Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

NUS ppl lip lai - Part 3

Like Tree113Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-05-2011, 08:33 PM   #61
Arch-Supremacy Member

yeah lor

i think their bonus tie to GDP growth is it? not sure.
we should peg their pay to the bottom 10% GDP per capita
Old 13-05-2011, 08:35 PM   #62
Master Member

we should peg their pay to the bottom 10% GDP per capita
then 'private sector will steal all our talent'
Old 13-05-2011, 08:35 PM   #63
Supremacy Member

i think the mrt also got problem because the trains during peak come every 1-2min they are literally just behind each other. in anycase our system is fked in the short run. they better fix it by the next ge2016
They are definitely going to have problem in this. Careful and deliberate city planning had always been their bragging right over other countries. However, it's only because we never had the problem of rapidly changing number of population like what most other larger nations will face. Right now, they are facing this problem, with population numbers swelling and city already more or less fixed that could not accommodate changes. If you played simcity with a very well planned city with everything measured perfectly, followed by a huge growth in population, you will know how screwed it is.
Old 13-05-2011, 08:37 PM   #64
Supremacy Member

then 'private sector will steal all our talent'
Ruling talents usually have a high need of self-actualization where material gains seldom matters anymore. If the talent is one that is attracted by money, we really have to question ourselves whether he is really a talent of ruling caliber.
Old 13-05-2011, 08:37 PM   #65
Master Member

They are definitely going to have problem in this. Careful and deliberate city planning had always been their bragging right over other countries. However, it's only because we never had the problem of rapidly changing number of population like what most other larger nations will face. Right now, they are facing this problem, with population numbers swelling and city already more or less fixed that could not accommodate changes. If you played simcity with a very well planned city with everything measured perfectly, followed by a huge growth in population, you will know how screwed it is.
Well I guess they allowed this immigration in the first place. I am going to dedicate 25% of my report to this lol.
Old 13-05-2011, 08:38 PM   #66
Master Member

they decide their own pay isnt it? anyone else see a conflict of interest?
Old 13-05-2011, 08:41 PM   #67
Supremacy Member

they decide their own pay isnt it? anyone else see a conflict of interest?
I doubt the people who made the decision really did it for their own pay, people like LKY, LHL etc have more than enough money to last 10 lifetimes of luxury. Considering that they have control over Temasek Holdings, I doubt they really care about the million+ pay annually. It's probably true that they really wanted to attracted talents with the pay instead of inflating their own pockets, but increasing pay to attract talents, IMO, is a wrong move.
Old 13-05-2011, 08:42 PM   #68
Master Member

I doubt the people who made the decision really did it for their own pay, people like LKY, LHL etc have more than enough money to last 10 lifetimes of luxury. Considering that they have control over Temasek Holdings, I doubt they really care about the million+ pay annually. It's probably true that they really wanted to attracted talents with the pay instead of inflating their own pockets, but increasing pay to attract talents, IMO, is a wrong move.
okay, i don't have enough info to make an informed judgement also.
Old 13-05-2011, 08:54 PM   #69
Great Supremacy Member

WOT? kent ridge station gonna delay opening? what smoke are they smoking, dont they know they need to serve the students as well?
Old 13-05-2011, 09:41 PM   #70
Banned

Just as well....
Old 13-05-2011, 10:06 PM   #71
Supremacy Member

I think the current situation is damn jialat. even if you double the number of buses, you'll only cause more traffic jams. roads too crowded public transport also too crowded. that day I took mrt in the morning the next train was just behind queuing to come but both trains were full seriously wtf?
You haven't seen incidents in which the platform was so crowded, people had difficulty alighting. Experienced it a couple of times last month.
Old 13-05-2011, 10:12 PM   #72
Supremacy Member

WOT? kent ridge station gonna delay opening? what smoke are they smoking, dont they know they need to serve the students as well?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_Ridge_MRT_Station

Ok, my mistake, it's only the exit to the hospital that is only opening in 2012.

But sian, no exit to central library... means still need to take internal shuttle bus after MRT...
Old 13-05-2011, 10:15 PM   #73

profit maximization is to max load capacity the buses and train AT ALL times regardless of peak or non-peak.
the public transportation companies do not give a fark about quality of service because a large segment of consumers in public transportation have no alternative....people take public transportation because of its low costs
minister of transport say its inefficient to nationalise them, but whether or not they are privatized or nationalised they are still monopolies....
Old 13-05-2011, 10:15 PM   #74
Great Supremacy Member

thats really alot better for me already, considering my 1.5hours journey is shortened to 1hour

but then again, i think the shuttle bus crowd is going to be gay.. zzz

prolly gonna just save me 15mins but less the hassles of 3 transfers
Old 13-05-2011, 10:20 PM   #75
Supremacy Member

profit maximization is to max load capacity the buses and train AT ALL times regardless of peak or non-peak.
the public transportation companies do not give a fark about quality of service because a large segment of consumers in public transportation have no alternative....people take public transportation because of its low costs
minister of transport say its inefficient to nationalise them, but whether or not they are privatized or nationalised they are still monopolies....
I realized our minister is a bit smart. What they say is true but has totally no relevance to the issue at all even though it might sound as though it is related.

Yes, nationalized public transport is going to be inefficient, nationalized anything is going to be inefficient, but that is not the point at all. The point is that being a good with a very high positive external social benefit, public transport is something that has to be nationalized. Even if inefficient, it will bring about more total social welfare compared to privatized version. Government's job economically is to maximize total social welfare, not to be concerned with what is the profit they are reaping.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.