HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Help! Newborn spits out/vomits/regurgitation

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2020, 09:19 PM   #1

Help! Newborn spits out/vomits/regurgitation

Im a new parent.

My newborn boy is into his 3rd week and since this Monday Im noticing he fusses easily or spits out/vomits milk from being just fed until the next feeding. Its like drinking 80ml and spitting 20~30ml in total i.e. drinking only 50~60ml effectively?

Prior to that 1st and 2nd week he sleeps easily if he isnt hungry or doesnt need daiper change. Now he just cries for dunno what reason and he does vomit more often. Worried about hydration too, high chance he will be constipated from all the losses from spits/vomits. He is starting to have harder stool than usual.

Could be colicky I understand but Im worried about the spits?

Need advise! thanks!

By the way he is formula fed (Nan1/Nan1 HA).
Brownpolar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:10 PM   #2
Supremacy Member

If he's colicky he wont just be vomiting, he'll also be crying his head off. It'll be different from normal crying, he will be inconsolable.
There's a few possible reasons:
1) not burped properly.
2) reflux
3) just regular young baby stuff. He can't hold his milk down because his throat is still undeveloped

For 1 and 2, the easy solution is to keep him upright or as close to upright as possible. If you are carrying him, keep him 45 degrees or higher. This should reduce his reflux and will help him feel better. Sometimes baby will also need to burp 2 or 3 times.
Reflux is natural for babies and will go off in time once he starts taking solids. As long as he's sleeping and gaining weight, then your baby is fine.

Harder stools is just a normal byproduct of drinking formula. Formula tends to be high in iron therefore causing harder stools/constipation. Babies under 6 months should not drink any water or risk water poisoning.
Brownpolar likes this.
indeterminate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:53 PM   #3

If cry for duno what reason..can try to burp more than once..or apply ru yi oil on the tummy.Make sure the milk bottle teat is from the correct age group.
Brownpolar likes this.
Sodomicha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 12:05 AM   #4

If he's colicky he wont just be vomiting, he'll also be crying his head off. It'll be different from normal crying, he will be inconsolable.
There's a few possible reasons:
1) not burped properly.
2) reflux
3) just regular young baby stuff. He can't hold his milk down because his throat is still undeveloped

For 1 and 2, the easy solution is to keep him upright or as close to upright as possible. If you are carrying him, keep him 45 degrees or higher. This should reduce his reflux and will help him feel better. Sometimes baby will also need to burp 2 or 3 times.
Reflux is natural for babies and will go off in time once he starts taking solids. As long as he's sleeping and gaining weight, then your baby is fine.

Harder stools is just a normal byproduct of drinking formula. Formula tends to be high in iron therefore causing harder stools/constipation. Babies under 6 months should not drink any water or risk water poisoning.
Thank you for the reassuring advice.

My boy had hard stools, he cries until his face is flushed red after more than 38 hours of constipation. I visited the pediatrician for advise. Used a gel (Minica S) to soften his feces.

The Dr. mentioned lack of milk could reason for the dehydration and constipation. I used to throw whatever's left that he couldn't finish.
I also read online and realized I did wrong by packing scoops of powder (more dense that is).

From there on I do not pack the levelled scoops and lowered just a tiny bit on the powder to water ratio; his bowel movement improved (wet).

Now with these puking Im concern with dehydration. He has not pooped for 24 hours and when he finally did the poop start to look hard again.
Should I not add just a little more water in the milk to compensate the puking?
Old 06-03-2020, 12:06 AM   #5

If cry for duno what reason..can try to burp more than once..or apply ru yi oil on the tummy.Make sure the milk bottle teat is from the correct age group.
How often would be application of ru yi oil be recommended? I do, after bathing and before sleep.

The teat is denoted "1" and this means it is the tightest.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:15 AM   #6

if gt hard stools..can use a baby wet wipe then try to massage the anus part to see whether there is any hard stool stuck there..if there is then gently massage to dig it out with the wet wipe.

Any time of the day or in the middle of night when baby cry for no reason also can apply the ru yi oil when burping doesnít work.

How often would be application of ru yi oil be recommended? I do, after bathing and before sleep.

Sodomicha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 12:18 AM   #7

if gt hard stools..can use a baby wet wipe then try to massage the anus part to see whether there is any hard stool stuck there..if there is then gently massage to dig it out with the wet wipe.

Any time of the day or in the middle of night when baby cry for no reason also can apply the ru yi oil when burping doesnít work.
Always have this conception of cannot use ru yi oil too much. So it is ok to use as and when need to?
Old 06-03-2020, 04:34 AM   #8
Banned

Npnt. Is newborn cute?
towkayray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 01:07 PM   #9

Npnt. Is newborn cute?
Ok.

Sent from Samsung SM-N960F using GAGT
Old 06-03-2020, 02:08 PM   #10
Great Supremacy Member

Im a new parent.

My newborn boy is into his 3rd week and since this Monday Im noticing he fusses easily or spits out/vomits milk from being just fed until the next feeding. Its like drinking 80ml and spitting 20~30ml in total i.e. drinking only 50~60ml effectively?

Prior to that 1st and 2nd week he sleeps easily if he isnt hungry or doesnt need daiper change. Now he just cries for dunno what reason and he does vomit more often. Worried about hydration too, high chance he will be constipated from all the losses from spits/vomits. He is starting to have harder stool than usual.

Need advise! thanks!

is your son your crown prince? must bring to see dr leh
happened to my crown prince too,he ended up emergency operation at 10mth old for Meckel's diverticulum
Brownpolar likes this.
Old 06-03-2020, 02:43 PM   #11

Young babies are like that. Stomach sensitive. But better to see a doc
Brownpolar likes this.
RandomPlankton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 04:48 PM   #12

Always have this conception of cannot use ru yi oil too much. So it is ok to use as and when need to?
i always use it after bath. it is perfectly fine to use daily. also, when making milk, there is no strict rule that it must be exactly 30ml/50ml to 1 flat scoop of powder. Everytime i give 5-10ml more water (total). Some PD thinks milk powder is heaty
Brownpolar likes this.
Arcanell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:56 PM   #13
Supremacy Member

Remember when apply ruyi oil, baby skin must be dry. So most people will apply 15-30mins after u bathe.

Baby age need that smallest teat. U should change only when baby suck very hard or have difficulty.
Brownpolar likes this.
chehjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:04 PM   #14
Supremacy Member

I think ur baby maybe has a lot of air in his tummy. So he is fussy. Try giving him gripe water. Another way is bring him go tcm massage. If got a lot of wind, as they massage baby will burp or fart. Quite immediate.

Regarding dehydration, donít go based on ur gut feeling. Look for the signs. Check lips, eyes area. Etc. doctor never teach u how to monitor meh? When u go for jab at 1 month mark. Ask the doctor.

For ur milk. Just do as per normal. Donít try so many funny thing la. Baby by instinct will drink until full. Puke out just means interval between feeding will be shorter until baby learn to hold it in. Unless u force feed. Signs of force feed will be milk exit via nose. Please donít.

Also different brand of milk might have different outcome. Worth to consider trying other brands. Or even goat milk. Which will be more gentle on the stomach.
Brownpolar likes this.
chehjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 01:15 AM   #15
Arch-Supremacy Member

Im a new parent.

Need advise! thanks!

if he is newborn, is the mother not producing any breastmilk at all? Like have you try breast pump? it can be that you never burp him properly or that brand of formula doesn't fit your baby well? Baby do spit milk from time to time but harder stool is a concern.

I dunno if you are comfortable to buy or get breastmilk of other lactating mothers - but breastmilk normally produce a more watery stool as compare to pasty stool for from formula. So that will reduce chance of constipation.
Brownpolar likes this.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.