Project: PrometheusCU

GegeV2

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey langer, been following up on ur project log over at XS forums...

Good luck!

Langer

Reaction score
Parts update for the masses:
I recieved a package of watercooling supplies today.

First up - a D-Tek Fuzion rev 2 with quad core nozel insert (insert not installed in below images).
prometheus-cpuwaterblock1.jpg

prometheus-cpuwaterblock2.jpg

FeserOne Orange non-conductive coolant, I'd have preferred black but since I'll be using black tubing and no reservoir I don't see the difference... and neither will anyone else, hehehe.
prometheus-coolant1.jpg

20x Bitspower Hig Flow 1/2 barbs - dark nickel plated edition.
prometheus-fittings1.jpg

Here you can see the difference between the Bitspower fittings and the stock DangerDen and D-Tek ones.
prometheus-fittings2.jpg

A Black DangerDen Fillport
prometheus-fillpoort.jpg

Last but most certainly not least... 15' of Opaque Black Primochill Primoflex 1/2ID tubing.
prometheus-tubing1.jpg

I was quite surprised by the width of the wall, I guess I don't have to worry about puncture leaks... too much.
prometheus-tubing2.jpg

That's all for now folks, tune in soon!

Langer

Reaction score
Yet another update for you all, I got a package in the mail form eVGA today. My -free- upgrade from the 9800GTX cards.
prometheus-gfx1.jpg

prometheus-gfx2.jpg

prometheus-gfx3.jpg

Langer

Reaction score
Clearly nothing is sacred:

Naked GTX280's, and I must say that I have a new appreciation for nVidia engineering... the heatsink on these babies was nothing short of a work of art - engineering at it's best. And a bloody pain to remove.
prometheus-gfx6.jpg

prometheus-gfx7.jpg

prometheus-gfx8.jpg

Langer

Reaction score
A small teaser for you all. I took delivery of my secret weapon today:
:naughty:
carbon.jpg

Don't bother asking where, some of, this will be used... that's a surprise.

Langer

Reaction score
A small, bummer, update:
UPS just delivered my Acrylic Copper Colour 2-way Mirror... but I'm totally pissed! The colour is all wrong. It's more of a 'burnt copper' instead of the 'red copper' colour I'm using. I may still find a use for it, but it's 'mystery purpose' will likely be replaced with carbon fiber pieces. (You can't see though the acrylic here because I've not yet removed it's protective backing).
prometheus-acrylicmirror1.jpg

prometheus-acrylicmirror2.jpg

Langer

Reaction score
Some great news.

A User by the name of xtreme0915 over at the nVidia SLi-Zone forums has volunteered to donate his old Aquagate Viva Duo Watercooling kit for the benefit or Prometheus. With this comes a cemented decision to watercool the Pico-ITX unit in addition to the main system. I'll be purchasing a 40.2 radiator, and using the Aquagate's waterblock/pump to cool the Pico board.

Another big thanks shout-out goes out to xtreme0915!

Langer

Reaction score
In anticipation of this new generous, unprovoked, donation. I've started making the necessary modifications to the Pico-ITX heatsink.
Modifications that will allow me to mount the waterblock/pump from the Aquagave Viva unit to the Pico-ITX board.

This is Part-1 and it is still unacceptably rough. when its finished the edges will be square and it'll sport a mirror shine.

Here is what I started with - A board that doesn't even need cooling at all - hahaha. Which bring me to my new mantra: Overkill all the way.
stockvia.jpg

Then after a couple hours of Dremel grinding followed by hand filing I came up with this:
prometheus-picowc1.jpg

Bottom:
prometheus-picowc3.jpg

Here you can see the amount of material that needed to be removed, because Via had a recessed spot in the middle of the three screw holes where the fan sat. So I had to bring down the whole surface to be flush.
prometheus-picowc2.jpg

Langer

Reaction score
Another small update for you all.

I just picked up a dozen BlinkM I2C contolled RGB LEDs - "BlinkM uses a high quality, high power RGB LED and a small AVR microcontroller to allow a user to digitally control an RGB LED over a simple I2C interface"
tm_blinkm_closeup_obliq_sma.jpg

100 white 3mm LEDs, 100 resistors and 100 Chrome Holders to be copper plated.
LED_5mm_Mount_Holder_001.jpg

and with these comes a USB Arduino Control Board that will allow me to write a control program for the lighting inside the case. I'll have the RGB LEDs change from white>blue>green>yellow>orange>red depending on the water temperature. The other 100 white LEDs will slowly/randomly fade in and out (Mac style) when they are on.
ArduinoUSBBoard-01-L.jpg

Also a dozen fiendishly overpriced Countersink Allen Screws made of copper:
A612PC0_49638.gif

More coming soon - Thanks for reading.

Langer

Reaction score
A small overdue update for you all.

Unfortunately my hands are still very much tied, due to many delays (mostly shipping), so progress has been minimal.

I have complete a number of little things this week however:
1- I have completed the lighting design.
2- I've modified and uploaded my verison of pfSense to my Alix board, so it's working nicely now.
3- I think I've completed my arduino lighting software, but I haven't yet got my arduino controller delivered so I don't know if it works as planned just yet.
4- I began designing my front end software that will control my watercooling and run on the from 7" touch screen.
5- I've also ordered a new keyboard, I love my apple slim keyboard but I was unable to find black key replacements for it so I've ordered the bluetooth version.
It looks to me that the new macbooks and the slim bluetooth keyboard use the same keys at least I hope so because new replacement keys were about $2.50 a piece, so I ordered a complete set of black keys for the keyboard. I'll then make new copper housing for it to replace the stock apple aluminum. In theory this should make for a very sexy black/copper keyboard.
prometheus-keylayout01.jpg

prometheus-keylayout02.jpg

Some of the items that have arrived in the mail since my last posting:
Some of my lighting accessories:
prometheus-lighting01.jpg

The 3mm LED housings that I will paint to look Copper Plated:
prometheus-lighting02.jpg

White 3mm LEDs:
prometheus-lighting03.jpg

Resistors that will let me run the LEDs from a 12volt source:
prometheus-lighting04.jpg

And an assembly overview of what the LED holders look like:
prometheus-lighting05.jpg

I also got my Laptop WIFI antennas, I will be using 2x antennas for each of the antenna outputs on the WiFi card.
prometheus-antenna.jpg

Langer

Reaction score
Lastly, my 40.2mm radiator has arrived, so once the aquagate gets here I'll be able to assemble my Pico-ITX watercooling system.
This thing is so bloody tiny, sorry for the bad picture, but keep in mind it's only 40mm wide... too cool.
prometheus-40mmradiator.jpg

I used the mill and a frighteningly precarious claming technique to mill down the Pico's heat sink further
prometheus-picowc3-1.jpg

prometheus-picowc2-1.jpg

I decided to take some pics of my workshop, it's very dirty and the equipment is tired, but it all does the job well enough:
prometheus-lathe01.jpg

dropsaw
prometheus-dropsaw.jpg

lathe
prometheus-lathe02.jpg

mill... strongarm style
prometheus-mill01.jpg

enerpac press, and sandblaster
prometheus-sandblaster.jpg

Langer

Reaction score
surface grinder
prometheus-surfacegrinder.jpg

I forgot to take pics of the drillpress, but I assume you all know what those look like.

Here's the golden tool - 2.5axis router table
prometheus-router02.jpg

prometheus-router01.jpg

I decided to make an homage to Canadian modding out of some spare carbon panel I had laying around.
prometheus-leaf.jpg

If the stars are aligned and my supplies arrive this week, expect HUGE progress over the next little while.

Thanks for reading, and tune in soon.

Langer

Reaction score
Another parts update:

My parcel from SparkFun arrived this morning. As did my box from AquaComputer, only I won't be able to pick it up from the post office until later this evening.

So-far we have:
The BlinkM RGB LEDs
prometheus-blinkM01.jpg

The Arduino control board
prometheus-arduino01.jpg

prometheus-arduino02.jpg

prometheus-arduino03.jpg

The Female serial plug that will allow me to convert the USB>Serial adapter from Male to Female.
prometheus-serial01.jpg

I'll have my AquaComputer stuff tonight, so tune in then.

Thanks for reading.

Langer

Reaction score

Again many many thanks to my sponsor AquaComputer for generously providing the following:

For those of you who aren't aware of the power of the AquaComputer components. here is a small demonstration video showing the power of the AquaComputer system (aquaero display, aquastream pump, multiswitch, tubemeter water level sensor, aquasuite software).

Here you will find AquaCopmuter's explanation of the AquaComputer automated "monitoring" hardware.

Aquaero 4.00:
prometheus-aquaero01.jpg

prometheus-aquaero02.jpg

prometheus-aquaero03.jpg

AquaComputer 90degree swivel elbows:
prometheus-aquaswivel01.jpg

AquaComputer Flow Sensor:
prometheus-flowsensor01.jpg

prometheus-flowsensor02.jpg

Langer

Reaction score
Multiswitch 1.41:
prometheus-multiswitch01.jpg

prometheus-multiswitch02.jpg

And the center pieces of the system... PrometheusCU Edition G200 waterblocks. Aquacomputer was generous enough to build two of these fore this project. (Note that the Prometheus text appears 'burnt' in the images but this doesn't show up to the naked eye)
prometheus-aquagrafx01.jpg

prometheus-aquagrafx02.jpg

prometheus-aquagrafx03.jpg

prometheus-aquagrafx04.jpg

prometheus-aquagrafx05.jpg

prometheus-aquagrafx06.jpg

More assembly to come soon.

Thanks for reading!

Langer

Reaction score
The CoolerMaster Aquagate Duo generously donated by xtreme0915 of the SliZone forums has arrived today!

I will be using the Aquagate's clever little waterblock/pump assembly to cool the pico board.
prometheus-picowc4.jpg

prometheus-picowc5.jpg

Here is how the waterblock will be mounted to the Pico-ITX board. Note that I've yet to construct a proper bracket for mounting.
prometheus-picowc6.jpg

prometheus-picowc7.jpg

Here is a pic of the board next to the rad that will be cooling it.
prometheus-picowc8.jpg

Here's a quick glimpse of my desk right now, it's been sitting like this for about a month... I really need to pick up the pace.
prometheus-mydesk01.jpg

Langer

Reaction score
Small news update:

I've been honored with the privilege of having PrometheusCU showcased on the front page of TheBestCaseScenario!

Link

TBSC said:
Only when athletes break records people see that it is humanly possible to reach those limits. They then start to believe and prove themselves that they can do it but it takes that 1 person to go above and beyond....

Langer, one of our newer members, showed us that you can not only make a killer rig with a stellar watercooling layout...but make even the smallest of electronics watercooled! Langer showed us what it takes to water cool a PICO-ITX board and do it with style. He deserves rep for this one folks. This is watercooled engineering at it's finest.

Go check it out and have your jawdrop. It's worth the looksie.

-Ichbin

Langer

Reaction score
My machinist (who is doing all my work for free BTW) called me today declaring that he will work though the night if necessary, I'll have the prototype parts cut tomorrow. It's been a crazy time for him and I can't really hold anything against him considering the predicament, also he just moved his shop to a new building at the beginning of Sept.

I have a new dilemma however.

Corsair has been kind enough to provide 8GB(4x2gb) of Dominator 1066mhz RAM with no heat spreaders attached, only they've expressed a little caveat which has me thinking.

With these MIPS Computer GmbH has been very kind and has sponsored me with a RAM Freezer 4 memory waterblock:
mips_nickel.jpg

However since Dominator ram has additional PCB height to aid in heat dissipation:
dominator_measurements.jpg

I'm concerned that the Dominator RAM may not work with the RAM Freezer 4.

Of course I could ask Corsair to provide a RAM from the XPS series that does not have the extra height, but I'm waiting for MIPS Computer to get back to me with measurement specifications.

I've also taken delivery of a couple other aesthetic items this week, I'll have pics up tomorrow or early weekend.

Thanks for reading... and waiting... see you all soon.

Langer

Reaction score
Sorry for the delays folks, but my metal is still not cut (don't get me started... I'm pissed) and until it's installed I cant really do a whole lot else.

I decided to try my hand at fabricating panels from my fabric. These were soaked in resin and pressed at an obesene pressure of several thousand tonnes.
prometheus-carbontest01.jpg

You don't get this look from carbon decal!
prometheus-carbontest02.jpg

prometheus-carbontest03.jpg

prometheus-carbontest04.jpg

The next one is the closest thing to a definition of "indestructible" as you'll ever find. I don't know how many layers there are in this - but it's about a 1/2" thick. It will be used for a few structural components.
prometheus-carbontest201.jpg

prometheus-carbontest202.jpg

prometheus-carbontest203.jpg

Langer

Reaction score
I've also got a few yards of copper mesh, I have a few plans for this stuff it looks really cool when wrapped tightly around wires and cables.
prometheus-coppermesh01.jpg

prometheus-coppermesh02.jpg

Another generous donated product courtesy of Mach over at TheBestCaseScanario's forums. Some braided copper sleeve.
prometheus-coppersleeve01.jpg

Lastly we've got 100' of 18gage copper flat wire to be wrapped around the black tubing for aesthetic reasons.
prometheus-copperwire01.jpg

prometheus-copperwire02.jpg

Also the metallic copper paint I ordered on July 27th is still not even shipped yet which is holding up some of my smaller mods.

I'm just playing the waiting game from now until when my metal is cut. I've done a few little things like lapping my GPU's and CPU, other than that noting big.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.