HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

learning japanese

Like Tree356Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2018, 03:10 PM   #9481
Supremacy Member

Hi, I am looking to learn conversational japanese. Any recommendations? Considering private lessons for flexibility too.
Used to learn back in poly year 1 but almost forgotten already.
Take a placement test from Ikoma and proceed from there, they have classes on most days so you can join other classes if you cant make it for your original class.
zhirong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:43 PM   #9482
Master Member

Thanks! Can I know if I am able to claim from skillsfuture credit for this? I don't see any indications about claiming..
Winry~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:46 PM   #9483

Thanks! Can I know if I am able to claim from skillsfuture credit for this? I don't see any indications about claiming..
No as Ikoma did not sign up to be a training provider for SkillsFuture.

Bunka, Hougang Japanese Language School and JCSS are training providers for SkillsFuture. You may want to check them out if you intend to use your SkillsFuture credit.
Winry~ likes this.

Last edited by jeremiahtong; 02-03-2018 at 10:48 PM..
jeremiahtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:18 PM   #9484

Hi, I am looking to learn conversational japanese. Any recommendations? Considering private lessons for flexibility too.
Used to learn back in poly year 1 but almost forgotten already.
Do you mean a solely conversation class without grammar and vocabulary?
Janetsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:58 PM   #9485
Supremacy Member

Do you mean a solely conversation class without grammar and vocabulary?
Pure conversation class, probably the closest is pre-advance and advance classes in Bunka.

Ikoma pre-advance classes does have quite a bit of conversation as well.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:34 PM   #9486
Master Member

I know some vocabulary, just that I cant really form a sentence as my grammar is bad.
I am looking at a quick fix (can't think of a better word) as I am slow at reading/ recognising the kanji etc so it will take a longer time if I were to take the proper route. I needed to learn how to converse as soon as I can.
Winry~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 04:15 PM   #9487
Supremacy Member

I know some vocabulary, just that I cant really form a sentence as my grammar is bad.
I am looking at a quick fix (can't think of a better word) as I am slow at reading/ recognising the kanji etc so it will take a longer time if I were to take the proper route. I needed to learn how to converse as soon as I can.
There is no shortcut. I would suggest going to a regular class. Conversation should comes naturally as you progresses. Most classes dont focus on Kanji and it is usually learnt along the way.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:41 PM   #9488

Not to discourage starters out there.
Do study hard and exam results are not the end of the world.

Do reflect and see which area is strong and weak and where to improve on after this exam.

For N5 and N4 holders.
From my personal experience, I would not recommend you to go for N3, N2 if you do not get 85~90% for your exam as it means your fundamentals (Grammar, Vocab, Listening, Writing, Speaking, switching between your master language and Japanese language) may not be not strong enough to tackle more advanced levels.

Do polish up ALL your areas especially weaker ones!

Good Luck. Have Fun!
Don't give up. You are not alone.

諦めないで~キミは一人じゃない~
Should I retake again since I didn’t hit 90% for N4? My listening portion scored poorly (only managed 68%) though I got above 85% for grammar.

Any advice?

Btw, if I’ve completed Pre-Advanced in Ikoma, that’s N3 right?
thwysg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:46 AM   #9489
Supremacy Member

Should I retake again since I didnít hit 90% for N4? My listening portion scored poorly (only managed 68%) though I got above 85% for grammar.

Any advice?

Btw, if Iíve completed Pre-Advanced in Ikoma, thatís N3 right?
Pre-advance in Ikoma is not N3 as there are still certain N3 grammar not covered. However, I believe you can easily clear N3 if you can follow most of the pre-advance lessons.

Ikoma regular classes syllabus does not follow the JLPT route past Intermediate. You will learn some N2 or even N1 grammar/vocab in pre-advance but you will also be missing some N3 stuff. Their JLPT prep courses are the ones that are really tailored for JLPT.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:56 AM   #9490

Looking for ways to further improve my speaking and listening for Japanese as i feel quite stuck at this level.

My recent JLPT 2 result:
5x/60 - Grammer/Vocab
5x/60 - Listening
4x/60 - Reading

Felt quite disappointed for my reading section as i struggle with the lack of time to properly read through and finish it (probably read too slow).

I did not not why i never took JLPT 4 & 5 and took 3 straight. My result for JLPT 3 was 90% above and completed it with ease of time. However for JLPT 2 this time, i felt that i do not have enough time.

Would not want to take JLPT1 for this year as i want to increase and familiar with more vocab to help with my speaking and listening. Currently, watching lots of jap dramas with subtitles and likes to listen to JPOP.

Last edited by truemelodies; 06-03-2018 at 12:10 PM..
truemelodies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 01:07 PM   #9491
Master Member

Looking for ways to further improve my speaking and listening for Japanese as i feel quite stuck at this level.

My recent JLPT 2 result:
5x/60 - Grammer/Vocab
5x/60 - Listening
4x/60 - Reading

Felt quite disappointed for my reading section as i struggle with the lack of time to properly read through and finish it (probably read too slow).

I did not not why i never took JLPT 4 & 5 and took 3 straight. My result for JLPT 3 was 90% above and completed it with ease of time. However for JLPT 2 this time, i felt that i do not have enough time.

Would not want to take JLPT1 for this year as i want to increase and familiar with more vocab to help with my speaking and listening. Currently, watching lots of jap dramas with subtitles and likes to listen to JPOP.
Damn, my JLPT N2 also quite bad as well.
I only got
60/60 - Grammer/Vocab
58/60 - Listening
49/60 - Reading
nogizaka46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 01:33 PM   #9492
Supremacy Member

Should I retake again since I didnít hit 90% for N4? My listening portion scored poorly (only managed 68%) though I got above 85% for grammar.

Any advice?

Btw, if Iíve completed Pre-Advanced in Ikoma, thatís N3 right?
maybe you want to put more effort in listening.
Pre-Advanced In Ikoma is near N3, but it would be recommended to go for JLPT prep course for N3.

Old 06-03-2018, 01:39 PM   #9493

maybe you want to put more effort in listening.
Pre-Advanced In Ikoma is near N3, but it would be recommended to go for JLPT prep course for N3.

Oh okay, kamsia. Will try to revise again on those CDs. Does JCS follow syllabus for N3? Or better to do self study? Very chor if I do prep course, am not working so very poor. Thinking of continuing Advanced course.
thwysg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 05:53 PM   #9494

Damn, my JLPT N2 also quite bad as well.
I only got
60/60 - Grammer/Vocab
58/60 - Listening
49/60 - Reading
Hmm... Guess it is really quite hard to get 90% and above for reading.

For speaking/listening to my Japanese colleagues is still manageable as you can use simple Vocab and they will most likely tone down for you if you are not native. However, when it comes to reading Jap documents and proposals, it is really headache for me as lots of business and industry terms and sentence structure I'm not familiar with.

Last edited by truemelodies; 06-03-2018 at 05:59 PM..
truemelodies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:36 AM   #9495
Supremacy Member

Oh okay, kamsia. Will try to revise again on those CDs. Does JCS follow syllabus for N3? Or better to do self study? Very chor if I do prep course, am not working so very poor. Thinking of continuing Advanced course.
It depends,

if you do not want to do prep course, maybe you want to proceed with pre-advanced and then advanced and then consider N3.

There are many other aspects of Japanese language usually covered in the normal courses while JLPT prep course focus on the revision of the test coverage.

I would not recommend to do self study for N3 onwards. For N5 and N4, it is still ok to do self study (assuming your fundamentals are rock solid).

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.