learning japanese

Sunny Day Song

Reaction score
How is Tomo language center like? Their focus on conversation appeals to me.

Ikoma feels very academic but good for clearing JLPT?

Side note, like one of the poster here, I know of people with JLPT N2 and above but can't hold a simple conversation in Japanese...feels like they just want to clear the exams and then return everything to the books

omelet

Reaction score

Side note, like one of the poster here, I know of people with JLPT N2 and above but can't hold a simple conversation in Japanese...feels like they just want to clear the exams and then return everything to the books
Beware of Tomo if you are introvert. Will stress you out.

Ikoma is pretty balanced I would say.
Most school are good up to JLPT N3 IMO...
Beyond that better learn it yourself as school teaching will be too slow.

Shouldn't be surprised if someone with JLPT N2 or even N1 can't hold a conversation, as this skill aren't tested in JLPT in the first place.

FrostWurm

Master Member
Reaction score

I would say Tomo is very good if you have constant external exposure listening to Japanese, such as if you watch anime or dramas, or listen to Japanese songs.
The reason is because of their emphasis on speaking by "shadowing", which is listening to short conversations and then repeating it yourself. You will find that when you start watching animes/dramas, you will subconsciously do the same and link it to what you learn in class, which helps to reinforce your learning.

But as the poster above mentioned, if you are introverted and don't like to speak in class, then Tomo might not be the best for you. But I really must say that speaking actually helps you to remember much better than just pure mugging.

Ikoma is more textbook-mugger type but their JLPT prep courses are fairly popular. I took the N2 prep course and it was good preparation for the exam but you still have to put in effort to study if you want to pass N2.

lowzeewee

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Speaking and listening are the best ways to learn a language and build confidence in it.

FrostWurm

Master Member
Reaction score
any recommended schools for learning business japanese?
Ikoma offers it as a one-off class every now and then. Not sure about other schools.

But probably need some intermediate level of Japanese to be able to fully appreciate the class.

orcgirl

Reaction score
Any recommendations to learn Japanese? really interested to learn but dont know where to start. I am using Duolingo as a start now.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.