HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

learning japanese

Like Tree356Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2016, 03:11 PM   #9196
Banned

i beg to differ. have a few students who transferred from his school and heard some bad stories. i myself have experienced it also... =(

you may pm me if you wish to find out more info.
Can I PM you as well?
I have an ex-classmate from Ikoma who was interested in tomo and transferred there due to hectic schedule, she then came back to Ikoma but in a different class from us now, I've never heard from her since.
avalanste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:59 PM   #9197
Master Member

Try Hougang... take my advice, dont go for Tomo
Ya I also went to check that as well since the school is near my house. Have upcoming classing by Shimaoka and Kurihara sensei
SoggyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:02 PM   #9198
Master Member

for weekend beginner class, I would recommend IKOMA, BUNKA, JCS. If your schedule is hectic, I would recommend IKOMA so that you can swop in and join other classes.
However if your school schedule (I do not know your schedule btw, are you in some kind of course?) is hectic, then I would recommend you holding back until you are free.

Learning a new foreign language require lots of stamina and determination, unless you are talented in languages.

Good Luck.
I'm studying part time weekday night classes clashes with my school hence I needed a weekend class instead and yeah, learning a 3rd language sure is tough!
SoggyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 09:52 AM   #9199
Supremacy Member

I'm studying part time weekday night classes clashes with my school hence I needed a weekend class instead and yeah, learning a 3rd language sure is tough!
In my opinion, it would better to concentrate on one course, either weekday night school or weekend class. I assume you have work in the day.

Looking forward, you may not have the capacity to learn a 3rd language. It require lots of time, patience, stamina.
Old 14-12-2016, 04:59 PM   #9200

I had just completed my elementary 2 with bunka and is interested in signing up for elementary 3. Anyone knows what will be taught in elementary 3?
imt204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 11:17 PM   #9201
Supremacy Member

Important Notice

みなさん、

こんばんは。I have a piece of sad news to announce. I have found a job at a travel agency and will be starting in mid Jan/end Jan next month.

This job allows me to travel to Japan and bring tour groups to Japan every now and then. I am thankful that the company still allows me to teach on Sundays.

Lessons will strictly be on Suns from next month onwards. Feel a bit sad that i have to let go of some students. Also, there will be some changes to the existing schedule.

A lot of students who have been to schools to learn and then after learning under me, they find that i tend to be able to explain grammar better and JLPT scoring tactics than the teachers in the schools.

I also want to thank my current students for being so supportive and being flexible to allow me to make some changes to the existing schedule.

Having said that, i hope to be able to get committed students who really wish to learn, as my time will be limited to Suns only. There might be a time where i might just have to stop teaching permanently, so while you still have the chance, do contact me for further discussions.

Do support me if you wish to buy tickets to Japan, ok?

Cheers,
Can

Last edited by dimitri_can; 14-12-2016 at 11:32 PM..
dimitri_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 09:49 PM   #9202

Hi all,

Had previously studied japanese and passed the N1 few years ago. However didn't have many japanese-speaking friends, so never kept up with the language.

Recently have started watching japanese tv/listening to music/doing translations again, and have felt the urge to go back to class just to get the opportunity to use the language again.

Any school in SG has courses where students can simply discuss topics/debates in Japanese? I don't need japanese for work or anything official, simply enjoy using it. Prefer not to go to join in big group meet ups as they can be rather intimidating hahah

Any one who took ikoma's further advanced classes can advise on what they're like? I did most of my courses there, and quite like the atmosphere.

Thanks in advance!
tadaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 01:58 AM   #9203
Supremacy Member

Hi all,

Had previously studied japanese and passed the N1 few years ago. However didn't have many japanese-speaking friends, so never kept up with the language.

Recently have started watching japanese tv/listening to music/doing translations again, and have felt the urge to go back to class just to get the opportunity to use the language again.

Any school in SG has courses where students can simply discuss topics/debates in Japanese? I don't need japanese for work or anything official, simply enjoy using it. Prefer not to go to join in big group meet ups as they can be rather intimidating hahah

Any one who took ikoma's further advanced classes can advise on what they're like? I did most of my courses there, and quite like the atmosphere.

Thanks in advance!
N1の合格、おめでとうございます。

BunkaのAdvancedクラスがいいかもしれませんが、先生はちょっと偏見があります。前の投稿をご覧ください。それを納得できれば、どうぞ。

IkomaのFurther Advancedはつまらないです。教科書はこちらです。1課は6回のレッスンで終わります。この前参加していたとき、あまり会話がありませんでした。ほとんど読解、N1の文法ですね。

時間がございましたら、私のミットアップに入ってごらんなさい。
http://www.meetup.com/SGJapaneseMeetup

おしゃべり会は最大20人ですが、テーブルを4つに分けて、おしゃべりをします。1時間ごとに席を変えます。

個人の意見ですが、君が今必要なのはレッスンじゃなくて、会話の練習だと思います。

もっと挑戦したければ、外国にある翻訳コースをおすすめできます。ただ、英語は得意じゃなければ、すぐやめさせられます。

Last edited by dimitri_can; 20-12-2016 at 02:00 AM..
dimitri_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 12:13 AM   #9204
Supremacy Member

Improving Japanese accent and intonation

For those who are interested to improve their Japanese accent and pronunciation. Learn the pronunciation tips not taught in schools.
Like when you need to go high or low. Highly recommended for those who are weak in pronunciation.

https://www.meetup.com/SGJapaneseMee...nts/236328185/
Old 22-12-2016, 07:39 PM   #9205

N1の合格、おめでとうございます。

BunkaのAdvancedクラスがいいかもしれませんが、先生はちょっと偏見があります。前の投稿をご覧ください。それを納得できれば、どうぞ。

IkomaのFurther Advancedはつまらないです。教科書は です。1課は6回のレッスンで終わります。この前参加していたとき、あまり会話がありませんでした。ほとんど読解、N1の文法ですね。

時間がございましたら、私のミットアップに入ってごらんなさい。

おしゃべり会は最大20人ですが、テーブルを4つに分けて、おしゃべりをします。1時間ごとに席を変えます。

個人の意見ですが、君が今必要なのはレッスンじゃなくて、会話の練習だと思います。

もっと挑戦したければ、外国にある翻訳コースをおすすめできます。ただ、英語は得意じゃなければ、すぐやめさせられます。
早速のご回答ありがとうございます。IkomaとBunkaの詳し情報も感謝しています。dimitriさんがいった通り、レッスンより会話をする機会が望むことなんです。そういっても、やっぱり自分は大人数のおしゃべり会は無理だと思いますが、誘ってくださってありがとうございます。
tadaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 10:49 AM   #9206
Master Member

interested to take up courses at bunka (becoz of skillsfuture credit) to push myself for N3 but intermediate 3 and 4 i know a bit here and there, so i guess i have no choice but to go for intermediate 3 first..

is bunka's teacher nice? i hope it will be a pleasant learning experience.
biggirl20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 11:47 AM   #9207
Supremacy Member

interested to take up courses at bunka (becoz of skillsfuture credit) to push myself for N3 but intermediate 3 and 4 i know a bit here and there, so i guess i have no choice but to go for intermediate 3 first..

is bunka's teacher nice? i hope it will be a pleasant learning experience.
N4の資格を持っていますか。

文化はIntermediateの後、会話中心になります。N3の文法はあまり教えないです。毎週ー毎月N3の文法を2つ/3つだけ勉強します。JCSに参加したほうがいいでしょう。
Old 27-12-2016, 07:31 PM   #9208
Supremacy Member

N2以上を持っている方は下記の本を読んでみてください。いい知識ですから。

Old 28-12-2016, 10:00 AM   #9209

Found this while researching on Ikoma and Bunka.

I'm thinking of going back to my basics, almost 20 years ago since I learnt Japanese, think mostly returned to my teachers. Didn't take certifications except JLPT4 (almost 15 years ago) which I took it after a few years later and was no longer in JCS then.

From what I've read here (I didn't read all 600+ pages), seems that Ikoma/ Bunka/ Hougang would be a good place to go. But which one?
Does doing intensive courses help?

My main intention is still to pass JLPT (at least N3? Not too sure of the levels now) and read Japanese books (mainly on crafting, recipe and travel books - mostly are easy to understand).
thwysg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 12:31 PM   #9210
Supremacy Member

Found this while researching on Ikoma and Bunka.

I'm thinking of going back to my basics, almost 20 years ago since I learnt Japanese, think mostly returned to my teachers. Didn't take certifications except JLPT4 (almost 15 years ago) which I took it after a few years later and was no longer in JCS then.

From what I've read here (I didn't read all 600+ pages), seems that Ikoma/ Bunka/ Hougang would be a good place to go. But which one?
Does doing intensive courses help?

My main intention is still to pass JLPT (at least N3? Not too sure of the levels now) and read Japanese books (mainly on crafting, recipe and travel books - mostly are easy to understand).
JLPT4 is now the equivalent of N5 in today's standing. N3 is in a mid position of covering syllabus between JLPT3 and partially JLPT2.

You may want to take placement interviews with your knowledge of Japanese language with all the schools you have shortlisted (Ikoma / Bunka / Hougang / etc) and consider the delivery of the schools to your liking.

In my opinion, if your main intention is to pass N3 and read Japanese books. I would recommend Ikoma.

Enjoy the shopping!
dimitri_can and thwysg like this.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.