Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Food portion size for toddler?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Sharonyap2505
  • 1 Post By sigeena

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-10-2020, 08:30 PM   #1

Food portion size for toddler?

How much do you feed your toddler? Would appreciate photo of food portion & your kid's age. Tried to google for advice but all I see in Google images is western food, no rice/noodle kind of portion.

I don't know is it my kid eating too slow or is it my food portion too much that why eat until 1.5hr still haven't finish yet.
sirnefleur13 likes this.
Sharonyap2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 11:05 PM   #2

Sorry no pics but yes itís very normal for my kid to take ages to eat. Most often just reject the food
Peasantboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 12:26 AM   #3

Lots of variables.
Are they feeding themselves?
Are they distracted by TV, or tablet?
Are they trying something new?
How old are they?
Did they snack too close to meal time?
Maybe reward with snack if they finish food promptly.

It gets better as they get bigger.
sirnefleur13 likes this.
sigeena is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 03:06 PM   #4

I tried lots of different ways. There are times when I let my kid eat without distractions, but if he gets fidgety and wants to get off his chair / turn his head away when I feed him, then I put some toys or sometimes let him watch videos on my phone to just get him to sit still.

But the problem is actually he takes very long to swallow one spoonful of food. He can keep his food in his mouth and I would tell him "swallow your food/bite your food/don't keep your food in your mouth" x10 or 20 times for every spoon I feed him.

Don't know if it's common for children to eat this slowly...
Sharonyap2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 05:42 PM   #5

I tried lots of different ways. There are times when I let my kid eat without distractions, but if he gets fidgety and wants to get off his chair / turn his head away when I feed him, then I put some toys or sometimes let him watch videos on my phone to just get him to sit still.

But the problem is actually he takes very long to swallow one spoonful of food. He can keep his food in his mouth and I would tell him "swallow your food/bite your food/don't keep your food in your mouth" x10 or 20 times for every spoon I feed him.

Don't know if it's common for children to eat this slowly...
It'll get better. Used to have this problem as well. After awhile I told my child that if he doesn't complete his meal within a certain time, no snacks and no play time later.

This way, less frustration for parents. Also teach him reward for good behavioir

As he gets bigger, he treasure his snacks and playtime, so he'll eat more promptly.
sigeena is online now   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.