learning japanese

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Great! I like that. However, there are tests once in awhile right? But they are not casual until they overlook going through the lessons or notes for the day right?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions, buti am about to start my lessons at Ikoma!
Well, i think Ikoma is good for a start. =)

terraj

Reaction score
Yes. The JLPT prep course is v intensive...

If you go Japan, you will know. Just came back from Japan 2 weeks back. =)

Sorry, I don't get the "if I go to Japan" part? I went to Japan 2 years ago...not sure what I should be looking out for?

Edit: ah I think I got what you're trying to say, but that's not what I was asking. :) I just felt it's better to master the dictionary form first because it's much easier to translate the "u" sounds to "a" "e" "i" "o", than from "i" to the other vowels. Furthermore, you'll be able to understand the dictionary immediately by using the casual form (not so casual to the point that syllables get shortened though). Furthermore, Japanese aren't so particular about foreigners not being able to use the polite form properly (at least for the beginners). In fact, I had some younger Japanese acquaintences asking me why I used "keigo" (= polite form). It seems that the younger Japanese aren't used to using polite form very much :)

Last edited:

terraj

Reaction score
Great! I like that. However, there are tests once in awhile right? But they are not casual until they overlook going through the lessons or notes for the day right?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions, buti am about to start my lessons at Ikoma!

I did Ikoma full time for elementary and that was the only time I had mini tests (closer to the JLPT). Studied up till advanced one year ago (but had to stop because I went overseas to studY) and they didn't have tests from intermediate till advance. The school doesn't spoon feed you though, just like university if you don't do your own work you only have yourself to blame :)

To give you an idea of Ikoma standard with regards to JLPT, completing the advanced level is about slightly lesser than JLPT2 standard. I did my JLPT2 during my pre-advanced course through self-study and did reasonably well; although some of my friends went for the prep course and did JLPT2 after intermediate, and subsequently JLPT1 the next year (the friends who tried that passed marginally for both, as it's really not easy at that level). I don't advise you to go that route though, it really takes the fun out of learning. It's better to learn at your own pace and leisure, unless you have some sort of reason to rush.

Last edited:

arcadefire

Reaction score
I did Ikoma full time for elementary and that was the only time I had mini tests (closer to the JLPT). Studied up till advanced one year ago (but had to stop because I went overseas to studY) and they didn't have tests from intermediate till advance. The school doesn't spoon feed you though, just like university if you don't do your own work you only have yourself to blame :)

To give you an idea of Ikoma standard with regards to JLPT, completing the advanced level is about slightly lesser than JLPT2 standard. I did my JLPT2 during my pre-advanced course through self-study; although some of my friends went for the prep course and did JLPT2 after intermediate, and subsequently JLPT1 the next year (passed marginally for both, as it's really not easy at that level). I don't advise you to go that route though, it really takes the fun out of learning. It's better to learn at your own pace and leisure, unless you have some sort of reason to rush.

I am starting Basic 1 full-time as well, end of this month :) Self-studying is no problem for me, I GUESS, LOL.

Was it tough taking it full-time? I will be working PT (3 days a week at a club), and also, possibly dabble in freelance writing, if there's the time :)

terraj

Reaction score
For me, full time classes wasn't difficult as I wasn't working at the time (just graduated from university then); in fact it was quite relaxing and enjoyable (it's only 3 hours a day anyway). In any case the full time classes only lasted from end July to I think beginning November (enough to cover all the JLPT 4 and 3 material).

arcadefire

Reaction score
My FT class starting on 30th June, ends 5 weeks later :) But that's just Basic 1. Basic 2 will be another 5 weeks I suppose.

Yeah, planning to take JLPT 3 this year. Everyone is telling me to skip 4, so I will! :)

Thanks for all the feedback, terraj!

Hippo_dance

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To me reasonable lah. More ex than JCS and Bunka, but JCS the place damn ulu and Bunka classrooms are like in "shops".

I wouldn't mind JCS but must rush to enroll kind; I didn't get it though I went quite early, all vacancies taken up...

Overall, ikoma looks like the best to me.

hehe... ok noted :D will give it a look as well.
btw, would like to know if we could eg: do basic levels at one place, then after tat go advance levels at another place?

terraj

Reaction score
Warning about JCS:
I went to JCS's advance class to try out for while completing the end of my Ikoma pre-advanced classes. So yeah, it's possible to switch schools. JCS's reading material was definitely a lot more harder (obviously because one's preadvanced, and the other's advanced) but the students there were really weak! It's ridiculous because a lot of them obviously didn't really understand what they were trying to 'learn'. The classes at JCS were too big, they have crazy ideas about attendence, and the learning style didn't accomodate much speaking. Needless to say I dropped out of the class pretty quickly.

One thing that I did get out of it though was being exposed to more difficult material and looking at that concurently with my JLPT2 self study, it really helped. After doing my JLPT2, I was able to finish reading my 1st novel, 魔性の子, from the 十二国記 series. :) [BTW, that's a good book to read for newbies to Japanese novels, because (1) it's got a great plot and (2) the Japanese is relatively easy.]

arcadefire: good luck for your FT class, hope you enjoy it.

Really missing Japanese classes now... It seems I've forgotten how to converse properly after not practising for more than a year! (reading isn't a problem though) T__T Can't wait for my postgraduate studies to be over so I can return to Singapore and resume them.

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't get the "if I go to Japan" part? I went to Japan 2 years ago...not sure what I should be looking out for?

Edit: ah I think I got what you're trying to say, but that's not what I was asking. :) I just felt it's better to master the dictionary form first because it's much easier to translate the "u" sounds to "a" "e" "i" "o", than from "i" to the other vowels. Furthermore, you'll be able to understand the dictionary immediately by using the casual form (not so casual to the point that syllables get shortened though). Furthermore, Japanese aren't so particular about foreigners not being able to use the polite form properly (at least for the beginners). In fact, I had some younger Japanese acquaintences asking me why I used "keigo" (= polite form). It seems that the younger Japanese aren't used to using polite form very much :)

I guess so... Dictionary form are easier to translate... Younger Japanese aren't used to using polite form except for the 店員さん. =)

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Warning about JCS:
but the students there were really weak!
Agreed. =p

Really missing Japanese classes now... It seems I've forgotten how to converse properly after not practising for more than a year! (reading isn't a problem though) T__T Can't wait for my postgraduate studies to be over so I can return to Singapore and resume them.

Ehhhhhhhhhh? You not in SG now?

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nope. No requirement. If you wanna save $, i suggest u go to Hougang. =)

i see, thanks...

my jap penpal recommend me Ikoma, so maybe i am going down orchard walk walk and have a look.... and also go Bunka also since it is quite near Ikoma...

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My FT class starting on 30th June, ends 5 weeks later :) But that's just Basic 1. Basic 2 will be another 5 weeks I suppose.

Yeah, planning to take JLPT 3 this year. Everyone is telling me to skip 4, so I will! :)

Thanks for all the feedback, terraj!

really?? i just got my JLPT 4 last year, so thinking of getting JLPT 3 next year... :D

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Warning about JCS:
I went to JCS's advance class to try out for while completing the end of my Ikoma pre-advanced classes. So yeah, it's possible to switch schools. JCS's reading material was definitely a lot more harder (obviously because one's preadvanced, and the other's advanced) but the students there were really weak! It's ridiculous because a lot of them obviously didn't really understand what they were trying to 'learn'. The classes at JCS were too big, they have crazy ideas about attendence, and the learning style didn't accomodate much speaking. Needless to say I dropped out of the class pretty quickly.

One thing that I did get out of it though was being exposed to more difficult material and looking at that concurently with my JLPT2 self study, it really helped. After doing my JLPT2, I was able to finish reading my 1st novel, 魔性の子, from the 十二国記 series. :) [BTW, that's a good book to read for newbies to Japanese novels, because (1) it's got a great plot and (2) the Japanese is relatively easy.]

arcadefire: good luck for your FT class, hope you enjoy it.

I am from JCS elementary intensive... the class size is quite big, if not for my Japanese penpal, i might have lost interest also...

but i thought Ikoma got advance and further advance class???

and from this thread, i saw many advice abt not jumping sch...

so i recommend those interested in learning jap, choose a sch u like and stick 2 it... :D

terraj

Reaction score
Yup I don't recommend jumping school because you may get out of synch with the pace of learning (this really depends on the person though). I went to JCS advance just to have a look because it was really cheap and I felt I was ahead of my Ikoma class so just wanted to have more variety of material (I didn't quit Ikoma when I went to JCS, I went concurrently). Ikoma has further advanced classes. I had a chance to look at the textbook they used and it was probably about JCS advance standard. Too bad I couldn't continue cos I had to go abroad. :-( But there are plenty of other ways to learn Japanese with the internet nowadays hehe. One of the things I'm currently listening to is seiyuu anime radio. Very fun and free. :D

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yup I don't recommend jumping school because you may get out of synch with the pace of learning (this really depends on the person though). I went to JCS advance just to have a look because it was really cheap and I felt I was ahead of my Ikoma class so just wanted to have more variety of material (I didn't quit Ikoma when I went to JCS, I went concurrently). Ikoma has further advanced classes. I had a chance to look at the textbook they used and it was probably about JCS advance standard. Too bad I couldn't continue cos I had to go abroad. :-( But there are plenty of other ways to learn Japanese with the internet nowadays hehe. One of the things I'm currently listening to is seiyuu anime radio. Very fun and free. :D

i see...

i was thinking of going 2 ikoma and starting from scratch.... my penpal also recommend this sch... :D

shiok!! hope 2 start soon!

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am from JCS elementary intensive... the class size is quite big, if not for my Japanese penpal, i might have lost interest also...

so i recommend those interested in learning jap, choose a sch u like and stick 2 it... :D

Ikoma has advanced and further advanced classes for JLPT 1 students and people who passed JLPT 1 just like my senpai..

You can switch schools, but know what you want ultimately and know what standard each school is teaching at ever level. =)

Hippo_dance

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Hi, how to get japanese penpal? :s31:=:p

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ikoma has advanced and further advanced classes for JLPT 1 students and people who passed JLPT 1 just like my senpai..

You can switch schools, but know what you want ultimately and know what standard each school is teaching at ever level. =)

yah, i went 2 both ikoma and bunka 2day...

and i decided 2 choose ikoma... will finalise my decision 2mr when i bring my senpai go look see... :D

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, how to get japanese penpal? :s31:=:p

errm.. its a long story...

basically, it started with exchange program 2 Japan, Hokkaido and then bang!

bang into this gal and knock her down, then help her up and then ask her for directions as my jap was that time 2nd best in the group... the 1st best was smoking behind... :D

the rest is history... :D

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.