HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

learning japanese

Like Tree358Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2015, 05:27 PM   #8491
Supremacy Member

btw, am looking for some students to give me feedback on my Japanese for Travel course. Currently this is still in testing phase so all lessons are free.

It will spread over 3 weeks of 2 hours each.

Date starting: 16th Feb (Mon)
No. of seats: 6
Time: 7.30-9.30pm
Cost: Free

If interested, pls drop me a pm with ur contact number. Thank you.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:55 AM   #8492

あけましておめでとうございます!
solarwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:59 AM   #8493
Supremacy Member

No I'm self studying as I have some knowledge but it's all over the place. Need a syllabus guideline so I know what to study for. I did study a bit when I was in poly and picked the rest online and by watching anime, reading visual novels and threads on 2ch etc...

I do understand the Japanese edition have a few workbooks as I saw them in Kino. My aim is to be able to hit N2 so I can study and work in Japan. I do not know my current proficiency as my language ability have dropped by quite a bit since I didn't really touch the language for a few years until recently only but I can understand it to a certain extent. I'm trying to ease the financial situation a bit as I feel that with a syllabus guide and a proper textbook and such, I'm confident that I can clear N5. As for N4 I'll have to see how I fare for N5 before deciding but ideally I'll like to start enrolling into a school only from N3 onwards. Any recommendations on guidebooks and textbooks are highly appreciated

As for when I'm aiming for N5 mastery, I'm hoping to be able to clear that in July 2015 and try and get N4 by December 2015.
In your case if you are aiming for self learning, I would recommend Japanese for Busy People together to brush up your Japanese Proficiency together with JLPT N5 and N4 books. I would also highly recommend you to join JLPT prep classes so as to speed up your proficiency up to N4 so that you can join the N3 class by 2016. Below are my recommended books. (for my students)

Good Luck!

Old 07-01-2015, 05:33 PM   #8494

In your case if you are aiming for self learning, I would recommend Japanese for Busy People together to brush up your Japanese Proficiency together with JLPT N5 and N4 books. I would also highly recommend you to join JLPT prep classes so as to speed up your proficiency up to N4 so that you can join the N3 class by 2016. Below are my recommended books. (for my students)

Good Luck!

Are you teaching too?
jeremiahtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 03:40 PM   #8495
Supremacy Member

Are you teaching too?
Nope, I am just an assistant tutor.

I have used the recommended books during my army days (about 10 years ago) for self learning and I recommend the books as reference books for my tutorial classes and self-study books for my introductory classes.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:39 PM   #8496

Good Luck!

Hmm. Thanks a lot. I got Genki already. Would try and use this as a supplement guide book.

Appreciate all the advice and recommendations I'm getting. Thank you!

ありがとうございました!
yuukiXkaname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:24 AM   #8497
Supremacy Member

Hmm. Thanks a lot. I got Genki already. Would try and use this as a supplement guide book.

Appreciate all the advice and recommendations I'm getting. Thank you!

ありがとうございました!
Feel free to ask any of the experts here for advice!
ありがとうございました~!

Good Luck~!
Old 13-01-2015, 02:19 PM   #8498

Hi, sorry to post only when I have qns.....

Is JLPT N1 only available at the end of the year in SG?

Is there any Japanese Speech Contest this year? Would like to try it out but I don't see on JCS nor JA website.
ransackyourtoilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 02:26 PM   #8499

No I'm self studying as I have some knowledge but it's all over the place. Need a syllabus guideline so I know what to study for. I did study a bit when I was in poly and picked the rest online and by watching anime, reading visual novels and threads on 2ch etc...

I do understand the Japanese edition have a few workbooks as I saw them in Kino. My aim is to be able to hit N2 so I can study and work in Japan. I do not know my current proficiency as my language ability have dropped by quite a bit since I didn't really touch the language for a few years until recently only but I can understand it to a certain extent. I'm trying to ease the financial situation a bit as I feel that with a syllabus guide and a proper textbook and such, I'm confident that I can clear N5. As for N4 I'll have to see how I fare for N5 before deciding but ideally I'll like to start enrolling into a school only from N3 onwards. Any recommendations on guidebooks and textbooks are highly appreciated

As for when I'm aiming for N5 mastery, I'm hoping to be able to clear that in July 2015 and try and get N4 by December 2015.
Hi, this is not very updated but it can still help..
JLPT Level N5 Study Page

You sound like you know quite a bit already. Maybe just a grammar book and a vocab list will help you?

Fo Minna no Nihongo workbook, you may want to consider Taiwan publications. It is ard $8 . Union Bookshop at bras basah. Call to check, they do not have it everytime. No answers but you can get it online. btw they divide MnN Elementary 1 book (Jp ver.) into Elementary 1 and 2 and MnN Elementary 2 book (jp ver.) into Intermediate 1 and 2.

You can consider doing the N5 past year papers online (instead of signing up for actual. costs money too.) and go straight for N4 during the mid-year...
Ah_keong likes this.

Last edited by ransackyourtoilet; 13-01-2015 at 03:07 PM..
ransackyourtoilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 11:10 AM   #8500
Banned

Hi, sorry to post only when I have qns.....

Is JLPT N1 only available at the end of the year in SG?

Is there any Japanese Speech Contest this year? Would like to try it out but I don't see on JCS nor JA website.
The speech contest only starts its registration between april to may every year, I don't think it's even up yet.

Last edited by avalanste; 14-01-2015 at 11:22 AM..
avalanste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 03:32 PM   #8501
Master Member

Haiz... just realized I missed the beginner class at Ikoma...well gotta wait for Mar classes then...
Lurker_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 06:07 PM   #8502
Supremacy Member

Haiz... just realized I missed the beginner class at Ikoma...well gotta wait for Mar classes then...
no worries, meanwhile you can start practise on the writing fundamentals first.

I drill myself to write hiragana and katakana characters everyday for 2 months when I first started.

Good Luck!
Lurker_13 likes this.
Old 15-01-2015, 08:49 AM   #8503
Master Member

no worries, meanwhile you can start practise on the writing fundamentals first.

I drill myself to write hiragana and katakana characters everyday for 2 months when I first started.

Good Luck!
Thanks Ah_keong, will try to do so as I am not very discipline in this aspect. LOL
Ah_keong likes this.
Lurker_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 08:16 PM   #8504
Supremacy Member

For those who are still interested to attend the free Skype lesson for N1/N2/Business Japanese, lesson will still be on..

Day: Sunday
Time: 7-8.30pm (subject to changes)
Topics:

1) N1/N2漢字
2) N1/N2語彙
3) N2文法->最後まで
4) 会話の練習
5) ビジネス日本語の会話
6) 敬語
7) メールの書き方

Pls pm me with ur contact number if u are interested to find out more. =)
Old 19-01-2015, 03:25 PM   #8505

Smile Text Books/Assessment Books

Hi all,

Any recommendation for Japanese text book or assessment books for beginners?

Thank you!
Ayukiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.