HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

learning japanese

Like Tree325Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-01-2018, 12:11 PM   #9466
Master Member

My take on this as a person having amateur-level of Japanese:

First step is to enroll yourself into a language school to learn the basics, till the point of JLPT N4 level. N4 is enough for your travels (to read signs and ask the locals) to Japan, albeit you will end up using wrong grammar here and there.

Then from N4 onwards, do not make the mistake of chionging all those JLPT prep books, textbooks or workbooks. It is a very flawed Singaporean method. You pass your JLPT but 80% of your Japanese is returned to the textbook. I have seen N2 graduates who can't converse with Japanese people beyond the basic greetings. Think how Mandarin is thought in Singapore and the standard of Mandarin here, and you get the picture.

My advice (from my failed experiences) is to watch drama and live-action movies for learning. Best is those with Japanese subtitles. Kill two birds with one stone - you learn Japanese at a 'fun' setting and you know their mannerisms (when to use certain terms). Anime should be watched for entertainment, but not as learning since the Japanese used is not what the Japanese normally use in their conversations. I learned much more from watching drama than keep hitting the books.

You can watch NHK if you are hardcore but it is very formal Japanese with 80% kanji. Don't ever rush the learning of Japanese just because you want to take N2 or N3 exams, you miss out on the basics sometimes.

And lastly, after learning all these, don't end up as a weeb. lol. like some of my friends.
Ah_keong and Idme231 like this.
Scooby-Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 01:38 PM   #9467
Supremacy Member

agree.... I have classmates from early 20s to late 40s...
Old 25-01-2018, 04:17 PM   #9468

My take on this as a person having amateur-level of Japanese:

First step is to enroll yourself into a language school to learn the basics, till the point of JLPT N4 level. N4 is enough for your travels (to read signs and ask the locals) to Japan, albeit you will end up using wrong grammar here and there.

Then from N4 onwards, do not make the mistake of chionging all those JLPT prep books, textbooks or workbooks. It is a very flawed Singaporean method. You pass your JLPT but 80% of your Japanese is returned to the textbook. I have seen N2 graduates who can't converse with Japanese people beyond the basic greetings. Think how Mandarin is thought in Singapore and the standard of Mandarin here, and you get the picture.

My advice (from my failed experiences) is to watch drama and live-action movies for learning. Best is those with Japanese subtitles. Kill two birds with one stone - you learn Japanese at a 'fun' setting and you know their mannerisms (when to use certain terms). Anime should be watched for entertainment, but not as learning since the Japanese used is not what the Japanese normally use in their conversations. I learned much more from watching drama than keep hitting the books.

You can watch NHK if you are hardcore but it is very formal Japanese with 80% kanji. Don't ever rush the learning of Japanese just because you want to take N2 or N3 exams, you miss out on the basics sometimes.

And lastly, after learning all these, don't end up as a weeb. lol. like some of my friends.
Learn japanese with creativity and knowledge, esp convo... dont need use full sentence or straight forward like a book...
Although i use JLPT and structured books, create what you wan to say.. but slower in answering...

Last edited by Idme231; 25-01-2018 at 04:23 PM..
Idme231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 04:19 PM   #9469

agree.... I have classmates from early 20s to late 40s...
Went to a convo class, although i still forget what to say sometimes and alittle unclear...

At least i dont lag out previously when i spoke .
But not useful for JLPT
Not interchangeable...
Old 25-01-2018, 06:26 PM   #9470
Supremacy Member

Went to a convo class, although i still forget what to say sometimes and alittle unclear...

But not useful for JLPT
Not interchangeable...
what do you mean by not useful? You will still use grammar vocab and need lots of listening skill in order to converse in Japanese.

Now I am taking 2 classes, one in Ikoma and one in Bunka. Bunka advance classes is basically a conversation class.. you are expected to know how to converse in Japanese in that level and you still learn new vocab, grammar, ways of expression etc through the conversation classes.
zhirong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 06:28 AM   #9471

what do you mean by not useful? You will still use grammar vocab and need lots of listening skill in order to converse in Japanese.

Now I am taking 2 classes, one in Ikoma and one in Bunka. Bunka advance classes is basically a conversation class.. you are expected to know how to converse in Japanese in that level and you still learn new vocab, grammar, ways of expression etc through the conversation classes.
Probably you didn’t get what i mean.
How is convo useful in JLPT? Unless u tell me got Convo section? It’s different and you have to keep practicing it. JLPT is more about doing while convo is more about speaking...
two different things. apples and oranges. Unless you tell me you can speak by remembering from a textbook of words... you have to prepare alot of your clear theory before practical... You can practice for listening...

Ppl passed their JLPT, but do they know how to speak? Especially someone i know, passed N1... couldn’t speak at all.. than a person , who has yet to take a JLPT , can speak ... It all depends where they start from and their outcome..

Last edited by Idme231; 26-01-2018 at 07:14 AM..
Old 29-01-2018, 11:09 AM   #9472

Probably you didn’t get what i mean.
How is convo useful in JLPT? Unless u tell me got Convo section? It’s different and you have to keep practicing it. JLPT is more about doing while convo is more about speaking...
two different things. apples and oranges. Unless you tell me you can speak by remembering from a textbook of words... you have to prepare alot of your clear theory before practical... You can practice for listening...

Ppl passed their JLPT, but do they know how to speak? Especially someone i know, passed N1... couldn’t speak at all.. than a person , who has yet to take a JLPT , can speak ... It all depends where they start from and their outcome..
I take JLPT and I speak Japanese, go business trips in Japan, they are still related to some extent, especially listening part. Convo is a two way thing, you speak and listen/vice versa. Obviously you can't speak to someone and expect him/her to listen to you all the time.

Some people take JLPT to give them minimal form of measurement that they are able to understand Japanese. There are other tests available but JLPT is more commonly recognized esp. in Japanese companies. There are scenarios where you are required to read and reply to emails, answering phone calls e.t.c. just like any other languages, so if you do not have any nothing to certify you are able to do all these, then it becomes very difficult to gauge your abilities.

Last edited by nogizaka46; 29-01-2018 at 01:34 PM..
nogizaka46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 11:34 AM   #9473
Supremacy Member

But not useful for JLPT
Not interchangeable...
As for me, I find conversation good for listening and vice versa.
It works as a pair....

I have met many who score for JLPT but I find they struggle for conversation.

I have met one who have worked in Japan for many years and can come across as a native Japanese but does not have JLPT cert.

In summary, I would say the JLPT cert is a kind of measurable benchmark for your Japanese Language proficiency. There are more elements than certs when it comes to third language.
Idme231 likes this.

Last edited by Ah_keong; 29-01-2018 at 11:42 AM..
Ah_keong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 04:16 PM   #9474

Smile

Yes yes... scare I am too old to learn
Mai tu liao. You are missing out on so much fun.

I had a classmate who was in his 60s, in my Intermediate class, years ago. He learned Japanese as he wanted to understand the Japanese dramas he watched. I also have a friend who is in her 50s. She will be taking N1 for the third time this July. She does not need to use Japanese at work but she uses JLPT to assess her improvement.

Whatever may be your purpose for learning Japanese, do not let age stop you from taking the first step.

Last edited by jeremiahtong; 30-01-2018 at 07:34 PM..
jeremiahtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 04:53 AM   #9475

Just wanna ask, is Inoue School of Language & Art still open at peace centre? seems like their website is down.. Kinda deciding between Pyaess and well Inoue if they still exist LOL. And also, is anyone here in Pyaess now? or had studied there before?
aexlle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:11 AM   #9476

I take JLPT and I speak Japanese, go business trips in Japan, they are still related to some extent, especially listening part. Convo is a two way thing, you speak and listen/vice versa. Obviously you can't speak to someone and expect him/her to listen to you all the time.

Some people take JLPT to give them minimal form of measurement that they are able to understand Japanese. There are other tests available but JLPT is more commonly recognized esp. in Japanese companies. There are scenarios where you are required to read and reply to emails, answering phone calls e.t.c. just like any other languages, so if you do not have any nothing to certify you are able to do all these, then it becomes very difficult to gauge your abilities.
So if i took another form of test besides JLPT (or a Test equivalent to itself),does it mean it is less recognised?
I see the gauges are very different.

For listening, i am not sure if the speed convo in the test is the same as the speed the converse over there, so that’s my POV. (Which is kinda incorrect)

Last edited by Idme231; 01-02-2018 at 08:26 AM..
Old 01-02-2018, 08:13 AM   #9477

Just wanna ask, is Inoue School of Language & Art still open at peace centre? seems like their website is down.. Kinda deciding between Pyaess and well Inoue if they still exist LOL. And also, is anyone here in Pyaess now? or had studied there before?
I studied before there. Structured. They select your level where you are suitable for.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:18 AM   #9478

Inoue has closed down.

Last edited by jeremiahtong; 10-02-2018 at 08:12 AM..
jeremiahtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:06 AM   #9479

So if i took another form of test besides JLPT (or a Test equivalent to itself),does it mean it is less recognised?
I see the gauges are very different.

For listening, i am not sure if the speed convo in the test is the same as the speed the converse over there, so thatís my POV. (Which is kinda incorrect)
Nope, there are a lot of accurate tests out there, as stated earlier, JLPT is more commonly recognized as a gauge for Japanese companies' employability than the rest of the tests. You can also take take BJT (test format is similar to JLPT, but questions mostly have business jargons), A level, EJU e.t.c. and put in resume if you can pass, Japanese companies will still recognize your ability to understand Japanese.

Conversation speed in Japan is usually the same and slightly faster than natural speed you listen during the test, with wide range of topics and different intonation (every region has a different way of pronouncing their words). Just make sure you can at least pass listening first, as that is the basic standard of Japanese language (標準語).
Idme231 likes this.
nogizaka46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:21 AM   #9480

Nope, there are a lot of accurate tests out there, as stated earlier, JLPT is more commonly recognized as a gauge for Japanese companies' employability than the rest of the tests. You can also take take BJT (test format is similar to JLPT, but questions mostly have business jargons), A level, EJU e.t.c. and put in resume if you can pass, Japanese companies will still recognize your ability to understand Japanese.

Conversation speed in Japan is usually the same and slightly faster than natural speed you listen during the test, with wide range of topics and different intonation (every region has a different way of pronouncing their words). Just make sure you can at least pass listening first, as that is the basic standard of Japanese language (標準語).
Noted. Thanks for the clarification yea.
For listening, i am told by my sensei that i have some issues, will need to work on it.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.