HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Primary school education

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-05-2018, 08:53 PM   #16
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi guys, my son is going primary one next year.
Understand now there’s no streaming in p4. They change it to standard and foundation subjects.

Anyone of u send your child to tuition? Is it too early to start tuition at p1?
How’s the primary school curriculum nowadays? Is it many homework and stressful kind?

And also, you guys send your child to student care? Is it better for them to go student care than come home and watch tv etc?
Apply self teaching at home.
mccmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 11:56 PM   #17

P1 - P5 no need for tuition unless the kid really cannot cope. But usually if one pays attention in class, and at least one parent to supervise daily revision & hmwk at home, breezing through Psle shouldn’t be a problem. No amount of tuition is gonna help if a child is left to his own devices with little or no supervision, allowed to play computer or mobile phone games and watch tv all day without any time limit, with little or no interest in his studies at all.
e905433k likes this.
Dream catcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:36 PM   #18
Supremacy Member

My son so far in p1 this year Chinese is just border pass, english about 60% and maths about 65%.
Like this need go tuition anot?
bendi85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 04:35 PM   #19
Arch-Supremacy Member

My son so far in p1 this year Chinese is just border pass, english about 60% and maths about 65%.
I think better go....P1 should be scoring 85 and above...when I was P1, I had 98-100 marks...
mummy1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 01:42 AM   #20

Thought p1 nowadays no exams ? Once a child gets too reliant on tuition , difficult to reverse , of cos if you have deep pockets , no issue . Tuition gets more and more ex as they go on to upper pri & sec & jc level ... imho , PSLE , O lvl & A lvl years are the stressful years I’d invest heavily on tuition for kids.

Old 18-09-2018, 09:42 AM   #21
Supremacy Member

Hi guys, my son is going primary one next year.
Understand now there’s no streaming in p4. They change it to standard and foundation subjects.

Anyone of u send your child to tuition? Is it too early to start tuition at p1?
How’s the primary school curriculum nowadays? Is it many homework and stressful kind?

And also, you guys send your child to student care? Is it better for them to go student care than come home and watch tv etc?
Still got...but subtlety...unannounced....weaker students are grouped in 1 class so as not to hinder the progress of stronger students thus each can ptogress at their respective pace....
Asd787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 02:34 PM   #22
Master Member

Still got...but subtlety...unannounced....weaker students are grouped in 1 class so as not to hinder the progress of stronger students thus each can ptogress at their respective pace....
Yes thr is still a subtle streaming process.... Worse still, some schools push students to take standard subjects though their basics are very weak....

Sometimes i wonder, is it the right age to stream them and subject them to such intense pressure ?
jeffrey745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 06:39 PM   #23

Kills the joy of learning ... sigh! Poor kids ... and the new PSLE 2021 new grading system not helping.

Yes thr is still a subtle streaming process.... Worse still, some schools push students to take standard subjects though their basics are very weak....

Sometimes i wonder, is it the right age to stream them and subject them to such intense pressure ?
Old 20-09-2018, 08:57 AM   #24

Yes - I’m English teacher in SG. Have to say the PSLE is extremely difficult for bilingual children
Old 02-10-2018, 05:20 PM   #25

Despite being in the tuition industry, I completely agree that students are under too much pressure in Singapore. I don't really think its right for students to be placed in a be-all and end-all high stakes education.

At primary 6, it's not right to say all students have developed and are ready to tackle PSLE. Some students do better in secondary school/ poly but if they do badly for PSLE, poly may not even be a choice they get to make in the future.
smiletutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:02 AM   #26

Dear all,

Please kindly advise and recommend good experience English mentor/tuition teacher for primary school children.

I am exploring and searching for an effective learning for two primary school children.

Confidence for the future...
Thank you.
Yowe55 mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:02 AM   #27

I took my kids to Jan&Elly - they are phonics based for young ones and then they do class for P1 to P6 to practice for PSLE
Old 16-11-2018, 10:17 AM   #28

Can anybody recommend good cram school for English? 4 years old only
Old 14-12-2018, 10:40 PM   #29

Same issue this is so common nowadays

Yeah Chinese is also my son worst subject I can predict. He doesn’t like to speak to us in Chinese even!
GummyQQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.