HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Why not Linux?

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2018, 12:58 PM   #16

For fun.

Come now, don't you feel a certain sense of DIY achievement at the end of the day when a self-compiled application, especially a very complex one, works well enough to be used daily in the line of work after all the dependencies have been manually (i.e.: without the package manager) beaten into submission?
It seems we have different opinions on "well enough". I had an orange pi plus 2e (raspberry pi like SBC) that I managed to get calibre, docker and other applications to run. In the end I moved it to a dedicated VM. Saved me alot of grief.

Last edited by dryteletubby; 09-02-2018 at 01:03 PM..
dryteletubby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:58 PM   #17
Supremacy Member

For fun.

Come now, don't you feel a certain sense of DIY achievement at the end of the day when a self-compiled application, especially a very complex one, works well enough to be used daily in the line of work after all the dependencies have been manually (i.e.: without the package manager) beaten into submission?
I don't deny it is FUN to do so, but we need to measure between practicality and pleasure. Once you compile your own packages, despite they are fun, you immediately broke from the upstream. There are a lot of packages from the distro upstream, and most of us do not have the time or the need to keep them in track manually all the time. This includes security patches identified from CVE, features patches and so forth. If you have concern automatic patches may break your system, you can always do it manually yourself.

So Linux as a desktop OS may not be the best option, it is a very feasible option. No doubt it requires some extra tech savviness, but really I won't say to the extend of requiring complete taking over of the OS to fit the bill of selecting it as an OS
davidktw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 01:55 PM   #18

Been running linux since my year 2000 (around) Pentium 4 refuse to run windows 7. Now running linuxmint. Do not feel I loose anything without windows.
corrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 10:32 PM   #19

Been running linux since my year 2000 (around) Pentium 4 refuse to run windows 7. Now running linuxmint. Do not feel I loose anything without windows.
You use that pc as a daily driver? I had the displeasure of using a pentium 4 machine running xp for Microsoft excell
dryteletubby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 05:27 PM   #20

My windows 10 auto update collapse my system 2 times.

after that i switch back to Linux Mint.
tszkitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2018, 03:35 PM   #21

Seems most people who get there pc will go for windows by default. With many GNU/Linux distributions available are you able to live without windows? I know many applications like many games and other software are not available on Linux but if you do not depend on such applications are you willing to give Linux a try?
I can live without a Windows Box, I use linux for office work, virtualbox, for gaming with Steam playing Dota 2 and for music. With most applications going on cloud, it is now possible to use Linux as a desktop and Fedora is my choice of distribution.
masterpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.