HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Casual racism at the playground

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-10-2020, 09:33 PM   #1

Casual racism at the playground

Brought my toddler to the playground earlier today and there were these 3 Malay kids playing at the playground structure.

When I approached the slide to let my toddler have a go, they kept laughing and pointing at my kid then they told me he looks “funny”. I asked them why and one of them said “he looks like my classmate xxx (some Chinese name)”.

Was quite shocked at the casual racism displayed by these kids (primary school age). I really didn’t expect such behavior by young children.

As a parent, do you have similar experiences? How do you react?
Peasantboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 05:17 PM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

there are always these riff raff who display this kind of rude behavior
their parents probably didnt bring them up with good values
i make it a point to inculcate tolerance and understanding in my kids

you can only control certain things
that being said, kids nowadays are used to multi-cultural settings an I have great hope for our youth (i work with kids in a voluntary capacity)
cruizer_ph likes this.
BwaySaiDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 07:03 PM   #3

Imo it is perfectly normal for kids to congregate together via common characteristics and ostracize the odd one.

Can be color. Can be curly hair. Can be unbranded bags.

Actually I see this happening for adults as well. A group of colleagues speaking Chinese to one another and the only other odd one no catch ball to the conversation.

Our kid may likely do the same outside supervision in school. I will think it's a good opportunity to teach the kid to be tough against such scenarios, and to be more sensitive so they can avoid being hurtful to others
PsyClick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 10:40 AM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

You got picture of your child? Not everything is racism. Maybe really have physical defect
Old 29-10-2020, 10:48 AM   #5

Brought my toddler to the playground earlier today and there were these 3 Malay kids playing at the playground structure.

When I approached the slide to let my toddler have a go, they kept laughing and pointing at my kid then they told me he looks “funny”. I asked them why and one of them said “he looks like my classmate xxx (some Chinese name)”.

Was quite shocked at the casual racism displayed by these kids (primary school age). I really didn’t expect such behavior by young children.

IMHO.
Maybe you can share where is the casual racism ?
The title of this thread and what you have written, there is.
keenklee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 01:36 PM   #6

IMHO.
Maybe you can share where is the casual racism ?
The title of this thread and what you have written, there is.
haha.. i agree with you. more like TS is the racist
marxace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 03:58 PM   #7

haha.. i agree with you. more like TS is the racist
Eh.. i find out info only hor.
keenklee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 05:12 PM   #8
Arch-Supremacy Member

Not defending the boys' behaviour, but it doesn't seem like racism IMO.

Nothing to do with Chinese or Malay. Even you quoted him as saying, "he looks like my classmate XXX" and not "he looks like a Chinese" or something similarly racially offensive.

More like they found something funny in one of their friend's classmates. Probably a physical feature? Or perhaps they didn't use the right words to express how they felt your boy looked like his friend?

Though nothing was mentioned about the immediate reaction, I hope you had reacted more positively to remind them to be nicer to one another.
Old 30-10-2020, 04:31 PM   #9

Perhaps the Malay kids just weren't tactful, after all they are just at primary school age.
sencha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 05:18 PM   #10
Master Member

Nothing racist. Don’t everything also racists. It’s TS who is racist. He is assuming ppl are racists coz they different race.
luckygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:08 AM   #11
High Supremacy Member

Erm... "He looks like my classmate xxx" and you call it casual racism?

Some people say that I look like a relatively famous personality.
Some people say I don't look Singaporean.
I go Thailand, Indonesia, people think I am a local Thai Chinese or a Malaysian.

Point is, people of all ages have their opinions.

[SIZE="3"][I][B][FONT="Century Gothic"]No matter how carefully you choose your words, they'll always end up getting twisted by others.[/FONT][/B][/I][/SIZE]
BrOwnTeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 02:37 AM   #12

TS,Dun overthink....

Define Casual Racism ?

I don't see anything wrong in that comment made by the kids ....

Would you come here and rant if an Indian girl says you look like chow yun-fat .....or would you go around screaming " Issit because i am Chinese ?!?! "

simon_84 likes this.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:43 AM   #13
Arch-Supremacy Member

You don't come and drama and play race card la.
m/mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 01:25 PM   #14
Master Member

Nothing racist. Don’t everything also racists. It’s TS who is racist. He is assuming ppl are racists coz they different race.
Ya lo. I brought kids to playground since they learn to walk. Play with other kids no issue diff races. I don't even stand that close or listen to their kids chat. Also nv see other parents do that. Even if they play most of time, u only heard kids shouting with excitement.

Ts story very cool story or think too much.

Sent from Toilet While Making Cake. using GAGT
simon_84 likes this.

Last edited by networked; 08-11-2020 at 01:30 PM..
networked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 04:46 PM   #15

Nothing racist, maybe your child really looks like the classmate?

But for you to point out their race...I thought that’s unnecessary. You could have just NOT mention their race.
simon_84 likes this.
teambbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.