HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Child Care - Private or Govt

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-08-2019, 09:48 AM   #31

sparkletots or myfirstskool ok la... toddler - nursery juz let them b themselves... play n learn something.

Important for me is near my place. I can send n fetch them wo travelling too far off.

Sent from BOT using GAGT
Totally agreed
mickey88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 01:04 PM   #32

anyone sent their kids to eton? have a friend who sent both kids costing $4k a month!

heard from a few parents that the normal rates for private about $1k+!

did not know childcare prices so expensive!!
Old 14-08-2019, 05:35 PM   #33
Arch-Supremacy Member

Eton is $4k/mth for 1 child? Thought it was around $2-2.5k.
Old 14-08-2019, 05:45 PM   #34

anyone sent their kids to eton? have a friend who sent both kids costing $4k a month!

heard from a few parents that the normal rates for private about $1k+!

did not know childcare prices so expensive!!
Wan atas childcare hv to suck it
mickey88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 02:51 PM   #35

both kids for 4k
Old 15-08-2019, 02:56 PM   #36

Government one la. Make full use of government resources. Some more they are accountable to us. They know that if they not good, people will vote against them. So, quality is assured, while price is reasonable.
Lee Jia Xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 06:59 AM   #37
High Supremacy Member

Choose near home, incase kid sick can bring home easily
Old 17-08-2019, 12:27 PM   #38

Also picked ours based on proximity. Book a tour/viewing appointment and see if you like the place before deciding
b3rkowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:12 AM   #39

Most govt preschools like sparkletots are heavily subsidised hence the price gap between private & international preschools. I used to work in "atas" preschools with fees ranging between $1.2k - $3k monthly.

I would say, weigh out the pros and cons and what you would prioritise. Do not neglect the teaching methods and learning environment which plays a huge part in your child's development. You may research more on reggio emilia approach or high-scope approach, which I as an educator highly support it, though not applied in local primary schools. I believe lifelong learning starts from preschool where good examples heavily influence your child's life. Like the saying goes, "Old habits die hard".

Anyway, very soon all kindergarteners will be under MOE Kindergartens, meaning teaching approach will be more or less the same throughout. Sad case.

how do you all chose which childcare to go to ?

i have sparkletots downstairs i think is about 500 ?

the private ones are all 1-1.2k, very big difference.

but i really dont know what the difference is. in terms of teaching ? teacher to student ratio ? facilities ?
givemefood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:24 AM   #40

Oh and one most important factor is that the teacher itself should be competent.

There are many who seem like they get the hang of it and are ready to fight through the day but in actual fact, behind closed doors is another story altogether. Incompetent teacher brings out the lack of spirit in the class, much less her teachings, which boils down to just wasting their resources and neglecting their environment.

To decide whether one is competent is completely up to you to decipher. Having a beautifully decorated classroom does little to convince me as someone experienced to portray their working attitude towards children. Consistent parent-teacher communication is key.
givemefood is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.