Primary school education

bendi85

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, my son is going primary one next year.
Understand now there’s no streaming in p4. They change it to standard and foundation subjects.

Anyone of u send your child to tuition? Is it too early to start tuition at p1?
How’s the primary school curriculum nowadays? Is it many homework and stressful kind?

And also, you guys send your child to student care? Is it better for them to go student care than come home and watch tv etc?

Peony牡丹

Reaction score
I feel that it's too early to start tuition in CC. Encourage your kid to pay attention in class n complete his work nicely should be sufficient.

Homework n curriculum can depends on sch. My girl's sch totally no homework no exam in P1. Then start gently in P2, when P3 the homework comes more regularly but. It overwhelming.

Studentcare wise, depends on how disciplined your kid is or if there is anyone at home to help discipline the kid in terms of sch work.

My kid didn't start studentcare but she need a lot of reminders n myself to communicate with her Teachers so she complete her homework on time.

She is starting tuition for next year P4 Chinese though coz that is her only weak subject so far n she flunk it this year.

bendi85

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Peony牡丹;112032039 said:
I feel that it's too early to start tuition in CC. Encourage your kid to pay attention in class n complete his work nicely should be sufficient.

Homework n curriculum can depends on sch. My girl's sch totally no homework no exam in P1. Then start gently in P2, when P3 the homework comes more regularly but. It overwhelming.

Studentcare wise, depends on how disciplined your kid is or if there is anyone at home to help discipline the kid in terms of sch work.

My kid didn't start studentcare but she need a lot of reminders n myself to communicate with her Teachers so she complete her homework on time.

She is starting tuition for next year P4 Chinese though coz that is her only weak subject so far n she flunk it this year.

Yeah Chinese is also my son worst subject I can predict. He doesn’t like to speak to us in Chinese even!

dgeralds

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mother Tongue is a killer. ....don't know what to do when can't speak and the kid refuse to learn the language.

I think in Singapore, mother tongue will pull the kid down even if they are outstanding in other subjects..

Yeah Chinese is also my son worst subject I can predict. He doesn’t like to speak to us in Chinese even!

bendi85

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mother Tongue is a killer. ....don't know what to do when can't speak and the kid refuse to learn the language.

I think in Singapore, mother tongue will pull the kid down even if they are outstanding in other subjects..

But the weightage for mother tongue is not as high as maths/science right?
As in to go jc route in future, maths/ science plays a more impt part than mother tongue?

meinteel

Reaction score
As in to go jc route in future, maths/ science plays a more impt part than mother tongue?

In order to go JC, your child needs to get less than 20 points for L1R5.

Language 1: English
Relevant 5: 1 Humanities, 1 Mathematics, 1 Humanities/Maths/Science + 2 other best subjects.

If your child score 65% for all 6 subjects, they will get 18 points - qualifying a couple of neighbour JCs. However, it is also essential to take note that if your child must score a minimum of D7 for Chinese OR Merit/Pass for Chinese Language Syllabus B.

Failure to do so will be disqualified for admission to JC even if your child scores full marks for all the above 6 subjects (6 points). Similarly, there is a minimum requirement for Chinese even at GCE A Levels to qualify for applying to local universities.

Don't need to be a distinction but best not to fail.

Peony牡丹

Reaction score

I think it's good to start influencing him? I believe bilingualism is always great n better than only able to master a single language.

The weightage of MT is not heavy in our education system but it has high economical value in future and also because our roots as Chinese. Just a personal view from my family.

Jasmine11

Reaction score
Understand now there’s no streaming in p4. They change it to standard and foundation subjects.

How’s the primary school curriculum nowadays? Is it many homework and stressful kind?

And also, you guys send your child to student care? Is it better for them to go student care than come home and watch tv etc?

I used to teach my little sister from primary 1 until 3 le. the only tuition she has was Chinese other than that I teach her. Not so hard la very easy to teach, maybe around primary 4 then get tuition bah, to prepare for PSLE

Hui3005

Reaction score
If you intend to send to Yishun famous primary school better to start your kid maths tuition when K1

fired0ll

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My eldest girl will be attending primary school next year.. Hmmmm sent her to a weekly 1.5hours prep class for p1 which involved math and English..not sure if this is considered as tuition

Reaction score
All my kids started enrichment classes for various things even at 4yrs old. At different stages need to train their brain differently.

School work is simple easy. Tuition is give extra boost to top the class. We spent $3000/mth on 3 kids tuition

mummy1234

Banned
Reaction score
Need to prepare for P1 hanyu pinyin. We find Berries quite effective compared to home tuition even with moe teachers generally speaking from our experience.

Last edited:

Dream catcher

Reaction score
Seriously?!! $1K tuition for 4 yr old kid ?

Wow! So with $3K/mth tuition all your kids are top of their class?

All my kids started enrichment classes for various things even at 4yrs old. At different stages need to train their brain differently.

School work is simple easy. Tuition is give extra boost to top the class. We spent $3000/mth on 3 kids tuition

Reaction score
Seriously?!! $1K tuition for 4 yr old kid ?

Wow! So with $3K/mth tuition all your kids are top of their class?

the 6 yr old polar prince<$1k to train his english
polar princess dancing/painting/piano/english/chinese >$1k
polar crown prince english/chinese >$1.5k and i go home train his maths and science......he just completed RSO 2018 now waiting for result. next month going to national maths and science olympiad. for P5 SA1 he is not top class yet but training him to rise up steadily.:)

Reaction score

you can see it that way........but my good friend in JC studied ARTS class,his english is superb,compo 1 big tick 19.5/20 almost all the time,his chinese and maths almost failed. guess what! he's a lawyer professor now!:s13::s13:

mccmmm

Banned
Reaction score

Apply self teaching at home.

Dream catcher

Reaction score
P1 - P5 no need for tuition unless the kid really cannot cope. But usually if one pays attention in class, and at least one parent to supervise daily revision & hmwk at home, breezing through Psle shouldn’t be a problem. No amount of tuition is gonna help if a child is left to his own devices with little or no supervision, allowed to play computer or mobile phone games and watch tv all day without any time limit, with little or no interest in his studies at all.

bendi85

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My son so far in p1 this year Chinese is just border pass, english about 60% and maths about 65%.
Like this need go tuition anot?

mummy1234

Banned
Reaction score
My son so far in p1 this year Chinese is just border pass, english about 60% and maths about 65%.

I think better go....P1 should be scoring 85 and above...when I was P1, I had 98-100 marks...

Dream catcher

Reaction score
Thought p1 nowadays no exams ? Once a child gets too reliant on tuition , difficult to reverse , of cos if you have deep pockets , no issue . Tuition gets more and more ex as they go on to upper pri & sec & jc level ... imho , PSLE , O lvl & A lvl years are the stressful years I’d invest heavily on tuition for kids.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.