HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

learning japanese

Like Tree358Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2021, 11:49 PM   #9721
Supremacy Member

For a start, do some self-studying first to write Hiragana. I recommend 4-5 hours per week... at the end of N5, maybe 5-6 hours a week... search for my reviews that I did on this page.

Some people find it easy to start, but hard to continue.....
As yourself what you want to achieve...
Old 03-01-2021, 12:08 AM   #9722

Thanks

I think Ikoma is quite good. 4-5 hours per week is on top of the lesson hours ?

My objective is just for conversation.. read that N3 is around there. Not really aiming higher than that.

Maybe until job requires then will wanna further advance to business Japanese that kind of level.. if not, conversational is good for me.

Possible to take N5 in July ? If I start my lessons in Jan... 6 months time ok?

Actually how u all use Japanese in ur daily life?

For a start, do some self-studying first to write Hiragana. I recommend 4-5 hours per week... at the end of N5, maybe 5-6 hours a week... search for my reviews that I did on this page.

Some people find it easy to start, but hard to continue.....
As yourself what you want to achieve...

Last edited by Iamnobodyla; 03-01-2021 at 12:11 AM..
Iamnobodyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:40 AM   #9723
Supremacy Member

Thanks

I think Ikoma is quite good. 4-5 hours per week is on top of the lesson hours ?

My objective is just for conversation.. read that N3 is around there. Not really aiming higher than that.

Maybe until job requires then will wanna further advance to business Japanese that kind of level.. if not, conversational is good for me.

Possible to take N5 in July ? If I start my lessons in Jan... 6 months time ok?

Actually how u all use Japanese in ur daily life?
Yes. On top. If you aiming for conversation, dont rush to take exam. Usually its about 1 year of studies for N5. At N5, you need about 150 hours of studying + self study. My students do 250 hours though. Treat it like studying for a degree.

I watch animes, dramas; teach in Japanese; buy Japanese cosmetics, supplements, books, etc.
dimitri_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:10 PM   #9724

Pm contact pls. TIA!

Does your relative good in computer / internet, and also can read Chinese traditional characters?

I'm asking this, because I'm also learning Japanese in Chinese language.

However, I'm learning Japanese with a Taiwanese teacher.

He has online courses, from beginning up to N1 level.

I bought the course, and whenever I want to learn, I just opened the course and learn. Anytime, even midnight too.

And no, the course bought will not expire. If I bought last year, I still can learn the course this year or next year.

I'm learning from him because:

1. I couldn't find learning Japanese course in Chinese language over here in Singapore.
2. The course is much cheaper as compared to here (about 30% - 50% cheaper).
3. I can learn anytime I want.
4. He teaches a lot of things which typical textbook doesn't teach.

Btw, sometimes he might also do FB live, have a few questions asked by students, and explained the questions and why the answer is this and not that.... This is usually on Sunday nights, 9 pm.

Oh ya, currently he also has published 4 learning Japanese books, and seems like 2 more are also confirmed to be published.
DashJX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 10:07 PM   #9725

hi guys can give some recommendations for online courses? dont have time to go to the language school for weekly lessons, so hoping to find some online lessons/courses i can learn on my own pace - preferably more serious ones with homework and textbooks.

btw are there any schools offering 1 to 1 online classes where i can move along at my own pace?

Last edited by nydeidith; 07-01-2021 at 10:12 PM..
nydeidith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 10:16 PM   #9726
Supremacy Member

You can try www.udemy.com or www.japanesepod101.com
Old 07-01-2021, 10:24 PM   #9727

You can try www.udemy.com or www.japanesepod101.com
thank very much!

while searching online i also found hougang japanese language school which offers online 1to1 for $30/hours...very reasonable rate and seems like a legit place...basically i dont have much time due to work and children and 1to1 online seems the best if i can have some flexibility for lesson timings! what do you think? my goal is to be conversational!
Old 07-01-2021, 10:33 PM   #9728
Supremacy Member

Hougang Japanese Language School was my alma-mater.

You have to ask yourself if you have 4 hours to study per week? If not, it's better to rely on online resources to learn first, once you have some certain knowledge, then proceed to do lessons. Don't waste the money.
Old 07-01-2021, 10:41 PM   #9729

Hougang Japanese Language School was my alma-mater.

You have to ask yourself if you have 4 hours to study per week? If not, it's better to rely on online resources to learn first, once you have some certain knowledge, then proceed to do lessons. Don't waste the money.
Thanks! I will call them to check. I do have the 4 hours to study per week, just not at structured weekly timings at language schools. It will be great if the teachers are flexible with the class timing (e.g. having the lessons later at night or really really early in the morning and doing it online to remove need to travel somewhere). Actually i have studied in the past when i younger and also took classes in university, so i do know the basics already. Anyways thanks for your inputs
Old 07-01-2021, 10:45 PM   #9730
Supremacy Member

I don't think they can. Call and check with them.
It's not the online that you think it is. The online classes have teachers around.
Old 07-01-2021, 10:49 PM   #9731

I don't think they can. Call and check with them.
It's not the online that you think it is. The online classes have teachers around.
I think its something new. Website says 1 to 1 online. I'm actually looking for this type of classes where there is a physical teacher and books will be used.

https://www.hougangjapanese.com/online-class
Old 20-01-2021, 12:18 PM   #9732

I learned Japanese from MOE Language Centre from sec 1-JC1. My grades are A2 for O lvls and B for H1. I really loved the teachers there, they were nice, and also organise other activities like sushi making, movie screenings.

In NUS, I also learned Japanese 4 and Japanese 5. Hated how NUS taught it, because it was VERY intense (7 hours a week, many homework and tests). I of course focused on my major which is Business, and only get B- in NUS. Also, NUS teach a lot of useless stuff like how to talk about politics, or study overseas in Japan which is not relevant to my interest.

Passed JLPT N2 in 2014, and failed N1 so I did not take it again. I was disillusioned by how Japanese companies conduct interviews, such as Muji, Sojitz, Uniqlo. A lot of sexist questions (saying I look like a princess, how they won't send women on business trips to India).

I have a lot of study materials, can pm me if want to share.
9eptember18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 03:11 AM   #9733

Pm contact pls. TIA!
Pm me contact aso thks
YangPing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2021, 10:50 PM   #9734

Does your relative good in computer / internet, and also can read Chinese traditional characters?

I'm asking this, because I'm also learning Japanese in Chinese language.

However, I'm learning Japanese with a Taiwanese teacher.

He has online courses, from beginning up to N1 level.

I bought the course, and whenever I want to learn, I just opened the course and learn. Anytime, even midnight too.

And no, the course bought will not expire. If I bought last year, I still can learn the course this year or next year.

I'm learning from him because:

1. I couldn't find learning Japanese course in Chinese language over here in Singapore.
2. The course is much cheaper as compared to here (about 30% - 50% cheaper).
3. I can learn anytime I want.
4. He teaches a lot of things which typical textbook doesn't teach.

Btw, sometimes he might also do FB live, have a few questions asked by students, and explained the questions and why the answer is this and not that.... This is usually on Sunday nights, 9 pm.

Oh ya, currently he also has published 4 learning Japanese books, and seems like 2 more are also confirmed to be published.
Hi, I am interested. Can you please PM me the details? Thank you.
always2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.