Search window closes prematurely before I even finished the search strings

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Sp1GMgN.png

2HnIoKr.png

The above images might not indicate exactly what is the problem, but I am just adding it in case my description of the problem isn't clear.

So basically, it seems that the search window closes prematurely before I even finished the search strings and before I clicked "Go" or pressed Enter. Not a big issue, but somewhat frustrating though.

Not sure from when it started, I probably should have highlighted the issue there and then, I apologise.

Please get your programmers to look into it. Thank you! :)

PS: Forgot to add, I use Firefox Quantum.

lyfeforce

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Hi all. I did some testing on my own to understand how the function works.

As you know, the search field appears when you click on that "Search" menu. What usually happens is that the user clicks inside the field to start typing but then moves the mouse away. When that happens, the focus goes to another location on the page and thus the search field collapses.

You can try it by clicking on the "Search" menu and then moving your mouse over "Quick Links". You will see that menu expanding without having to click on it. Then move it back to "Search". Same thing happens.

It's because the forum is using this hover menu effect that you are currently facing this issue. Why is it being used? It's one of the most popular types of menus to use, aesthetically pleasing. But for those who prefer functionality, it's more of an annoyance.

Apologies for the wall of text.

Hat0218

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
no wor, if that was the case, i would have another pop down box until i click somewhere else. but as kiwi mentioned above, the box would just disappear even in the middle of typing

lyfeforce

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
That is strange because I tried it on Chrome and IE, I didn’t experience the same way you did.

no wor, if that was the case, i would have another pop down box until i click somewhere else. but as kiwi mentioned above, the box would just disappear even in the middle of typing

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I did some testing on my own to understand how the function works.

As you know, the search field appears when you click on that "Search" menu. What usually happens is that the user clicks inside the field to start typing but then moves the mouse away. When that happens, the focus goes to another location on the page and thus the search field collapses.

You can try it by clicking on the "Search" menu and then moving your mouse over "Quick Links". You will see that menu expanding without having to click on it. Then move it back to "Search". Same thing happens.

It's because the forum is using this hover menu effect that you are currently facing this issue. Why is it being used? It's one of the most popular types of menus to use, aesthetically pleasing. But for those who prefer functionality, it's more of an annoyance.

Apologies for the wall of text.
Thanks for looking into the problem. :o

Anyway, when I am doing search, my mouse is always over the input field of the search window. So by right it shouldn't trigger the hover menu effect that u are describing. So I don't think the problem is related to the hover menu effect. :o

commach

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I couldn't replicate what you experienced, using FF Quantum too.

Search and Advance search working as usual, no issue here using Windows7, will test Windows10 when I'm home later in the evening.

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I couldn't replicate what you experienced, using FF Quantum too.

Search and Advance search working as usual, no issue here using Windows7, will test Windows10 when I'm home later in the evening.

Advanced Search is no problem, since it has its own dedicated page. I am referring to the small search boxes as referred to in the first post. :o

Anyway, perhaps I will try to do some video capture of what happens so as to demonstrate the problem clearer. :o

commach

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Tried FF Quantum on Windows10 with the search function, no issue at all. Both Search and Advance search works as usual, nothing wrong.

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Finally got the time to go do an animated gif over the affected area.

4fTrKlp.gif

By the way, I swear that I never press Esc to close the window. It just closes by itself even when I haven't finished the input. Also, all the while the mouse cursor is also in the box and I didn't move the cursor away from the box.

harbinger255

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Seem to recall getting this problem a long time ago when I first installed noscript..... perhaps related?

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Seem to recall getting this problem a long time ago when I first installed noscript..... perhaps related?

Possible, but I installed NoScript way earlier before the problem cropped up, so might not entirely be due to NoScript too. :o

Ottoke

Reaction score
Ok guys I got the same thing while searching for the term "winter olympics" :s13:

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Ok guys I got the same thing while searching for the term "winter olympics" :s13:

It doesn't matter what u are searching for. The window will still close prematurely. :o

Anyway, are u using Firefox? And if so, are u using NoScript too?

Ottoke

Reaction score
It doesn't matter what u are searching for. The window will still close prematurely. :o

Anyway, are u using Firefox? And if so, are u using NoScript too?

Using FFQ, I don't think I using NS

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In that case can also discount uBlock as the cause of the closing window. :o

I think i found the issue and reason on this matter.

This is cause by the any changes within the screen that will cause the search window box to close immediately before you can continue to type anymore letter.

For example; do try by open a thread.
Directly below the top tabs there is the advertisement keep scrolling.

When typing the letter and the advert scroll, the search window box will close.
But whatever wording you have keyed in will still be available.

Hence mostly likely there is some movement within the screen that cause search window box to close.

To do any search window box, ensure the screen do not have any changes such as advertisement scrolling.

That's do not do open Search window box inside the thread, as example.

Regards.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I see. But I notice a discrepancy. When the search window closes, it is not true that whatever I typed in is still there. Cos the cursor focus isn't on the window anymore, the typing does not get input to the search box.

Whatever is input before close & re-open may depend on the browser cache and settings.

Try to type some letters and mouse click outside to force close.
And then re-open the same search window to see if those letters still available.

In my test, it still available.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.