HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

NUS: CORS

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2007, 12:00 AM   #1
Honorary Member

NUS: CORS

CORS (aka Centralised Online Regirstration System)

Well all freshies will have to face the monster known as CORS (Can only rely on skill? haha).

Here's a low down on what to expect. (No pictures though, sorry)

A) Bidding Rounds

Rd 0
Rd 0 is for you to see the modules you can bid for, and for people to bid for modules in advance. If you are going for holidays or cannot bid for certain rounds, please use this feature (you can do advance bidding in other rounds also).

There are several rounds namely, 1A,B,C, 2A,B,C, 3A,B,C,D,E,F

Mainly you should be worried during rounds 1A,2A,3A because this is the period modules would open up for bidding. Newbies will only get to bid during round 1C(the semester they enter, usually sem 1) because round 1A,B happens before that (to protect the seniors from a rush of newbies too)

Round 1 : bid for core essentials... i.e. modules you need to fulfill core requirements =>points come from programme account. (protection from cross faculty, ie certain quota for your faculty/course e.g. 50)

Round 2 : Breadth/GEM/SS - you are able to bid for modules to fulfill breadth, gem(general modules) or SS (Singapore studies) requirements. Still able to bid for modules you didn't manage to bid from in round 1.
In this round breadth,core modules=>(protection from cross faculty, ie certain quota for your faculty/course eg. 50), SS=>(compete with whole NUS for the modules)
During this round you will most probably be using a LOT of general account points.

Round 3: Floodgate opens. Able to bid for all modules and will be competing against whole NUS. Able to bid for over your MC limit(eg. previously can only take 20MC, now able to add up to 28 MC)

B)Bidding
You are allocated 350 general points, 700 programme points every semester .. extras for filling up the course feedback at the end of every semester

(i think around 30 extra points)

[Update: I have received some feedback that this figure depends on the faculty/school you are from...]
[Update: for those who did feedback in 2007/8, 100 extra points are given)

Anyway, its up to you when to spend the points, usually rule of thumb is 1 pt is the best.. but sometimes you just cant get the module esp if its popular... so try to login regularly to monitor (perhaps once in the morning, once before closed bidding, and once before bidding ends) if you really need the module... Of course , if you have lots of points stored up(points carry forward) you could just dump all your points in and not worry(although there are cases where these people don't get their intended module). Just make sure you spend wisely and don't squander more points then you need...(unless you are in the final year, and thats another story).

Spending >600 for a general/singapore studies module is common ...(more than two sems of General pts) so if you really want to get into a particular module check in advance what is the popularity of the module+ the pts needed for it. You can check bidding history for the previous semesters through the CORS site.

Another aspect is closed and open bidding. Initially, you are able to see what other students are bidding for the module. However at about 3 hours before the end of the round, this is disabled and adds to the suspence you need to be extra careful during this stage. You can still see the number of bidders though, and can decide your move from there.

Do note that if you decide to raise your bid, you can ONLY put in a bid equal/above the minimum required, i.e. be careful of dropping modules if you happen to have less than the amount required. (This can happen if you get outbidded)

B1) Bidding part 2

I) Dropping modules
Once allocated a module, you have a choice of either keeping a module or dropping it. Be care of this though as there are several things to note here.

a) Dropping a module during bidding period will not have any effects on your grade(or CAP) whatsoever, however, you do lose up to half the points you "won" the module at. E.g. if you got the module at 100 pts, 50 points will be refunded. Modules gotten at 1 pt will have no refund.

b) Dropping a module after bidding period has ended (After round 3), will lead to either: -
a W grade: if you withdraw before a few weeks into the semester
or worse
a F grade: if you withdraw more than the cutoff period for the W grade.

Try not to get into the second situation as a F grade is VERY DAMAGING on your CAP.

II) Module Management
One very important aspect of CORS bidding is module management. For SOC students, we are usually capped at 22MCs(Modular credits) during the first two rounds of bidding. So typically, that means around 5 modules. For those who wish to overload to 6 or 7 modules(Max is seven, i believe), you would have to wait until round 3. So do try to bid for modules that you really need during the first 2 rounds, unless you are really confident of obtaining the them during the third round.

Use the appeal system only as a last resort!.

C) Results
The results of your bidding will be known a few hours after the end of bidding. An email will be sent to your NUS exchange email account. So do keep a lookout for that important email!

D)Appeal
sometimes if for some circumstances you cant get the module you NEED, you can appeal to get into them(provided there is vancancy). If you play your cards right, you could end up spending less points then others (i spent 0 pts on a module others spent 300+ on)

Anyway, CORS bidding is like a RTS game, you need to do your homework, and keep a constant lookout of the modules you are bidding for. Blatant spending of points means the resources you have for the next semesters depletes. So plan, prioritise and get the modules you want

[Update]
For some faculties, like the FASS, there's a pre-allocation round for you to indicate modules to take. These modules will be allocated for you automatically

[TIPS]
1. Getting a hot module
Sometimes you might have the tendency to try to bid with others for a module with limited vacancies. However are you sure you want to give up those valuable points? Do check whether there will be further quota allocated in other rounds for [new students] or [returning students] or [nus students]. Sometimes the modules will be left with much more vacancies in round 3A, you could probably get it for 1 point. However even if you had gotten it for a much higher point in the earlier round, you could drop [For a refund of half the points] and bid again to get it at the lower bid amount, thereby recovering quite a fair bit of points

2. Try not to overload your last sems
For those taking HYP/FYP (Ranging from 8 MCs - 16 MCs) depending on faculty, you will be automatically allocated half the MCs each sem. This means you will not be able to bid for as much modules as you can compared to previous semesters. E.g. For SOC, 6 MC will be allocated for HYP each semester. Thus, during the first 2 round of bidding, you can only bid for 16mc (with 22MC as the CAP). Therefore, it is imperative for you to properly plan what modules you want to have in the final semester Remember there's the option to:
:- overload modules during earlier semesters to reduce workload
:- taking modules during special semester
:- extending your stay in NUS -> (of course have to pay for the extra period)

p.s. sorrry for the mess... you can also refer to www.cors.nus.edu.sg and look at the FAQ over there

p.p.s There's also tutorial balloting, but that's another story
--------
Please note that this guide was not updated since jan 2008.

Last edited by The_Davis; 22-06-2009 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: Add round Zero
The_Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:13 AM   #2

thanks davis for such a well written guide! freshies like me sure nid it!
Nintendo Switch, Sony PS4 Pro
HWZ Android subforum
siandiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:35 AM   #3
Great Supremacy Member

Pre-allocate for the ftw, no need fight with chao freshies haha
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams. - W B Yeats
Geforce3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:36 AM   #4
Great Supremacy Member

ehh dude, different fac get different points, arts get many many g pts Anyway i got my ss for 1 pt nia heehee
Old 03-07-2007, 12:48 AM   #5
Great Supremacy Member

really ah? dunno leh.. always tot its a fair game
no rah ppl like those loctor no need pray cors one
Old 03-07-2007, 01:16 AM   #6
Master Member

you mean those taking medicine, dentistry, law no play cors?
Nope. And to certain extent, engineering students too (I say to a certain extent because some core modules are pre-allocated to them without their bidding, but they will have to compete for gems, ss, and business modules).
idalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:56 PM   #7
Banned

Pre-allocate for the ftw, no need fight with chao freshies haha
no need pre-allocate my 2000+ P points pwn everyone deep deep
sgpeasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:14 PM   #8
Great Supremacy Member

no need pre-allocate my 2000+ P points pwn everyone deep deep
i think last sem use 5 pts think 1k ++?? but then pre-allocate better
Old 03-07-2007, 09:09 PM   #9
Banned

lol there were people who showed hand 5k last sem
5k? how is that possible?

1 sem 600

honours 8 sems x 600 also 4800 nia leh
Old 03-07-2007, 10:23 PM   #10
Banned

FASS peepz get only 600 per sem.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:31 AM   #11
Great Supremacy Member

FAS GAPS and MPE open roh
Old 04-07-2007, 11:33 AM   #12
Banned

how to mpe when lecturers didn't even update course syllabus and CA component

@$%#$^#^@%@....
Old 14-07-2007, 12:08 AM   #13
Master Member

Thanks for your help so far Davis. BTW, from your experience is there a concise brief given on CORS during freshie orientation?
Kak_Worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2007, 01:44 PM   #14
Banned

who planned modules liao?
Old 16-07-2007, 01:01 AM   #15
Great Supremacy Member

i planned liao just left bidding for gems and see MPE get all the mods or not
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.