HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

What linux distro are you using?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-04-2020, 03:01 PM   #46
Arch-Supremacy Member

Tried a few and discovered Fedora is still the best. Previous favourite was Ubuntu.

Lost trust in Ubuntu after their amazon tie up.
All the other derivatives like mint, zorin etc try too hard to distinguish from ubuntu and don't feel polished to me.

Fedora is just plain gnome 3 and is the most simple yet aesthetically pleasing to me.
Tony.Manero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 03:03 PM   #47
Arch-Supremacy Member

Ok my fav 2020 Distro of Linux i've tried so far are a) Manjaro 19.0.2 KDE plasma and b) Ubuntu 20.04 DDE! I love both KDE Plasma and Deepin desktop environments so once i tried these 2 i was hooked haha
Tried Deepin Desktop Environment a few times. There's something about it that looks hard and cold. Gnome 3 has a more fuzzy warm feel to it.
batuchka likes this.
Old 29-04-2020, 12:06 PM   #48
Arch-Supremacy Member

Fedora 32 is out! Just installed it last night and configured it suisui. Reinstalled most apps too.

Something odd about the app store. Dash to Dock no longer appears in the search. Used a browser extension to install.
Old 30-04-2020, 12:30 AM   #49

I will *love* to see how many of you will start fumbling around completely helpless and lost (and jump back to Windows or macOS) when Red Hat officially discontinues and stops maintaining Xorg on their next major release of RHEL.

Lots of stuff that people take for granted in Xorg environments do not work in a Wayland environment, which is a deliberate decision.

In fact, I want them to go one step further and drop XWayland as well. As long as XWayland still exist, no commercial developer for Linux will bother to rework their applications to work properly under Wayland's security and sandbox design.

The reality is that X.org is basically maintained by us and thus once we stop paying attention to it there is unlikely to be any major new releases coming out and there might even be some bitrot setting in over time. We will keep an eye on it as we will want to ensure X.org stays supportable until the end of the RHEL8 lifecycle at a minimum, but let this be a friendly notice for everyone who rely the work we do maintaining the Linux graphics stack, get onto Wayland, that is where the future is.

Last edited by Rock-kun; 30-04-2020 at 12:39 AM..
Rock-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 04:13 PM   #50
Arch-Supremacy Member

I will *love* to see how many of you will start fumbling around completely helpless and lost (and jump back to Windows or macOS) when Red Hat officially discontinues and stops maintaining Xorg on their next major release of RHEL.

Lots of stuff that people take for granted in Xorg environments do not work in a Wayland environment, which is a deliberate decision.

In fact, I want them to go one step further and drop XWayland as well. As long as XWayland still exist, no commercial developer for Linux will bother to rework their applications to work properly under Wayland's security and sandbox design.
Wayland is the way to go. Once nvidia supports Wayland, the path will be clear.
Old 16-05-2020, 08:19 PM   #51
Arch-Supremacy Member

Just installed Manjaro Gnome. Looks good after some tweaking of the fonts.
Old 16-05-2020, 09:54 PM   #52
Greater Supremacy Member

Debian. Before that, Slackware
lemondrink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 01:15 AM   #53
Arch-Supremacy Member

Debian. Before that, Slackware
Why not Gentoo?
Old 08-07-2020, 10:31 AM   #54
Master Member

Installed Ubuntu 20.04 LTS on an HP500 250GB external USB SSD (USB 3.1 Gen 2, Type C, bought from Challenger at S$79) and run it with my 2.5 years old Acer laptop (Swift 3, Intel Core i5-8250U, 8GB Ram, 256GB SSD). It seems to run pretty smooth.

Previously I tried Ubuntu 18.04 on SanDisk 64GB USB flash drive but not that great due to slow speed of the flash drive.

I am using an external SSD since the laptop is mainly used by my kids and wife.

Last edited by xiaofan; 08-07-2020 at 10:33 AM..
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 11:12 AM   #55
Master Member

Why not Gentoo?
For most users who want to get things done, Gentoo is a waste of time.
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:51 PM   #56

For most users who want to get things done, Gentoo is a waste of time.
Not a waste of time. A complete and utter waste of time

People got better things to do with their time than to build an entire Linux distribution up from source code. And by default, Portage generates machine-specific binaries. This means that if I use portage to compile a fresh build of Firefox 78 on a computer with an IceLake processor, that Firefox binary cannot run on another Gentoo machine with a non-IceLake processor. Which is stupid. So you either muck around with Portage and potentially break stuff, or simply bypass it altogether and build your stuff manually with generic build commands and params.

Which defeats the purpose of using Gentoo in the first place.

I compile my own applications and application libraries in Debian separate from the (very outdated) versions available in the Debian repositories and I can safely say that maintaining these things built from source is a *expletive* timewaster.

Last edited by Rock-kun; 08-07-2020 at 10:55 PM..
Rock-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:07 AM   #57
Arch-Supremacy Member

RE

Using Linux Mint Mate 20 and Linux Manjaro 20 in VM on Windows host machine.

Pretty stable

Last edited by Apparatus; 31-07-2020 at 09:40 PM..
Apparatus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:47 AM   #58
Arch-Supremacy Member

Tried a few and discovered Fedora is still the best. Previous favourite was Ubuntu.

Lost trust in Ubuntu after their amazon tie up.
All the other derivatives like mint, zorin etc try too hard to distinguish from ubuntu and don't feel polished to me.

Fedora is just plain gnome 3 and is the most simple yet aesthetically pleasing to me.
No more Amazon app in Ubuntu

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2020/01/...amazon-web-app
Apparatus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 07:11 PM   #59
Arch-Supremacy Member

No more Amazon app in Ubuntu

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2020/01/...amazon-web-app
Using arch based now though
Old 03-08-2020, 04:18 PM   #60
Great Supremacy Member

Never tried OpenSuse and distro base on it b4? GeckoLinux looks to be what Manjaro is to Arch based distro - anyone tried GeckoLinux? Think wanna try out the rolling release LXQT version haha
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.