HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

learning japanese

Like Tree356Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2017, 05:45 PM   #9256
Supremacy Member

Hi bros, sorry if this question has been asked but there's over 600 pages in this thread.

I'm considering taking up Japanese just to build up a basic in another language beyond our usual 2 languages. From what I have research so far, Ikoma, Hougang and Bunka are 3 of the popular ones.

What are the pros and cons of the schools and perhaps other recommendations? Thanks
eddief4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:15 PM   #9257
Supremacy Member

Hi bros, sorry if this question has been asked but there's over 600 pages in this thread.

I'm considering taking up Japanese just to build up a basic in another language beyond our usual 2 languages. From what I have research so far, Ikoma, Hougang and Bunka are 3 of the popular ones.

What are the pros and cons of the schools and perhaps other recommendations? Thanks
Read my post a few pages back.
dimitri_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:13 PM   #9258

Dictionary of Japanese Grammar series is more in depth, but the explanation sometimes kill people...
日本語文型辞典 is about the same as Dictionary of Japanese Grammar series.
Any recommendations on good Japanese dictionary and reference books for beginners to get in Japan? Had just started to take lessons again recently. Only had a Japanese-English dictionary from Kinokuniya SG 18 years ago.

Heading there next week.
thwysg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 03:35 PM   #9259

Hi guys which Japanese language school would you guys be recommending?
micgoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 03:53 PM   #9260
Supremacy Member

Hi guys which Japanese language school would you guys be recommending?
depends on your availability and budget.
Old 15-02-2017, 07:12 PM   #9261
Supremacy Member

Pls search for my review of the schools a few pages back
dimitri_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 02:26 PM   #9262
Supremacy Member

Hi all,

Have decided to quit my job at the travel agency. Maybe i would feel more comfortable.

I am starting a new class on Friday evening. Pls see the below for details.

Starting Date: 10th March 2017 (Friday)
Time: 7-830pm
Slots: 6
Textbook: $15
Fees: $200 for 10 lessons, $350 for 20 lessons

Early bird discount available. Pls contact me asap for more details.

Cheers,
Can
Old 20-02-2017, 05:44 PM   #9263
Supremacy Member

what happen?

God Bless....
Old 20-02-2017, 10:40 PM   #9264

Dropping by to say HELLO. Was interested in picking up a new language and have been reading this thread for a week by now. Saw the post where you shared you found a job at a travel firm and will be leaving the teaching scene. And now you are back ! Awesome ! Anyway am here to say hello.

Hi all,

Have decided to quit my job at the travel agency. Maybe i would feel more comfortable.

I am starting a new class on Friday evening. Pls see the below for details.

Starting Date: 10th March 2017 (Friday)
Time: 7-830pm
Slots: 6
Textbook: $15
Fees: $200 for 10 lessons, $350 for 20 lessons

Early bird discount available. Pls contact me asap for more details.

Cheers,
Can
dimitri_can likes this.
3000kmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 11:18 PM   #9265
Supremacy Member

have never left the teaching scene. was just doing part time while i had my job...
so back to full time again i guess.
Old 22-02-2017, 11:43 AM   #9266
Supremacy Member

Before i start, how committed are u to learn the language? Are u committed to spend like hours to revise and read in advance what is going to be taught?

I do offer free Skype lessons via http://www.meetup.com/SGJapaneseMeetup/events/235037395
if u wish to try out first.

I can give you a breakdown of what i know of all the schools here in Singapore, but ultimately it all boils down to your own effort, how u surround yourself with the language. No such school in Singapore can encourage the nurturing of good speakers. It's own effort.

Ikoma
One of the more popular schools here in SG.
Employs fresh grads from Japan to teach beginner classes, uses direct method (using Japanese to teach Japanese, not much English used in class), if you are lucky, you will get a good teacher who has 1-2 yrs experience. Overall well-rounded education with Minna no Nihongo 1st edition textbook.
Did my N1 and N2 prep classes there. Prep classes are good, but normal classes can be a bit boring as you might be repeating the same grammar for 1 hour (depending on the teacher), but changing the vocabulary (based on my sources). Allows replacement of classes. Class size: 8-18 students per class

Fees from zero to N5: $360 x 4 terms + $40 (textbook) + $20 (registration fee) =$1500

Bunka
Another popular school here in SG
Prides itself for its patented teaching method from Japan.
High teacher turnover rate. Speaking is more focused when you go to Pre-Advanced level.
Hard to jump school once you start lessons with them as their grammar structures do not follow the norm which other schools use. Did my Pre-advanced 3 classes with them after i got my N2, but stopped after 2 lessons as level of students wasn't on-par to a Pre-advanced 3 level. Teacher tends a bit biased towards clever and handsome guys (have some experience back then and was also informed by other fellow students who took her classes). Ever told us, don't use electronic dictionary in class, else why come for class?
While i agree with what she said, i saw that she did not tell one of her "apples" off for using the electronic dictionary. Allows replacement of classes (i think 3 lessons per term if i am not wrong).

Fees from zero to N4: $360 x 6 terms + $340 x 2 terms +$20 (registration fee) = $2860 (assuming no textbook fee)
Divide by 2: $1430 (est. for N5)

Hougang Japanese Language School

One of the oldest Japanese schools out here in SG. Uses the book, Nihongo no Kiso (the grandfather book of Minna no Nihongo 1st edition). Very cheap fees, but school style is a bit like old school kind of tables..
Did my N2-N5 studies here under principal and 2 other teachers. Was introduced to 国語 (こくご/the Japanese that native Japanese learn) by my 1st teacher, but she went back to Japan after a few yrs of teaching. Principal (Kitahara-sensei) is very traditional uncle, u either like his teaching method or you don't. Sai-sensei is a Taiwanese lady who studied in Japan then after that stayed in Singapore. Conducts her lessons in Mandarin. Nakai-sensei is a Japanese, has some weird habits, but both Sai-sensei and Nakai-sensei are very good in teaching).

Fees from zero to N5: $680

JCS (not JCC)
The education institution for taking JLPT.
Haven't studied there before, but have dealings with their counter staff as i need to register JLPT for my student at times. Large class size as fees are cheap. Recently changed their syllabus to using Minna no Nihongo 1st edition. Can't comment much about here.

Fees from zero to N5: $736

Pyaess Japanese School
Another school that also using Minna no Nihongo 1st edition. Prides itself for using 2 teacher system in 1 class. 1 teacher will teach grammar for 1.5hrs, the other teacher will teach conversation for 1.5hrs.
Something i realize from their website: they put each class is 3 hours (link), but when you view the class schedule is only 2hrs 45 mins (link)...

Fees from zero to N5: $220 x 3 terms + $52 for textbook =$712

Tenrikyo Mission Centre
Some buddhist-related mission centre organized Japanese classes.
Not sure about how their course fee work.
http://kaigai2.tenrikyo.or.jp/singapore

You should go down to every school that you are interested in, talk to their teachers, get a friend who is well-versed in Japanese to go down with you.

However, once again i like to say, learning Japanese is like taking a degree, if you wanna take up the language, be serious about it. Good luck in finding the school that you want.

Last but not least, shall share with you my story... hope it drives you.
wanted to repost this for those who are asking for reviews.
plutoplace and temytemy like this.
Old 23-02-2017, 09:45 PM   #9267
Arch-Supremacy Member

Anyone received their certs already? Haven't got mine sia

EDIT: Called and they said they will be sending out late Feb/early March

Last edited by Toast A La Plunger; 24-02-2017 at 11:21 PM..
Toast A La Plunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 05:50 PM   #9268

Might be off topic here... Anyone has experience working in Japanese company?

From my experience, Japanese companies are one of the most challenging places to work for foreigners (Non Japanese). For those who have worked in Jap firms, 報連相、サビース残業、年功序列 should be quite familiar...
plutoplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 10:01 PM   #9269
Supremacy Member

From my experience, Japanese companies are one of the most challenging places to work for foreigners (Non Japanese). For those who have worked in Jap firms, 報連相、サビース残業、年功序列 should be quite familiar...
what do u wanna ask?
Old 27-02-2017, 09:12 AM   #9270
Supremacy Member

to a certain extent, I agree with you.
There are challenges when working in Japan in Japanese HQ companies.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.