Enthusiast-Level ITX PC Build - FT03 Mini

blur_pig

Reaction score
Being a occasional lurker on the tech forums for the longest time, I decided to document down my new build to give something back to the tech community. This isn't much as compared to the hardcore-level builds but hopefully this contributes some useful information for enthusiast level peeps who are in the midst of research for their next build.

I am in no way a expert in PC building but just a mere wannabe geek head who only visits the tech forums whenever I change my rig - so not everything that is written by me here would be 100% true or accurate, you would actually see how contradictory some of the statements are below. Do feel free to point out my mistakes or give me some pointers (without spending anymore $$$ of course) to make it a better rig, or things I would had done it better (e.g. cheaper source to buy from)

I will be using this entry to track my expenditure as well as this is my first time building what tom's hardware would called it as an enthusiast level ITX build. Always been a budget weenie but somehow I became a little bit poisoned this time round...

Last edited:

blur_pig

Reaction score
Casing

SilverStone FT03-MINI
- interesting design
- small surface area

DSC_0131.jpg

box

DSC_0143.jpg

unbox

DSC_0144.jpg

Stripped off the panels - solid quality!

DSC_0147.jpg

Air filter mesh removed - 140mm Air Perpetrator fan to push air in from below

Amazon with free shipping - USD 129.50 (~SGD 168)

Comes with a 140mm Air Perpetrator fan. Judging from the feedback I read from forums I was concerned with the noise output with this fan, so I got myself this -

Noctua 140mm NF-A14 PWM Fan

DSC_0145.jpg

i better admit first I'm a Noctua fanboy

DSC_0146.jpg

I think the packaging itself cost more than the cost of the fan -.-

Proceed to swap out the air perpetrator with the NF-A14 ..

DSC_0148.jpg

nice contrast

DSC_0149.jpg

Since I had spent so much on the casing, I didn't want noise to bother me. Additionally now with my CO sharing the bedroom, I need the PC to be as quiet as possible so I can do some secret gaming while she is snoring away.. ...what wondering reasoning I gave myself.

Amazon - USD 24.99 free shipping (~SGD 32.50)

Last edited:

blur_pig

Reaction score
Motherboard / CPU / RAM

Gigabyte H87N-WIFI
Intel i3-4130
Kingston 2x4GB CL 11 PC3-1600Mhz

- cheap and i hope good
- built in WIFI with antenna, even though I'm using a homeplug now -.- (reason I gave myself: just want to foolproof it just in case)
- no OC for me (I'm just an enthusiast remember?)

DSC_0132.jpg

Mobo box

DSC_0134.jpg

CPU box

DSC_0135.jpg

Mobo fitted with CPU

Tradepac - SGD 323 Mobo+CPU
Tradepac - SGD 96 RAM

Since space is a luxury in this build, any space I could squeeze out would help in maximizing airflow within the casing......so I have to do something to the stock CPU cooler.

I had it replaced..

Noctua Low Profile CPU Cooler NH-L9I

DSC_0136.jpg

box

DSC_0137.jpg

unbox

DSC_0138.jpg

Comparison with the stock cooler

DSC_0139.jpg

*inserts convincing tone* See how much space I saved.....

DSC_0141.jpg

and there it goes on the motherboard

Amazon free shipping - USD 45.50 (~ SGD 59)

Last edited:

blur_pig

Reaction score
Build is not fully assembled yet as I am still waiting for one more mystery item to arrive (and a very controversial one to say the least) before the puzzle is complete...

Stay tune for more updates!

Last edited:

blur_pig

Reaction score
Am I sua-ku or what - Didnt know DHL delivers on Sunday..

my final piece of the puzzle is here!!

puzzle.jpg

woot woo weet to DHL

blur_pig

Reaction score
Unveiling the controversial item - its a 300W PSU!

PSU

Silverstone SFX 300W ST30SF

- Semi-fanless (Fanless mode deactivates upon PSU temperature breaches 55 degrees C)
- 80 Plus Bronze

DSC_0154.jpg

DSC_0155.jpg

300W is going to testing the limits of this PSU, as I have a GPU lined up for this build. First time going into unchartered waters as the product has only been recently released.....hope my new comp don't explode when I play BF4..

Amazon - USD 49.99 (~ SGD 65)

joshuatwh

Reaction score
Hi there!

I'm a fellow enthusiast, and I've been following your build up to recently. May I know how the PC is doing now? Also, since you mentioned about playing BF4, but didn't post about your graphics card, are you currently using a GPU, or are you planning to get one?

blur_pig

Reaction score
Hi there!

I'm a fellow enthusiast, and I've been following your build up to recently. May I know how the PC is doing now? Also, since you mentioned about playing BF4, but didn't post about your graphics card, are you currently using a GPU, or are you planning to get one?

Hi, apologies for going MIA...I kind of got side-lined after installing BF4 =P

I'm using a GTX 660, playing with high settings at 1080 resolution. Good enough for me. I will try to revive this thread over the weekend...

joshuatwh

Reaction score
no prob no prob. Nice, did you get your gtx 660 from tradepac too? By the way, I'm wondering why you decided to buy from amazon and wait for the shipment? Were they still cheaper than sls prices after conversion? From what I understand, amazon's currency conversion rates are prettttty skewed..

FanFreak

Reaction score
Same here will be building a gaming itx soon.
the build as follows:

Casing SG05 white - local distributor not selling this, getting from newegg
MB Asus z87i-pro - getting from tradepac
CPU 4670K - from tradepac, then asking spyboy in blue forum to delid
RAM Avexir 2133Mhz 2X8GB, luckily got it at a very low price from a blue forummer
PSU ST450SF-G
AIO Liquid Silverstone TD02, mounting outside the case with some mod on the casing
GPU waiting for the custom cool R290 and can fit inside sg05
SDD intel 530 from amazon BF
HDD mounting 3 X 3.5"+1X 2.5" 2TB HDD
ODD got a slim sony drive from a blue forummer

Challenge now is getting the time to get the parts, making the mod and especially cable management.
Any feedback and comment is much appreciated.

joshuatwh

Reaction score
oooh nice. whats your estimated total damage from that? I'd love to give some feedback, but being pretty new to the diy scene myself, I doubt it'd be of much use now. Only thing is will you be getting any additional fans for the rig? If so, which brands will you be using?

Also, is there any reason why Ram's prices have shot through the roof recently? I remember buying 2c4gb for 54 bucks previously..

FanFreak

Reaction score
Casing SG05 white - estimate $50
MB Asus z87i-pro -
CPU 4670K - bundle currently at $540
RAM Avexir 2133Mhz 2X8GB, got it at $150
PSU ST450SF-G, $120
AIO Liquid Silverstone TD02, $185
GPU waiting for the custom cool R290 and can fit inside sg05, waiting for price release
SDD intel 530 $190
HDD mounting 3 X 3.5"+1X 2.5" 2TB HDD 3X$120+$234=594
ODD $40

total estimate damage $1869

the casing come with a fan, AIO come with 2 fans, I have a 70mm fan salvage from old parts. mounting at top as exhaust

blur_pig

Reaction score
no prob no prob. Nice, did you get your gtx 660 from tradepac too? By the way, I'm wondering why you decided to buy from amazon and wait for the shipment? Were they still cheaper than sls prices after conversion? From what I understand, amazon's currency conversion rates are prettttty skewed..

hi Joshua, i got it from amazon - I spent weeks planning my build so I was able to compose myself to order from amazon instead of buying on impulse from SLS. The wait isn't very long - usually less than 3 weeks.

I have completed the write up on my FT03 mini build on my blog instead -

my blog

joshuatwh

Reaction score
hi Joshua, i got it from amazon - I spent weeks planning my build so I was able to compose myself to order from amazon instead of buying on impulse from SLS. The wait isn't very long - usually less than 3 weeks.

I have completed the write up on my FT03 mini build on my blog instead -

my blog

Hi blurpig, thanks for replying :) Were the parts cheaper than buying from sls? Cos from what I see currently, prices on amazon are still more expensive :/

blur_pig

Reaction score
at that point of time, im pretty sure the the EVGA GTX 660 was cheaper on amazon than SLS but it is hard to do a apple to apple comparison as EVGA cards aren't that popular in SLS.... The SFX PSU wasn't available in Singapore so I had to get it off amazon.

SSD and the peripherals are without a doubt cheaper online.

I got an additional 6% rebate for my amazon purchases by using the OCBC Frank credit card...

koroshiya8

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks for sharing.. i'm also thinking of building either ITX or mini-ITX for my Primary One kid as i heard nowadays they use computer a lot and yet i dont want him to hog my own gaming PC :D ...

FanFreak

Reaction score
You can fit 3 3.5" HDD + 1 ODD in the SG-05 case? I'm impressed...

just to share.
after 1 day of cable management
Build
Casing - SG05 white
MB - Asus z87i-pro
cpu - 4670K delidded by spyboy
water AIO - silverstone TD02
Ram - Avexir 2133Mhz 2X8Gb blue
psu - silverstone sfx450W gold
storage
intel SSD530
WD green 2TB 2.5inch
Hitach 2K7000 2TB 3.5inch X3
Sony slim ODD

comment if any

IMG_33792.JPG

IMG_3383.JPG

IMG_33843.JPG

next stop, squeezing a powercolor r9 290 PCS+ modded with NZXT Kraken G10 and Thermaltake extreme water2.0 into this box

FanFreak

Reaction score
This is even worse.
With the graphics card, it take very small and nimble hand to do cable management.
after 2 days of frustration.

IMG_3841.JPG

IMG_3847.JPG

IMG_38251.JPG

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.