HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

NUS FASS psychology

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #1

NUS FASS psychology

Hi guys, may I know is psychology a math intensive programme? I understand that we need to learn statistics (Research & Statistical Methods) but are a lot of the modules mathematical? I am appealing to FASS and intending to major in psychology later on. Thanks for the help.
radicalshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 05:36 AM   #2

Hi guys, may I know is psychology a math intensive programme? I understand that we need to learn statistics (Research & Statistical Methods) but are a lot of the modules mathematical? I am appealing to FASS and intending to major in psychology later on. Thanks for the help.
im an ec major from fass. based on my knowledge (from my pysch friends) the one stats mod is probably the only mathematical mod, most are just pure memory work for exams, and the memory work is known to be insane for psych.
mihawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
Banned

Memorize so much is a waste of time
Dr.Bonadaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #4

im an ec major from fass. based on my knowledge (from my pysch friends) the one stats mod is probably the only mathematical mod, most are just pure memory work for exams, and the memory work is known to be insane for psych.
Hi mihawk, thanks for the info. That's great, since I am not good in Math and prefer more reading/writing.
radicalshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
Master Member

Hi mihawk, thanks for the info. That's great, since I am not good in Math and prefer more reading/writing.

avoid econ then, rest should be fine
tehhalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #6

hi radicalshift, yes you are right, there is a compulsory statistics mod, PL2131 that you need to take in NUS and get at least a B- to major in psychology.

it is slightly trickier than it seems because i know a few friends who failed it and must change major in the end... and psychology is a lot of mugging, so be prepared...
Old 13-06-2012, 10:19 PM   #7
Master Member

hi radicalshift, yes you are right, there is a compulsory statistics mod, PL2131 that you need to take in NUS and get at least a B- to major in psychology.

it is slightly trickier than it seems because i know a few friends who failed it and must change major in the end... and psychology is a lot of mugging, so be prepared...
your fail meaning never hit the minimum requirement of B- or get F grade totally?
Old 14-06-2012, 11:28 AM   #8

Not to be pessimistic or anything, but if you have trouble even getting a B- for PL1101E or PL2131, you are going to die for the other modules. The B- cutoff for psych majors is there for a reason ...

PL2132 is much harder than PL2131, and when you do the compulsory lab module, the prof is probably going to expect you to do the stats yourself. Most of the lvl 3000 and 4000 mods will also need you to be able to interpret the experimental design and results quickly. So, getting a good grasp of the basics is very important.

Good news is, if you do know your stuff, you don't need to mug (and yes, you can know your stuff without mugging).
SilentInstigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #9

well, psych has less math than econs but more math than other majors like sociology.
tedXted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 12:47 AM   #10
Master Member

Not to be pessimistic or anything, but if you have trouble even getting a B- for PL1101E or PL2131, you are going to die for the other modules. The B- cutoff for psych majors is there for a reason ...

PL2132 is much harder than PL2131, and when you do the compulsory lab module, the prof is probably going to expect you to do the stats yourself. Most of the lvl 3000 and 4000 mods will also need you to be able to interpret the experimental design and results quickly. So, getting a good grasp of the basics is very important.

Good news is, if you do know your stuff, you don't need to mug (and yes, you can know your stuff without mugging).

not simpur....
upforawareness
Old 18-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #11

your fail meaning never hit the minimum requirement of B- or get F grade totally?
Hi, my mistake. I mean hit the min. requirement of B- and not get F grade. Thanks for pointing out!
Old 25-06-2012, 11:26 PM   #12

WHy avoid econs??
theinspiringtutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #13

WHy avoid econs??
Cos econs majors smelly
gobbyyy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #14
Banned

lots of memorising for psych. if u are prepared for it, go for it.
alisonfisher325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #15
Banned

lots of memorising for psych. if u are prepared for it, go for it.
Psychology is quite bull.sh.it

Memorization of psychology theories is a wrong method of studying Psychology
Dr.Bonadaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.