[OFFICIAL] Fish keeping lover lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

4pxCSO

Master Member
Reaction score
Well, for one, you need to grow like a farmer. So firstly the water need to use submerged type filter to cycle. Because the water level is going to be low. Lighting wise, E27 lighting with 6500K bulb. Now you can opt for LED bulb or CFL bulb. Problem with CFL bulb is that over time, it will dim, if explode then some poison gas will release. Lighting cannot touch water, whether led or cfl.

25% to 50% flood, you maintain it, if 1st week to 3rd week you maintain this water level (meaning add water, cause of evaporation), 3rd week if add water slowly to 75%, lastly to 80% basically you are there, then cycle one more week. In this process, PH is maintain 6.5 or so, so a small bottle to put PH minus powder (aquamedic), then shake until dissolve before adding.

Initial setting up is very XinKu, because of low water level, you almost can hit pearling effect. CO2, up to you, you can mix your own if you have the kit. CO2 once the fish are introduce, you can forget about it.

Do your water measurement then easier to control.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/converter/volume-calculator.php

PS: Since you going for Neon / Cardinal, there is no need for heater. Heater are meant for specific fish only. Like small shrimps, they need chiller/fan to reproduce.

fish rearing / breeding ish serious business.... :eek::eek::eek:
all so cheem to me... :(

KnightDroid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In an amazonian environment, such as amazon river, so the fish familiar to us are Angel Fish, Cardinal tetras.

Some people think putting big sized neon tetra is a good mix with Angel Fish. In the wild, Angel fishes feed on tetras. So whether you are doing it out of a whim, do know the fish habits, else your pocket will burn hole.

A good mate are otos. But cardinals do bully otos.

In a shrimp tank, oto bully shrimp for food. Ha Ha....there is always a bully. As long as they don't fight, just close one eye.

KnightDroid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Morning all, i would like to check something with you all.
My ranchu likes to swim upside down after every meal. Other than that, he/she is perfectly normal. It's that half an hour or so after meals that he/she swims belly up.
What is the issue here?
Thanks in advance

Sent from 波多野结衣 using GAGT

Swim Bladder disease.
http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104322

Hope you nurse your ranchu back to health. The cures recommend are acceptable if you got extra tank can quarantine the ranchu. If not, a cheap plastic tank will do. Just make sure you aerate the water.

Got time, go through maintenance, check the food, check the filter, check the water quality.

4pxCSO

Master Member
Reaction score
betta can keep in planted tank too. :) I kept three in a tank before, mix with other fishes.

i wanted to put a female betta together with my other guppies, but i think moi current tank too small :(

maybe wait for CFO approval for bigger tank... :s13::s13:

KnightDroid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i wanted to put a female betta together with my other guppies, but i think moi current tank too small :(

maybe wait for CFO approval for bigger tank... :s13::s13:

Male betta female betta all no problem. But same type male only can exist one. Different type male if no presence of female, that is okay. Usually betta are kept in pairs, partnering oto. Oto is seen as no threat to most fish but oto is very picky of water quality.

If you rear fish, your oto can last 2-3 years, it means you already reach a certain standard.

PS: That tank got guppies too. But so long liao, all of them passed away.

Last edited:

Niccolo Machiavelli

Master Member
Reaction score
Male betta female betta all no problem. But same type male only can exist one. Different type male if no presence of female, that is okay. Usually betta are kept in pairs, partnering oto. Oto is seen as no threat to most fish but oto is very picky of water quality.

If you rear fish, your oto can last 2-3 years, it means you already reach a certain standard.

PS: That tank got guppies too. But so long liao, all of them passed away.

rear water. if water is good, fish will take care of themselves.

KnightDroid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
rear water. if water is good, fish will take care of themselves.

Precisely. 鱼没有这么容易死的,是养死的。In short, it is the owner of the fishes that need to do their due diligent. The more effort that is put into it, the better it is.

So actually fish rearing if you looking at it as a hobby, it is not a cheap hobby. Neither is it simply just change water. As in the moment you change water, all the water parameter runs haywire. 10%-20% water adding, but that water you add really needs to be rear, not direct tap water.

Anti-chlorine solution, end of the day you look at it, it is a supply and demand situation. It's like the lazy man solution. The more you add, the more problem you have. Well, don't be angry, it takes experience to learn how to do it correctly.

Psst....I don't even feed the fish now in two weeks...heh heh.

Woshileeroy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Swim Bladder disease.
http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104322

Hope you nurse your ranchu back to health. The cures recommend are acceptable if you got extra tank can quarantine the ranchu. If not, a cheap plastic tank will do. Just make sure you aerate the water.

Got time, go through maintenance, check the food, check the filter, check the water quality.
Noted on that, thanks for the reply, i read it.. peas... It's been awhile since i fed them peas. Time to start again. Lol

Last edited:

KnightDroid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Noted on that, thanks for the reply

你很有良心。At least you watch your fish. : )

You can have separate plastic tank with air stone to rear tap water for three days for water change. Don't worry about mozzie. Here is how to do it. The cover seal off with plastic using hard glue. Leaving a venting hole on top. As you pump air, air will be venting out so mozzie cannot fly in actually. You really worry you can put a guppy to patrol the water.

Plastic can be ntuc plastic bag, which is thicker. Just cut to size according.

KnightDroid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Water rearing, water rearing beside aerating it, you need to adjust with PH powder.
Aquamedics have PH up and PH down powder.

Most waterworks differ in PH. As weather gets hotter, you need to pay more attention on PH fluctuation especially the tap water. Rearing of water means after you add the tap water, air stone still running, you can wait a while, before measuring. It comes with it's own spoon, so quarter to 1/3 of a spoon, add, mix, wait a while, measure. Small amt means you can adjust with tap water and powder....either or. So PH down powder suffice.

Since most aquarium tank PH will drop over time, roughly 6.6 suffice. Rest of it, if you have good soil such as ADA or GEX one, it will re-calibrate itself. Rearing of water means you do not add nutrients unless you want to rear algae water. Water rearing the water should best be covered with say newspaper, cardboard. Away from light.

TDS of water, you use NUTC pure water to adjust. 3 part tap, 1 part NTUC pure water. NTUC pure water is distilled water. TDS is 0-10. Amazon water would be like 200-300. In SG, our tap water 80 is a rough guide. You want to adjust to 70 it is okay, don't go too low. Too low fish also cannot tahan.

Last edited:

Woshileeroy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

You can have separate plastic tank with air stone to rear tap water for three days for water change. Don't worry about mozzie. Here is how to do it. The cover seal off with plastic using hard glue. Leaving a venting hole on top. As you pump air, air will be venting out so mozzie cannot fly in actually. You really worry you can put a guppy to patrol the water.

Wow, that's something new to me. Seems interesting, might give it a try. Appreciate it.

KnightDroid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's something new to me. Seems interesting, might give it a try. Appreciate it.

If you outside, later go home add a few ice cube for the fish tank. Pretty hot at the moment. Keep a handful of ice cube available. You can put a container in the fridge for ice cube if your ice box does not comes with a ice drawer.

Woshileeroy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you outside, later go home add a few ice cube for the fish tank. Pretty hot at the moment. Keep a handful of ice cube available. You can put a container in the fridge for ice cube if your ice box does not comes with a ice drawer.
Ok, interesting info. Does the ice cubes have to be treated water? Apologies if it's a noob question. Haha

Niccolo Machiavelli

Master Member
Reaction score

i would skip the plastic, cause mozzies only breed in stagnant water. will just leave the airstone.

to be honest, these days i use direct tap water to do WC. but i only change 20% at one go.

KnightDroid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i would skip the plastic, cause mozzies only breed in stagnant water. will just leave the airstone.

to be honest, these days i use direct tap water to do WC. but i only change 20% at one go.

I bottle the cooled boil water up. Nowadays, since the tank is quite matured, just add the water, no adjustment done on ph.

KnightDroid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I direct tap water , maybe when I get my own home then I rear water

Take a look at NTUC pure water. I'd say get a box online, so they deliver to you, no need to carry. Else, you can two bottle two bottle carry home each time you bypass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.