in your diploma (mods that starts with 1)
Old 08-08-2011, 04:23 PM   #49

I thought my post in the first page should be well defined enough
To clear ULR u need to kill 1 SS 1 GEM and 1 Breadth just remember this will do

u wlll have 2 modules of unrestricted elective (8MCs) - Any faculty and module u happy can riao

160 - 20 = 140
140 - the exemption mods in your diploma = amount of MCs to complete

60 - 12 - the exemption mods in your diploma (mods that starts with 1)
Ahh.. That's better! Thanks a billion!
deathack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:44 PM   #50
Great Supremacy Member

sry
shld be

60 - 8 - the exemption mods in your diploma (mods that starts with 1)
Old 02-09-2011, 03:10 PM   #51

hi guyz, i would like to ask on whats the diff between SMU IS and NUS IS. Alot of people is saying that SMU IS is much better than NUS IS. When I ask why they jz say that NUS CS and CE are a much better choice than NUS IS. As for SMU they are much more specialized in IS.

Here is the dilemma that i am facing right now. I have to apply for uni bcz i am completing my dip soon. Therefore, I am doing alot of reading on the net regarding the courses from various universities. Thx in advance!
fLf.010210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:19 PM   #52
Great Supremacy Member

SMU is fluff
Old 02-09-2011, 03:43 PM   #53

SMU is fluff
fluff?? wat do u mean.

Btw i am from NYP DEI too so ur my senior heahea. Whats ur CGPA to be able to enter CS in NUS?
Old 02-09-2011, 04:13 PM   #54
Great Supremacy Member

i got 3.76 but that was in 2008
Old 02-09-2011, 05:09 PM   #55
Banned

fluff?? wat do u mean.

Btw i am from NYP DEI too so ur my senior heahea. Whats ur CGPA to be able to enter CS in NUS?
Honestly, if you want to go IS track, please go for smu is program. The scope of the nus is program is narrow in comparsion to smu program
Buaya_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:43 AM   #56

Honestly, if you want to go IS track, please go for smu is program. The scope of the nus is program is narrow in comparsion to smu program
hmm I duno man SMU abit too hardcore in terms of workload and competitiveness. Afterall, NUS much more recognized globally in terms of accreditation of their courses.

Btw, does IS courses involve alot of programming and big projects for specific modules? Be it in SMU or NUS. Coz to be honest in my 2 1/2 yrs of poly education i am inadvertently getting bored of programming ~.~.

Appreciate ur feedbacks and arguments if any thx!
Old 03-09-2011, 12:55 AM   #57
Great Supremacy Member

i am addicted to programming

but IS programming in NUS is not fierce other than the few core mods

duno SMU but i heard ppl say SMU ppl cant code
Old 03-09-2011, 01:41 AM   #58
Greater Supremacy Member

hmm I duno man SMU abit too hardcore in terms of workload and competitiveness. Afterall, NUS much more recognized globally in terms of accreditation of their courses.

Btw, does IS courses involve alot of programming and big projects for specific modules? Be it in SMU or NUS. Coz to be honest in my 2 1/2 yrs of poly education i am inadvertently getting bored of programming ~.~.

Appreciate ur feedbacks and arguments if any thx!
go SMU, wont go wrong

heard SMU is well connected with popular names in the industry through the attachments/internships...
mata_hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:04 PM   #59

go SMU, wont go wrong

heard SMU is well connected with popular names in the industry through the attachments/internships...
NUS also have a wide connections in terms of big company names right?
Old 11-09-2011, 05:15 PM   #60
Supremacy Member

NUS also have a wide connections in terms of big company names right?
All local unis actually have wide connections. The problem is, how good you are. If you have high CAP or good cv, connections open up to you, if you are barely passing without any achievements, how wide the connection also no use.
fzhfzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.