HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Which Linux for Noobs?

Like Tree91Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-04-2010, 12:49 AM   #46
Master Member

Rock-kun, I assume you're a techie, it is statements like "typical 'end-user' mentality" that makes the linux desktop and community so unapproachable to new users. The linux community has always been great, for a techie. To fan bigger adoptation of linux on the desktop, it is precisely this "typical 'end-user' mentality" that it has to satisfy, most users don't really care if the OS is secure or "stable" as long as they can type a document for their boss, edit their school projects, sent email, watch Youtube etc. and if they face problems, solutions can be easily googled and found on the forums without getting some in your face, offputting or holier than thou statements.
+1 rep for ^ post

wat put me off linux since i used that many years ago is the difficulty in streamlining workflows....

mnt/umount to load disks, copy stuff...
inability to open docs from windows (vice versa) etc...
moving a mouse in gnome lags like every 1/2 sec, the only reliable interface to navigate in is the term....

so what if its so super stable but can't do anything for the end user, or that the end user needs a phd to use the computer?

luckily things have improved very much since
saysuzu likes this.
Old 29-04-2010, 07:24 AM   #47
Master Member

What puts me off using linux is , it can't even do simple task like scanning.

Once your scanner device driver is not supported in linux, it is really end of the road.
saysuzu likes this.
tungsten2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2010, 04:34 PM   #48

What puts me off using linux is , it can't even do simple task like scanning.

Once your scanner device driver is not supported in linux, it is really end of the road.
Come on dude. You have to do your own homework. Some hardware manufacturers refuse to support Linux, do you think the Linux developers can peform magic?

If Windows doesn't have the drivers, it can't even do simple task like scanning as well. Don't be a Windows 7 fanboi.
saysuzu likes this.
pclinux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:21 PM   #49
Supremacy Member

Do you guys keep seperate rig(s) for Windows and Linux?
saysuzu likes this.
Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:25 PM   #50
Arch-Supremacy Member

dunit .. can run linux on virtual pc oso
saysuzu likes this.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/el...r-4131460.html
PsyNidE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010, 05:54 PM   #51
Arch-Supremacy Member

I have 1 PC that dual boots Windows and Ubuntu.

Actually I got multiple HDD's, so I have GRUB on 1 HDD and Windows 7 on another. Depending on which HDD to boot from, I can load Ubuntu or Windows 7. Usually is Win 7 by default as my siblings use my PC when I am at work.

Ubuntu 10.04 is not bad, it is improving as it goes along.

Those who want to taste what Linux is like, can try those 'Live' CD's.

Running processes using command line and not being bogged down by resource hogging stuff, is great for Linux. Video file conversion timing for instance is way ahead.

I can do almost everything I want on Linux except for Gaming. If gaming jumps to Linux environment, a lot of people like me will not mind jumping too.
saysuzu likes this.
Jack_Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 09:00 AM   #52
Master Member

Just sharing this link with you guys for those are new into Linux.. just like me...

There are free pdf files on Ubuntu and others
Just fill up the few details.. less than a minute.. and you will get alink to download the pdf file from your email.

http://linuxforums.tradepub.com/

http://linuxforums.tradepub.com/free/w_ubun01/

http://linuxforums.tradepub.com/free/w_make10/

just sharing..
saysuzu likes this.
faruk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:46 PM   #53

Welcome to ubuntu club

-----
This message is sent from HWZ forums iPhone app
saysuzu likes this.
kelvinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 02:12 AM   #54
Supremacy Member

Hello, I'm also interested in the Linux scene but still very new to it. Would like to install a Linux OS onto a Pentium 3 computer (1GHz, 256Mb RAM) just for casual usage. Anyone care to recommend a suitable one?
Hope it's not too late, given your hardware specification i would recommend crunchbang linux.
One thing to take note is that the menu of crunchbang appears only when you right click on the desktop.
You might want to try other distro such as xubuntu, lubuntu, mint LXDE and decides which fits you best.
saysuzu likes this.

Last edited by 我要买GT-R!; 19-08-2010 at 10:50 AM..
我要买GT-R! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 02:19 PM   #55
High Supremacy Member

Gave up entirely on Windows and using Linux Mint 8 Helena since Jan 2010. Now upgraded to Isadora.

Very nice. Stable (32bit version). The green wallpaper is pleasing. Webcam works out of the box. Tried it with Cheese. Nvidia drivers working well. Got nice effects on my desktop workings. My old PSC1400 is working well thanks to easily available drivers from HP for Linux. I can scan too. Google Talk/Chat works OK. Didn't try on Skype of which I was warned is a pain to setup on Linux.

Wireless is OK as well but I pulled out the wireless card later opting to stick to wired connection. Mount and unmount drives? No problem. I see it as a security measure. My kids and my wife cannot kachiao the system.

Software repositories are Debian in origin so no problem. Learnt to do it via command prompt as well. I'm using Inkscape for SVG graphics. Pretty good. GIMP is a pain to use but we'll see.
saysuzu likes this.
genie47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 02:16 AM   #56

I like ubuntu.But i cant connect my nokia phone to ubuntu.how can i do it.please me anyone.
saysuzu likes this.
fahadsarkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 11:53 AM   #57

Linux - Firefox java not detected

HI,

I downloaded the latest JAVA for linux, but still Singpass website cant detect my browser has Java installed!!! But i did a test on Java site, and they replied my browser is Java enabled.

Anybody encounter this before? I am not a Linux user, happen to buy a cheap notebook and realised its on Linux!!! My OS stated Linpus Linux Lte 1.0.3.E, is that Ubuntu u guys are familiar with?
saysuzu likes this.
bookkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 12:13 PM   #58
Supremacy Member

HI,

I downloaded the latest JAVA for linux, but still Singpass website cant detect my browser has Java installed!!! But i did a test on Java site, and they replied my browser is Java enabled.

Anybody encounter this before? I am not a Linux user, happen to buy a cheap notebook and realised its on Linux!!! My OS stated Linpus Linux Lte 1.0.3.E, is that Ubuntu u guys are familiar with?
it's not ubuntu....
saysuzu likes this.
Old 14-11-2010, 12:27 PM   #59

it's not ubuntu....
Gosh, so what is it? How do i find the right Java to install then?
saysuzu likes this.
Old 14-11-2010, 12:33 PM   #60
Supremacy Member

Gosh, so what is it? How do i find the right Java to install then?
from what i know, it's a linux distro based on fedora.
i am not sure as of how to fix your problem though, you can try using other browser though
saysuzu likes this.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.