HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

learning japanese

Like Tree356Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-12-2014, 10:13 PM   #8461

Hello guys, I'm currently in NS now so only free during the weekends. Been reading up on "Get Started in Japanese" book to get myself started in the language. Want to learn from either a Japanese native or maybe someone's who's very familiarise so that I can communicate with instead of just listening from the cd rom included.. Don't have any japanese friends so would like to try my luck out here. Thank you!
Bryson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 09:58 AM   #8462
Supremacy Member

Thanks Ah_keong. You finished all the levels?
nope ameliatan, I have not finished all the levels.
Old 16-12-2014, 10:01 AM   #8463
Supremacy Member

Hello guys, I'm currently in NS now so only free during the weekends. Been reading up on "Get Started in Japanese" book to get myself started in the language. Want to learn from either a Japanese native or maybe someone's who's very familiarise so that I can communicate with instead of just listening from the cd rom included.. Don't have any japanese friends so would like to try my luck out here. Thank you!
I would recommend you to join the weekend class.
I also started self-learning during my NS days and went to join a elementary class in the CC on weekend class to brush up my writing then.
Good luck!

Old 21-12-2014, 12:40 PM   #8464

she talks the fastest in Ikoma during my time. duno about other teachers now.
She is still the record holder. I was so drained after attending her class for the first time.
jeremiahtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 10:42 AM   #8465
Master Member

get used to her speed.
she teaches N2, right? if you are in N2 already, you should have a certain level of japanese proficiency already. and that is about the normal speed japanese usually speaks.
good training for everyone to get used to.
no point the teachers speaks slowly and clearly, and when we talk to japanese outside school, we get a shock at how they usually speak.
unfinished07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 01:23 PM   #8466

get used to her speed.
she teaches N2, right? if you are in N2 already, you should have a certain level of japanese proficiency already. and that is about the normal speed japanese usually speaks.
good training for everyone to get used to.
no point the teachers speaks slowly and clearly, and when we talk to japanese outside school, we get a shock at how they usually speak.
I was in Intermediate, the equivalent of N4 at that time but I must say it was a good experience.
jeremiahtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 08:52 PM   #8467
Supremacy Member

If any students interested to pick up Japanese, pls let me know. Might end up going to full time teaching again... don't like my current job.

=/
Old 23-12-2014, 10:13 AM   #8468
Supremacy Member

I was in Intermediate, the equivalent of N4 at that time but I must say it was a good experience.
Must be a good experience getting used to the native speed at Intermediate.
Old 24-12-2014, 09:48 AM   #8469
Supremacy Member

Dear Comrades,

Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year!!

メリークリ
dimitri_can likes this.
Old 25-12-2014, 06:29 PM   #8470
Supremacy Member

メリクリ

Old 25-12-2014, 08:15 PM   #8471

Hi, today I went to Kino and found out there are 2 versions of Minna no Nihongo. One is the Asian edition and the other, the Japanese one. Which one should I get? The Asian one had the lesson listed out but the Japanese version doesn't.

Any other books I should get to help aid me? Where can I find the JLPT syllabus? Thanks!
yuukiXkaname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 10:09 AM   #8472
Supremacy Member

Hi, today I went to Kino and found out there are 2 versions of Minna no Nihongo. One is the Asian edition and the other, the Japanese one. Which one should I get? The Asian one had the lesson listed out but the Japanese version doesn't.

Any other books I should get to help aid me? Where can I find the JLPT syllabus? Thanks!
Hi, Are you attending any kind of formal classes (classical classroom learning) which uses Minna no Nihongo? if you are doing self study (self directed learning), I would not recommend this book.

Would you be getting the workbook? The Asian edition have the answers included if I am not wrong and the Japanese edition consolidate the answers in another separate book if I am not wrong.

From general feedback of many students, the japanese edition is easier to read for the eyes maybe due to the paper quality used I think.

I would not be able to recommend any books as I do not know your aim, your ultimate goal (getting JLPT certification?) and your current proficiency of Japanese language.

Assuming that you are attending entry level or aiming of getting JLPT N5 certification in year 2015 and assuming you have fundamental mastery of the Japanese Language.

I would recommend this book (for my students) Nihongo 500 Mon - Beginner | White Rabbit Japan
or this book (for you)
JLPT N5 Official Practice Workbook | White Rabbit Japan

Good luck!

Last edited by Ah_keong; 26-12-2014 at 10:11 AM..
Ah_keong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 07:11 PM   #8473
Supremacy Member

Am starting a new class in Jan 2015.

Starting Date: 22nd Jan 2015 (Thurs)
Time: 7pm-9pm
Trainer: Me
Max student size: 6
Fees: $200 for 10 lessons

or

Starting Date: 24th Jan 2015 (Sat)
Time: 4.30-6pm
Trainer: Me
Max student size: 4
Fees: $200 for 10 lessons

Pls pm me with your mobile number if interested... Thank you...

Last edited by dimitri_can; 28-12-2014 at 08:34 PM..
dimitri_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 09:53 PM   #8474
Supremacy Member

Hi, Are you attending any kind of formal classes (classical classroom learning) which uses Minna no Nihongo? if you are doing self study (self directed learning), I would not recommend this book.

Would you be getting the workbook? The Asian edition have the answers included if I am not wrong and the Japanese edition consolidate the answers in another separate book if I am not wrong.

From general feedback of many students, the japanese edition is easier to read for the eyes maybe due to the paper quality used I think.

I would not be able to recommend any books as I do not know your aim, your ultimate goal (getting JLPT certification?) and your current proficiency of Japanese language.

Assuming that you are attending entry level or aiming of getting JLPT N5 certification in year 2015 and assuming you have fundamental mastery of the Japanese Language.

I would recommend this book (for my students) Nihongo 500 Mon - Beginner | White Rabbit Japan
or this book (for you)

Good luck!
I agree with Ah_keong to a certain extent.

Minna no Nihongo is not to be used without a teacher. You will be better off with Genki or Japanese for Busy People.

For the book recommended by Ah_keong, if you have N4 knowledge, you would be able to understand much better.

You can pm me if u wanna get the syllabus for N5. =)

/Can
Old 27-12-2014, 01:40 PM   #8475

or this book (for you)

Good luck!
No I'm self studying as I have some knowledge but it's all over the place. Need a syllabus guideline so I know what to study for. I did study a bit when I was in poly and picked the rest online and by watching anime, reading visual novels and threads on 2ch etc...

I do understand the Japanese edition have a few workbooks as I saw them in Kino. My aim is to be able to hit N2 so I can study and work in Japan. I do not know my current proficiency as my language ability have dropped by quite a bit since I didn't really touch the language for a few years until recently only but I can understand it to a certain extent. I'm trying to ease the financial situation a bit as I feel that with a syllabus guide and a proper textbook and such, I'm confident that I can clear N5. As for N4 I'll have to see how I fare for N5 before deciding but ideally I'll like to start enrolling into a school only from N3 onwards. Any recommendations on guidebooks and textbooks are highly appreciated

As for when I'm aiming for N5 mastery, I'm hoping to be able to clear that in July 2015 and try and get N4 by December 2015.

I agree with Ah_keong to a certain extent.

Minna no Nihongo is not to be used without a teacher. You will be better off with Genki or Japanese for Busy People.

For the book recommended by Ah_keong, if you have N4 knowledge, you would be able to understand much better.

You can pm me if u wanna get the syllabus for N5. =)

/Can
I saw some reviews citing that Genki isn't really good and someone here recently recommended me みんなの日本語 so I'm really confused as this is the first time I'm attempting to buy some textbook to speed up learning process. Any help from anyone is highly appreciated as I'm as lost as a needle in a haystack.

Last edited by yuukiXkaname; 27-12-2014 at 01:45 PM..
yuukiXkaname is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.