HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

NUS SoC Modules (and GEM/Breadth/ULR)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-07-2009, 05:25 PM   #151

arts module level 1 to 3 (for most majors) not much difference one, other than 1 is fugging general
Tt time my sem1 i took tt lvl2 arts module, ard me a lot of seniors, a lot yr 3 n 4 lor...
lingringning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2009, 05:40 PM   #152
Great Supremacy Member

Tt time my sem1 i took tt lvl2 arts module, ard me a lot of seniors, a lot yr 3 n 4 lor...
not all seniors are zai some are meh
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams. - W B Yeats
Geforce3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2009, 11:14 PM   #153
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thanks all for the reply.

Yes I was from a poly. Anyways to make myself clearer, I'm doing this CS degree course. I too was quite surprised that I am taking level 2000 computing modules from very first sem. However the school recommends us to clear our common essentials starting from the first semester, as stated here: http://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/undergrad...ruct_09_10.htm This explains why I am going towards this direction. Furthermore, other higher-level modules like discrete structures and Intro to OS has prerequisite.

I thought of doing 12MCs of CS modules + 1 math/science module + 1 ULR/UE module. Is this advisable?

Last edited by ocillator; 14-07-2009 at 11:45 PM..
ocillator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2009, 12:04 AM   #154
Supremacy Member

since u're poly, n u're new, i dunno whether u can cope anot..

cos maths in uni is not ez, even if it's MA1301

CS1105 = chicken feet, but it's only 3MCs
CS2100 = gotta learn concept n MIPS programming
CS2103 = concept is ez, but got very intensive java programming project.. i dunno if u still can rmb ur java from poly anot..
MA1301 = well, i dunno how gd is ur maths.. if u're traditionally poor at maths, prepare for the worse
GE2227 = ez mod, but assignments are quite time consuming.. u're using a software called arcGIS to complete ur assignments.. this software only available in ARTS' GIS Lab, so be prepared to spend alot time in sch

overall, not ez ah to survive the 15 weeks with this combi. u're new, n u're poly, somemore juz come out of NS, very long nv study liao..

since u may get GIS minor, i sugguest u take GE2215 rather than CS2103.. 1st sem very crucial one, if u do jialat jialat, it will be damn hard to turn over..
Old 15-07-2009, 12:03 PM   #155
Arch-Supremacy Member

since u're poly, n u're new, i dunno whether u can cope anot..

cos maths in uni is not ez, even if it's MA1301

CS1105 = chicken feet, but it's only 3MCs
CS2100 = gotta learn concept n MIPS programming
CS2103 = concept is ez, but got very intensive java programming project.. i dunno if u still can rmb ur java from poly anot..
MA1301 = well, i dunno how gd is ur maths.. if u're traditionally poor at maths, prepare for the worse
GE2227 = ez mod, but assignments are quite time consuming.. u're using a software called arcGIS to complete ur assignments.. this software only available in ARTS' GIS Lab, so be prepared to spend alot time in sch

overall, not ez ah to survive the 15 weeks with this combi. u're new, n u're poly, somemore juz come out of NS, very long nv study liao..

since u may get GIS minor, i sugguest u take GE2215 rather than CS2103.. 1st sem very crucial one, if u do jialat jialat, it will be damn hard to turn over..
Thanks a lot for the tips!

I made the choice for CS2103 cos since is kinda programming related, this module might make me practice more programming. If take this out, then this semester no programming for me le (if like that, i dunno if subsequent sems will be more jialat or not).. Morever, i still remember my java because I did computer projects using java when i was in the army.

Perhaps is that MA1301 maths module. Ya, i heard uni maths are killer modules which scares me already. I'm ok with maths, but as of now I have forgotten most of the formulas already. This is the first of the 4 math module!

I'm really glad you seniors can help me here.. haha.. I will take into serious re-consideration to replace CS2103 with GE2215, then hopefully coming sem won't be that xiong le..

Last edited by ocillator; 15-07-2009 at 12:06 PM..
ocillator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2009, 05:32 PM   #156
Supremacy Member

if u're confident with ur java, then take the risk lor, it's group project BTW, if ur mates are lousy, u'll be the one spending ur time doing the coding, which is very tedious..

it's not whether u're gd or not, uni is abt whether u can cope anot..

1st sem u ease urself into the momentum, future semesters may not be jialat oso

even if so, u noe wad to expect liao, cos u're used to the pace n is ready for it

i suggested GE2215 cos it kinda overlaps GE2227, both mods teach almost the same thing, so u can save some time there..

as for maths, gd luck man.. MA1505 n MA1506, killers
Old 15-07-2009, 06:52 PM   #157

hi.. what modules should i take for year 1? any recommendations?
R.Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2009, 10:49 PM   #158
Honorary Member

http://compclub.ddns.comp.nus.edu.sg/forum/

you can try going here to post your enquires also
Old 15-07-2009, 10:50 PM   #159
Honorary Member

Would be helpful if you could provide the following:

1. Are you from jc/poly? Do you have any exemptions?

2. which major are you going to take?
Old 15-07-2009, 10:51 PM   #160
Honorary Member

I made the choice for CS2103 cos since is kinda programming related, this module might make me practice more programming. If take this out, then this semester no programming for me le (if like that, i dunno if subsequent sems will be more jialat or not).. Morever, i still remember my java because I did computer projects using java when i was in the army.

Perhaps is that MA1301 maths module. Ya, i heard uni maths are killer modules which scares me already. I'm ok with maths, but as of now I have forgotten most of the formulas already. This is the first of the 4 math module!

I'm really glad you seniors can help me here.. haha.. I will take into serious re-consideration to replace CS2103 with GE2215, then hopefully coming sem won't be that xiong le..
if you have done UML modelling (object/class diagram/sequence diagram) in poly, you should be able to handle CS2103 pretty well
Old 16-07-2009, 03:35 AM   #161
Supremacy Member

if you have done UML modelling (object/class diagram/sequence diagram) in poly, you should be able to handle CS2103 pretty well
like i said, concept is ez.. the project is tough
Old 16-07-2009, 01:32 PM   #162

not all seniors are zai some are meh
Cos tt lvl 2 arts module require a lot of class participation.
The seniors do all the talking lor. I quiet like a mice, so i lose out.

if u're confident with ur java, then take the risk lor, it's group project BTW, if ur mates are lousy, u'll be the one spending ur time doing the coding, which is very tedious..

it's not whether u're gd or not, uni is abt whether u can cope anot..

1st sem u ease urself into the momentum, future semesters may not be jialat oso

even if so, u noe wad to expect liao, cos u're used to the pace n is ready for it

i suggested GE2215 cos it kinda overlaps GE2227, both mods teach almost the same thing, so u can save some time there..

as for maths, gd luck man.. MA1505 n MA1506, killers
Depends on ur interest n which modules u r comfortable with lor.
Read the description of the module carefully.
Join the orientation wk so tt u got chance to ask the seniors more abt those modules.
First sem make it less difficult for urself, u need time to adapt.

Now they don't need take MA1505, they take MA1521 Calculus for Computing instead.
https://share.nus.edu.sg/registrar/i...200910_SoC.pdf

U nvr even say which faulty u r fr, which modules u interested in, how ppl help u?
lingringning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009, 01:37 PM   #163
Banned

Now they don't need take MA1505, they take MA1521 Calculus for Computing instead.
https://share.nus.edu.sg/registrar/i...200910_SoC.pdf
Sian, looks like MA1521 not much different from MA1505

Last edited by Buaya_Hunter; 16-07-2009 at 01:41 PM..
Buaya_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009, 01:41 PM   #164
Banned

MA1301 seriously not that hard. U got a good lecturer that basically spoonfed everyone and make sure you have at least a test or quiz every two weeks.

Just that with all the poly engineering ppl + pre-year 1 FTs from china and india, very hard to get A- and above

Last edited by Buaya_Hunter; 16-07-2009 at 01:45 PM..
Buaya_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009, 02:21 PM   #165
Honorary Member

like i said, concept is ez.. the project is tough
u come up with your own design mah

wait till you see cs3214
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.