HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

learning japanese

Like Tree358Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-05-2020, 09:44 AM   #9691
Supremacy Member

if you are doing it as a hobby, then it's advisable to learn yourself first via places like japanesepod101, etc. Don't waste money. Learning a language requires commitment. It's usually about 2 hours of lesson + 4 hours of revision a week.

I tried to learn Korean, after I mastered my Japanese. At that time, I could not afford to spend even 2 hours to revise after class. After which, I stopped after 3 lessons, because I couldn't catch up.

You can try to do some searching online to see what others say about learning a language.

https://www.japaneseexplorer.com.sg/...guage-classes/

https://www.liveworkplayjapan.com/le...uent-in-japan/

https://www.iwillteachyoualanguage.com/learn/japanese
May I know where did you learn Japanese from?

Any idea which schools are better for pure beginners?
ichinisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 09:49 PM   #9692
Supremacy Member

I started with Hougang Japanese Language School in 2006-2007 till N4 (then it was called JLPT 3), then I did online studies with Japanese Online for about 3 yrs and also Ikoma for their prep class only..

For a start, I think it would be good for you to do some self learning first, then after that enrol in a school.

The common ones would be Ikoma, Bunka or Hougang Japanese Language school.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:55 AM   #9693
Master Member

Ask yourself what's your purpose for learning. Ask yourself what's your motivation for learning. Can you afford the time and effort to constantly expose yourself to the language? Check if you have close contact with Japanese media, albeit news, drama, anime, books.
lyzergnature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:24 PM   #9694

recommendation to pick up/revise Japanese

Hihi,

I took my N2 a few years ago and since graduating from Ikoma 2- 3 years ago i have not really touch Japanese for a long time but i would like pick it up again by self study and revision rather than going for refresher courses (if i can avoid). I am looking to revive it as a additional "skill" for my career in future (if it happen).

Thus i would like ask for recommendation what/where is the best way to re-visit the language?

Thank You.
Old 09-06-2020, 08:48 PM   #9695
Supremacy Member

Hihi,

I took my N2 a few years ago and since graduating from Ikoma 2- 3 years ago i have not really touch Japanese for a long time but i would like pick it up again by self study and revision rather than going for refresher courses (if i can avoid). I am looking to revive it as a additional "skill" for my career in future (if it happen).

Thus i would like ask for recommendation what/where is the best way to re-visit the language?

Thank You.
Watch Japanese shows/anime/drama..
dimitri_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 06:49 AM   #9696

There are also facebook groups for language exchanges. Like native Japanese person wanna learn english and tadah there's you who wanna learn japanese. Can also check out duolingo.
Old 19-08-2020, 01:23 AM   #9697

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone of you is familiar with any Private Japanese Lesson? Would appreciate some advise or recommendation.

Thank you!
Soitfriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 02:21 PM   #9698
Great Supremacy Member

Hihi,

Thank You.
Hi, I'm in the same shoes. Lately I have been watching Japanese drama and using conversational exchange app to brush up on my japanese.
Old 19-08-2020, 05:23 PM   #9699
Supremacy Member

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone of you is familiar with any Private Japanese Lesson? Would appreciate some advise or recommendation.

Thank you!
if you are doing it as a hobby, then it's advisable to learn yourself first via places like japanesepod101, etc. Don't waste money. Learning a language requires commitment. It's usually about 2 hours of lesson + 4 hours of revision a week.

I tried to learn Korean, after I mastered my Japanese. At that time, I could not afford to spend even 2 hours to revise after class. After which, I stopped after 3 lessons, because I couldn't catch up.

You can try to do some searching online to see what others say about learning a language.

https://www.japaneseexplorer.com.sg/...guage-classes/

https://www.liveworkplayjapan.com/le...uent-in-japan/

https://www.iwillteachyoualanguage.com/learn/japanese

Last edited by dimitri_can; 19-08-2020 at 05:38 PM..
Old 19-08-2020, 08:22 PM   #9700
Supremacy Member

Change of N4/N5 duration for Paper 1 and Paper 2 from Dec 2020 onwards

Old 11-09-2020, 01:12 AM   #9701

Selling bundle of Japanese textbooks.

Some used. Some unused. Mostly 10-20% used or new.

PM if interested. Am fluent and do not need these.
etude123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 10:31 AM   #9702

Selling bundle of Japanese textbooks.

Some used. Some unused. Mostly 10-20% used or new.

PM if interested. Am fluent and do not need these.
Hello. Are the books still available?
blockchain.dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 09:29 AM   #9703

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone knows whether there are JLPT N1 prep courses that are SkillsFuture eligible. Pretty sure we can't use SkillsFuture for Ikoma, and Bunka doesn't seem to conduct any more JLPT prep courses.

Thanks.
SekishuAkiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 09:35 AM   #9704
Supremacy Member

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone knows whether there are JLPT N1 prep courses that are SkillsFuture eligible. Pretty sure we can't use SkillsFuture for Ikoma, and Bunka doesn't seem to conduct any more JLPT prep courses.

Thanks.
I think it might be hard for government to even approve such courses... cos its a prep course... from the school's pt of view, the process of applying to get such courses is also not easy.
Old 16-10-2020, 09:48 AM   #9705

I think it might be hard for government to even approve such courses... cos its a prep course... from the school's pt of view, the process of applying to get such courses is also not easy.
Thanks for the quick reply. Kind of unfortunate we can't use SkillsFuture for the prep course, most translator jobs require JLPT N2 or above. Having a certificate definitely boosts a person's employability. But well, it is what it is.
SekishuAkiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.