Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

pcme or bcme in jc?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rockerex
  • 1 Post By Seannnnn

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-10-2018, 11:55 PM   #1

pcme or bcme in jc?

hi, i'm currently having difficulty choosing between h2 physics and h2 biology for my alevel subjects.

personally, i like bio better because i find it more interesting to learn about as compared to physics. but after reading up on the h2 bio syllabus i realised that alevel bio is more of molecular bio, which i am less interested in as compared to the other topics. and also bio is a lot more content heavy, so i'm afraid i'll burn out or neglect other subjects while studying for bio.

i don't like physics that much, but i suspect that may be because i don't do as well and just can't understand certain concepts (eg current electricity), not because i dislike the subject itself. people say i can get better with practice but once the question is twisted into something different from what i am used to i simply cannot apply what i know. super frustrating for me. seniors have also told me that jc physics is way harder than sec 4 physics, so if i don't have a strong foundation ready i will suffer...

i'm leaning towards physics because it provides more options (i have no idea what i want to do in uni) and requires less time to study if i actually get the concepts, so i'm thinking maybe the solution is to do pcme and go for physics tuition. any thoughts on the effectiveness of physics tuition?

for reference, my overall bio grade is 87% and my overall physics grade is 74% (i'm in ip and didn't take the olevels).

please provide me with any advice/thoughts/experiences so i can make a more informed decision! thank you :-)
starrymoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:01 AM   #2

Hi. I have had students inform me that H2 Bio is very tough. H2 Physics maybe easier to score. Physics opens more doors in university entry.
You need to select a subject that you are passionate about.
What faculty do you intend to go to and what field do you intend to major in university? From there, then you can select whether to take physics or bio.

All the best.
hello7777777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:37 PM   #3

Was in the same boat before, chose bio with no regrets

My reasons: bio grades better, healthy interest in bio, (though also really liked learning about physics theories but not very good at application), feel that getting As is very important, did not think there’s a high chance I will choose a physics related subject in uni and willing to give up those (potential) options for (likely) an A in the bag. Also didn’t wanna pay for physics tuition.

It’s uncommon but still possible to change majors in uni too, so it’s not the end of the road whichever you choose now, good luck!
pik4chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:50 AM   #4

Attend the trial lectures in your JC and see for yourself.

Loved bio in secondary school but JC bio is too molecular and I slept in that first lecture.

Physics is application based and require a good teacher to explain concepts. But if you make sure to learn them well you'll realise there's not much to memorise and IMO easier to score.
hello7777777 likes this.
rockerex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 06:36 PM   #5

Personally, I used to take PCME and I was facing this dilemma too. What made me take physics eventually is because I went to check out some holiday programs and asked seniors for notes. Turns out Bio is alot more content heavy than physics, while physics is more understanding and application. I think both requires the same amount of effort but it depends on how good you are with memorization of content.

As for usefulness, I would say Chem is the MUST TAKE for sciences, and there isnt much difference between physics and bio, because they are equivalent H2s, and how well u do will determine the Uni you can enroll in.

Consistency is the key to doing well in JC. So start your studying early, complete the tutorials and make sure to clarify doubts early on.

Anyway, I think econs is the more problematic one due to its relatively newer nature compared to the sciences. If you want to get an idea of how Econs will be like, PM me.
learnwithsherpa likes this.
Seannnnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.