[AMA] I am a veterinarian. Ask me anything :D

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, my dog of 9+yo recently was diagnosed with neurological issues. Eversince in mid Jan this year, he suddenly starts to walk with head tilted then follow by walking unsteadily and wobbly.. :sad:

Yesterday, he couldn't really eat but today he's slightly better but still not very stable. Its really heartbreaking for me cos vet mentioned that if his conditions deteriorate I have to make decision to put him down. I really don't want that to happen.. every day whenever I see him I will cry.. it's too much to bear...

He is still able to wag his tail whenever I call out to him...but he can't move and his eyes are shutting on n off...

I really hope for a miracle and hoping someone can advise me further.

I really thank you from the bottom of my heart...

If a miracle is what you are after then pray and hope its canine idiopathic vestibular syndrome. Basically, its a condition where something goes wrong with their vestibular system in the ear canal causing dizziness and wobbliness and head tilt. No cure or effective treatment exist but will go away on its own with time usually many many months.

If you got money, suggest taking it to a vet with CT scanner or MRI

ipod baby

Reaction score
If a miracle is what you are after then pray and hope its canine idiopathic vestibular syndrome. Basically, its a condition where something goes wrong with their vestibular system in the ear canal causing dizziness and wobbliness and head tilt. No cure or effective treatment exist but will go away on its own with time usually many many months.

If you got money, suggest taking it to a vet with CT scanner or MRI

Hi there, many thanks for the reply!

My dog has went for a blood test and nothing is wrong including his ears except that vet mentioned it could be some neuro issues.

he is now on Prednisone. These 2 days he is in better condition, he can eat well and move ard so much better than before. Hope he can recover soon.

helkel

Reaction score
I see! Well..seems like vet care and human medical care is the same in this way too. Varying levels of affluence in each locale brings with it their related sets of issues. This is interesting to read about, thanks!

OP1 is for those high school students in queensland, australia the highest possible tier. It would be like scoring AAA in A levels in Singapore. I took science my whole life so yes.

Wah did you get AAA in A lvls in SG to get into vet course in Uni?

TrollAndOgres

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just took in a stray kitten 3 mths plus.. how come she keeps having diarrhoea?

Sent from Somewhere Loh using GAGT

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What is the procedure like for spaying a puppy?

Physical exam prior to putting catheter then induce GA. Put puppy on her back, clip and clean the surgical area. Put drapes and start hacking away and pray for the best outcome :s22::s22:

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just took in a stray kitten 3 mths plus.. how come she keeps having diarrhoea?

Sent from Somewhere Loh using GAGT

Can be a lot of reason. Diet, infectious disease, parasites, etc. Need to take it to a vet.

Uy2328Jy

Reaction score
My puppy has kennel cough 3 weeks ago . Had already went to vet and given puppy medicine. How do I know if she is recovered ? She still cough once in awhile like maybe once to twice a day only .

yang_nastyman

Reaction score
My dog just got cancer, lympnode cancer. The vets prognosis was 2 months left to go. How can i make the next 2 months as good and painless as possible for my 8 year old?

Carriejolynn

Reaction score
My 2 month old kitten tends to tear when she is Wellness CORE Pâté Kitten Turkey & Chicken Liver Canned Cat Food. I heard that it is good because it is grain free. But previously she was on Applaws Kitten chicken breast meat food and she didn't tear. Why is this so?

roentgen

Reaction score
Hi, i have a 7 y/o schnauzer/jack Russell mixed who is prone to skin problem. Is there anything that can be done to prevent this? I have been to the vet a few times and they have said that it is due to allergic reaction. I have tried changing his food and avoid walking in grass area for now but the condition still persist. The area which i feel is affecting my dog most is his paws n the butt area, as he frequently lick his paws. His butt area have this patch of bald spot which is now rough and black.

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My puppy has kennel cough 3 weeks ago . Had already went to vet and given puppy medicine. How do I know if she is recovered ? She still cough once in awhile like maybe once to twice a day only .

Kennel cough is self limiting disease. The puppy would have recovered on her own, drugs are just there to make her comfortable

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My dog just got cancer, lympnode cancer. The vets prognosis was 2 months left to go. How can i make the next 2 months as good and painless as possible for my 8 year old?
Sorry to hear that. Do you mean lymphoma or a cancer that has metastasised to the lymph node?

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My 2 month old kitten tends to tear when she is Wellness CORE Pâté Kitten Turkey & Chicken Liver Canned Cat Food. I heard that it is good because it is grain free. But previously she was on Applaws Kitten chicken breast meat food and she didn't tear. Why is this so?
A lot of pet food makers tend to promote grain free as ‘better’ but realistically, they’re all the same ****.

Now a days I just tell the owner to try different brands and see what works

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, i have a 7 y/o schnauzer/jack Russell mixed who is prone to skin problem. Is there anything that can be done to prevent this? I have been to the vet a few times and they have said that it is due to allergic reaction. I have tried changing his food and avoid walking in grass area for now but the condition still persist. The area which i feel is affecting my dog most is his paws n the butt area, as he frequently lick his paws. His butt area have this patch of bald spot which is now rough and black.
If licking all four paws, then likely contact allergies, wonder if the butt licking might be due to impacted anal glands?

FreddieBoi

Master Member
Reaction score
ShiTzu Skin

Hi, i have a pet shitzu at home.
Her skin condi since young isnt very good already.

recently after my mom bought a dog shampoo from dk where her fur all keep shedding and she scratches constantly, in her free time she will lick her paws and thigh area..
I have been trying to shower her every 2 to 3 days, the conditions has improved just a lil...
I really desperately seek your help, we are from a low income fam, and do not have enough finances to bring her to a vet...

Please advise us on what we can do to help her skin.

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
low income shouldnt get a dog.
if u can afford urself a iphone, thn is not low income.. possible is u want or dont want to spent it.

so what diet u give? some lousy brand?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.