HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[AMA] I am a veterinarian. Ask me anything :D

Like Tree155Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-10-2019, 01:16 PM   #1111
Arch-Supremacy Member

messing around with a microscope and found some worms/bugs on my cats fur !!!

can anyone help identify what they are ?

looks like 6 legs on the front with a brownish head and they seem only to be on the fur not the skin
Looks like lice
Old 21-10-2019, 01:36 PM   #1112

bingo ...its the cat chewing lice or whatever its called... currently on revolution ...seems to be working well. many are dead (or not moving) only few hours after application

sibeh er xin ...dunno how my indoor cat can get this

very good read

http://www.pet-informed-veterinary-a...#revolution-do

http://www.pet-informed-veterinary-a...-pictures.html

http://www.pet-informed-veterinary-a...ife-cycle.html

Last edited by tweety_piyo; 21-10-2019 at 01:55 PM..
tweety_piyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2019, 10:16 AM   #1113

bingo ...its the cat chewing lice or whatever its called... currently on revolution ...seems to be working well. many are dead (or not moving) only few hours after application

sibeh er xin ...dunno how my indoor cat can get this

very good read

http://www.pet-informed-veterinary-a...#revolution-do

http://www.pet-informed-veterinary-a...-pictures.html

http://www.pet-informed-veterinary-a...ife-cycle.html
So scary. Can i ask, how did you know your cat has this? Just in case i need to check on mine. Can they be seen with your naked eye?
coolstrawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 11:35 AM   #1114

actually initially i tot it was dandruff cause got tiny white specks on the fur.

i got those cheap china microsope when i bought for fun then i was messing around with it when my cat was on the computer table with me ...i placed the microscope on her fur and i saw lice city!

instant er xin, weird thing is that my cat is an indoor cat ( but old la )
tweety_piyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 12:25 PM   #1115

So my cat cant poop. Brought in to the vet last monday. Poo is too hard hence he cant push it out. Vet put in enema but he still cant poop it out. Ran some bloodwork, liver n kidney is all good.
Vet did a colonic evacuation & vet mention abt vacuuming his poop out. Does that mean they manually extract out the poo?
He was under full GA. was told he would be back to his normal self by the next day. but he is still weak till now, weak to the point where he cant jump from floor to the chair.

Fast forward to today, cat still nt pooping.
Gv him wet food on tues & wed nite, he's eating but still not pooping.
Vet mention after 24hours of eating, he need to poop it out.

Was earlier advised by vet to pump fluid under his skin - the IV Hartmanns solution.
But i cant seems to get the needle into him. Will be going back to the vet for the nurse to do the iv drip procedure today.

Question -
Do i need to re-consult the doctor again on why he isn't pooping?
Or should i wait to see that after the drip today, will he poop?
any reason why he is still not pooing, i gv him wet food everyday since it was mention maybe he wasn't drinking enough water. also, i syringe feed him water everyday.

thanks a lot, appreciate it!
ainiii___ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2019, 12:18 PM   #1116
Arch-Supremacy Member

So my cat cant poop. Brought in to the vet last monday. Poo is too hard hence he cant push it out. Vet put in enema but he still cant poop it out. Ran some bloodwork, liver n kidney is all good.
Vet did a colonic evacuation & vet mention abt vacuuming his poop out. Does that mean they manually extract out the poo?
He was under full GA. was told he would be back to his normal self by the next day. but he is still weak till now, weak to the point where he cant jump from floor to the chair.

Fast forward to today, cat still nt pooping.
Gv him wet food on tues & wed nite, he's eating but still not pooping.
Vet mention after 24hours of eating, he need to poop it out.

Was earlier advised by vet to pump fluid under his skin - the IV Hartmanns solution.
But i cant seems to get the needle into him. Will be going back to the vet for the nurse to do the iv drip procedure today.

Question -
Do i need to re-consult the doctor again on why he isn't pooping?
Or should i wait to see that after the drip today, will he poop?
any reason why he is still not pooing, i gv him wet food everyday since it was mention maybe he wasn't drinking enough water. also, i syringe feed him water everyday.

thanks a lot, appreciate it!
If so many time cannot poop then maybe ur cat got megacolon? Have you tried a high fiber diet or Cat Lax? Speak to your vet first before adding fiber or using Cat Lax
Old 27-10-2019, 12:30 PM   #1117

Hi Lycan,
Can you tell me more about Hyperesthesia in cats please?
My girl who turned 1 few months ago has been having this rippling of her back, frantic licking on her front legs, body, dashing around, usually when she's playing last time. She's very active and run 100mph when she plays so I thought it's just her being too excited. But as of last month or so, the back rippling episode has been almost daily and even when she was just relaxing.
She got spayed back in June and after the surgery she gained a lot of weight, while before she was skinny but not underweight.
Brought her to vet few weeks ago, vet didn't think it was hyperesthesia as she found a sore point on her spine , closer to her tail. No flea, skin condition found and she was prescribed Meloxicam Suspension.
From reading about Hyperesthesia online, my understanding is the condition can be diagnosed by matter of deduction of other conditions. We have not do blood test on her since the blood test before her spay surgery.
She doesn't have the full symptoms of hyperesthesia but the back rippling, frantic licking and dashed around match the profile? And she's also on the aggressive side. She jumps and bite out of nowhere even when we're sleeping, or when being pet and purring. But she can be the sweetest girl, it's just worrying that she can bite out of nowhere cause it'll draw blood.
We tried to play with her a lot more, like hours which seems to make the condition better and reduce stress as much as we can. But I feel we need to know if this is a muscle tenderness problem from her knocking things around with her body when she runs around or it's more serious issue like neurological or a mild case of hyperesthesia.
Ideally we'd like to try on things like calming oil, catnip, different food, etc before going straight to medicines but would need guidance for it.
Hope to get your opinion on it. Thank you Lycan.
AristroCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2019, 07:10 PM   #1118
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi Lycan,
Can you tell me more about Hyperesthesia in cats please?
My girl who turned 1 few months ago has been having this rippling of her back, frantic licking on her front legs, body, dashing around, usually when she's playing last time. She's very active and run 100mph when she plays so I thought it's just her being too excited. But as of last month or so, the back rippling episode has been almost daily and even when she was just relaxing.
She got spayed back in June and after the surgery she gained a lot of weight, while before she was skinny but not underweight.
Brought her to vet few weeks ago, vet didn't think it was hyperesthesia as she found a sore point on her spine , closer to her tail. No flea, skin condition found and she was prescribed Meloxicam Suspension.
From reading about Hyperesthesia online, my understanding is the condition can be diagnosed by matter of deduction of other conditions. We have not do blood test on her since the blood test before her spay surgery.
She doesn't have the full symptoms of hyperesthesia but the back rippling, frantic licking and dashed around match the profile? And she's also on the aggressive side. She jumps and bite out of nowhere even when we're sleeping, or when being pet and purring. But she can be the sweetest girl, it's just worrying that she can bite out of nowhere cause it'll draw blood.
We tried to play with her a lot more, like hours which seems to make the condition better and reduce stress as much as we can. But I feel we need to know if this is a muscle tenderness problem from her knocking things around with her body when she runs around or it's more serious issue like neurological or a mild case of hyperesthesia.
Ideally we'd like to try on things like calming oil, catnip, different food, etc before going straight to medicines but would need guidance for it.
Hope to get your opinion on it. Thank you Lycan.
It's a diagnosis of exclusion, meaning you need to rule out all other causes first before saying its hyperesthesia. See your vet or perhaps see Dr Matthias from VES as he is a board certified vet neurologist.

Can trial Clomicalm and Feliway diffuser if its a behavioral issue but you need to see your vet first.
Old 18-11-2019, 08:32 AM   #1119
Arch-Supremacy Member

I have a 5 year old male Maltese. Should i get pet insurance for him? I have heard about high cost of sending pets to the vet when they are older, which led me to consider this.

What is your view on pet insurance? Worth it?
Old 18-11-2019, 09:33 AM   #1120
High Supremacy Member

Than save money now.

I have a 5 year old male Maltese. Should i get pet insurance for him? I have heard about high cost of sending pets to the vet when they are older, which led me to consider this.

What is your view on pet insurance? Worth it?
harky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 11:13 AM   #1121
Arch-Supremacy Member

Where is that cat guy who always post pictures of cats, huh?

I'm missing his cats leh

🙀
Apparatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 10:03 AM   #1122

Recommended for my dog to undergo GA for annual dental scaling and polishing?
natytteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:42 PM   #1123

Hi!! Im 16,and i wish to become a vet later on, but the vet course at ngee an poly has closed. Im not very good for a jc lifestyle, and the vet course at tp is only for technicians. Any suggestions??
Hyperbunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:46 PM   #1124
High Supremacy Member

Is there a Steroids that dont harm liver?? what the name?
Old 04-12-2019, 06:46 PM   #1125
High Supremacy Member

go oversea study as vet..not in sg..

Hi!! Im 16,and i wish to become a vet later on, but the vet course at ngee an poly has closed. Im not very good for a jc lifestyle, and the vet course at tp is only for technicians. Any suggestions??
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.