Why not Linux?

concept_fuel

Reaction score
No OS is perfect, hence why you have so many flavours.
Me, myself and I am mainly a windows user most of the time,
but from time to time would dabble in linux for "fun" or doing cloning or testing with a live usb stick hence why
I still dual boot between windows and whatever distro I happen to like at the time.
Installing and using linux have improve quite tremendously so much so that you can even
live on a USB stick and run a persistence live version and be happy with it for normal
basic computing stuff.
While I get the frustration that some feel, me personally do a whole lot of stuff in linux from
encoding videos, photo editing, gaming, web surfing etc without issues and this with
the latest hardware being a ryzen 7 1700 cpu with nvidia gtx 1080ti.
(See pic below and who needs wifi when a lan connection is a must if we're talking about desktop use)
Could I live without windows, well maybe but do I want to, well not really.
Like I said no OS is perfect there are pros and cons to each one of them and
until linux has more than 60% market share I will still dual boot.

FeX62XF.jpg

Rock-kun

Reaction score
While I get the frustration that some feel, me personally do a whole lot of stuff in linux from
encoding videos, photo editing, gaming, web surfing etc without issues and this with
the latest hardware being a ryzen 7 1700 cpu with nvidia gtx 1080ti.
(See pic below and who needs wifi when a lan connection is a must if we're talking about desktop use)

You are using X, not Wayland. That makes everything you spoke of invalid. Dare you try to run your desktop on KDE Plasma Wayland with the Nouveauy drivers, or even the Nvidia proprietary drivers under Plasma Wayland?

And you have never compiled your own kernel, Xserver, Wayland protocol, Mesa libraries or libdrm libraries.

Last edited:

concept_fuel

Reaction score
You are using X, not Wayland. That makes everything you spoke of invalid. Dare you try to run your desktop on KDE Plasma Wayland with the Nouveauy drivers, or even the Nvidia proprietary drivers under Plasma Wayland?

And you have never compiled your own kernel, Xserver, Wayland protocol, Mesa libraries or libdrm libraries.

You're missing the point, OP is talking about linux use....not X or wayland or KDE, XFCE or whatever have you. X works for me and why do I need to compile when it works. It does not make you any better just because you compile your own stuff:s13:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.