[AMA] I am a veterinarian. Ask me anything :D

rochmateli

Reaction score
My 4 mths old cat doesn't seems to drink that much. Any suggestions how to make him drink

Hortensia

Reaction score
why u chose to be vet not human doctor?
do u think its very similar when treating animals in terms of the equipment and medication u use?

b3atrice

Reaction score
My hamster has a reddish huge lump behind her left ear ): she’s been losing appetite lately. What’s going on?

green_day_er

Reaction score
Hi Lycans,

Recently adopted an 8 week old kitten a few days ago. He didn’t eat much of the Royal cannin kitten dry food (previous household fed him these), so we gave him wet food Wellness core kitten wet food. He loves it but he’s having softstool for 4-5 days now. We understand that it could be due to stress and change of diet since it’s a new experience (new home and food) for him. We still have the dry food out for him though.

Still very active and playful. Should we stop giving him the wet food and stick to his old dry food diet? Worried that he does not eat enough though.

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
My dog has neuro issue.. Very sad.

He been walking unbalance on one side.

Think I had to put him on steroid to make him comfortable

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My 4 mths old cat doesn't seems to drink that much. Any suggestions how to make him drink

If you feed alot of canned food, then the water intake is coming from those food. As a rule, cats dont like to drink lots of water compared with dogs but they still benefit from adequate hydration

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
why u chose to be vet not human doctor?
do u think its very similar when treating animals in terms of the equipment and medication u use?

Just fulfilling child hood dreams loh...vet is interesting career path what

Similar...x-rays, ultrasound, endoscopy, blood tests, anesthetic machine, etc all same as in human hospital.

Medications all the same as in humans, dosage is different and some drugs cant be used in cats

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Lycans,

Recently adopted an 8 week old kitten a few days ago. He didn’t eat much of the Royal cannin kitten dry food (previous household fed him these), so we gave him wet food Wellness core kitten wet food. He loves it but he’s having softstool for 4-5 days now. We understand that it could be due to stress and change of diet since it’s a new experience (new home and food) for him. We still have the dry food out for him though.

Still very active and playful. Should we stop giving him the wet food and stick to his old dry food diet? Worried that he does not eat enough though.

As a rule, you should feed a consistent diet and dont swap diet too quickly as it may trigger diarrhea or soft stools

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My dog has neuro issue.. Very sad.

He been walking unbalance on one side.

Think I had to put him on steroid to make him comfortable

Might just be old dog vestibular syndrome, might need to see the vet again

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
see liao. Give steriod if needed.
No other choice.. other than tht, i add supplement to his brain.

BTW, u got any gd supplement for kidney too LOL? for maintain only.

And liver also, vet ask me buy Vétoquinol Zentonil Advanced 200 Mg , i bought online already but i looking for other option. This Zentonil nt cheap!

Might just be old dog vestibular syndrome, might need to see the vet again

pocket hole damn big this time

I think u be an expert on how to deal with it by now

Last edited:

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
BTW, to check early stage of kidney can use SDMA test

so urine test still can check a not?
I saw the vet use pH level strip... sad lor & charge me ex ex :D

Last edited:

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
BTW, to check early stage of kidney can use SDMA test

so urine test still can check a not?
I saw the vet use pH level strip... sad lor & charge me ex ex :D

SDMA is used for early renal disease screening but beware of false abnormal results. Make sure your pet is well hydrated prior to the blood test.

What to do, pH strips have to be charged what...it doesnt fall from heaven, someone has to pay for it

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
see liao. Give steriod if needed.
No other choice.. other than tht, i add supplement to his brain.

BTW, u got any gd supplement for kidney too LOL? for maintain only.

And liver also, vet ask me buy Vétoquinol Zentonil Advanced 200 Mg , i bought online already but i looking for other option. This Zentonil nt cheap!

pocket hole damn big this time

TBH, Zentonil is pretty much the popular choice for liver supplement. Can also trial milk thistle but check with your vet first.

Best supplement for kidney is just adequate hydration and cut down on salt intake. Phosphate binders can sometimes be used but again, speak with your vet

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.