Pros and cons of Bachelor of Science (Business Analytics). New course

10e5x@1610

Reaction score
Hi NUS-ers,

Would like to know your views/input on this new course(Business Analytics).
What are the pros and cons of a new course?
The prospect of Business Analyst in Singapore?
Any other views?

Darkzi0n

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I went for a business analytic career tok by some Singtel guy before. Basically he painted a very rosy picture for the big data industry. According to him, u can expect high demand and hence good prospect in terms of salary in the future.

But he also said that u dont need much technical background to join the profession (atleast in the case of Singtel), And that he had hired many ppl that do not have strong technical bakground. So u might wan to go find out if the course helps in giving u advantage in joinin the industry..

MoxLotus

Master Member
Reaction score
imo this one is a less technical version of QF lol. It may become very popular in the next 5 yrs. Especially for those that cant get into QF.

Darkzi0n

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
imo this one is a less technical version of QF lol. It may become very popular in the next 5 yrs. Especially for those that cant get into QF.

think cannot lar... its modules does not really coincide with QF's application requirement... unless they take extra MA mod.

10e5x@1610

Reaction score
Whats QF? From the BA modules it seems it is much less technical. I myself see the upcoming trend of a BA, but worried as it is a new course. And it seems that anyone can be a BA. May any of you point out the cons of that course? Maybe in comparison to IS or CS.

I used to aim for NUS IS till MoxLotus pasted the link of this new course in some thread. Now wanna to know more

Rusty89

Reaction score
Qf is quantitative finance. Wow this new course sounds cool. How come its not under biz fac?

MoxLotus

Master Member
Reaction score
Whats QF? From the BA modules it seems it is much less technical. I myself see the upcoming trend of a BA, but worried as it is a new course. And it seems that anyone can be a BA. May any of you point out the cons of that course? Maybe in comparison to IS or CS.

I used to aim for NUS IS till MoxLotus pasted the link of this new course in some thread. Now wanna to know more

BA is definitely tougher than IS. 50% more maths based modules lol.

MoxLotus

Master Member
Reaction score
think cannot lar... its modules does not really coincide with QF's application requirement... unless they take extra MA mod.

Ba is the reduced version of QF which is more towards biz, while QF is more towards applied math.

Qf is quantitative finance. Wow this new course sounds cool. How come its not under biz fac?

too technical for the biz students lah lol...

Rusty89

Reaction score
Ba is the reduced version of QF which is more towards biz, while QF is more towards applied math.

too technical for the biz students lah lol...

Dang, shouldve born later. Nowadays they have like career talk, this new course, and damn even the girls are of better quality.

10e5x@1610

Reaction score
so given a choice, would u all still choose the course u all are in now? with BA as the new option. I still can decide over IS or BA or CS

Rusty89

Reaction score
Shadawn. Why u all Bo jio. Lol. I would've changed to that. Around 70% swayed ba.

mgx-alander

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so given a choice, would u all still choose the course u all are in now? with BA as the new option. I still can decide over IS or BA or CS

seriously speaking, u are comparing apples to orange

and no i wont change my course to this BA since i suck at math

Rusty89

Reaction score
haha for me it was compulsory for sp1001! though i didn't see darkzion during the classes.

Oh u taking SP1001 this sem? is it on wed 2pm ar? coz i accidentally went into a lect that talks about networking de.

Eh so after the module u can apply for intern?

Blue Sea

Reaction score
I went for a business analytic career tok by some Singtel guy before. Basically he painted a very rosy picture for the big data industry. According to him, u can expect high demand and hence good prospect in terms of salary in the future.

But he also said that u dont need much technical background to join the profession (atleast in the case of Singtel), And that he had hired many ppl that do not have strong technical bakground. So u might wan to go find out if the course helps in giving u advantage in joinin the industry..

is the guy a greek?

agent_719

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
this course caught my attention too. any feedback on this course? :s12:

mgx-alander

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
mathematical intensive after looking at mod code avoid bcos fac of sai math is worst than eng math if u r not math inclined

agent_719

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is it MA1311? The other mods doesn't sounds very math. Anyway they indicate applicants must have A in E math and At least B4 in A math which I have too. This sentence sounds very math base degree course.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.