HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[OFFICIAL] Fish keeping lover lounge

Like Tree230Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2018, 12:03 AM   #2506
Arch-Supremacy Member

If we go for pro stuffs for 2ft, $500 can easily cover a custom tank, soil, nutrients, filter, that's it. That $500 won't cover plants, fishes.

This is why this is a poisonous hobby.
die... i got a empty 3ft tank with on a stand lying around unused...

shall call it poison tank
Old 02-09-2018, 12:28 AM   #2507
High Supremacy Member

die... i got a empty 3ft tank with on a stand lying around unused...

shall call it poison tank
That is some temptation. Keep it in the storeroom.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:35 AM   #2508
Arch-Supremacy Member

Alamak... My rummynose tetra school (20) is too fast to food than the Ruby tetra school (10).
Last week when the number is balance, they can still feed together. But once rummynose numbers doubled, the ruby tetras become very shy and keep hiding. Even when the rummynose are full, they still prefer to hide
Any ideas to improve the situation?
Old 02-09-2018, 12:36 AM   #2509

I'm too cheap to buy one and i'm lazy to go shop to refill it
The cost and trouble of changing the bottle every few weeks are more troublesome. One CO2 tank should last you a very long time between top ups and the CO2 is more consistent.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:44 AM   #2510
High Supremacy Member

Alamak... My rummynose tetra school (20) is too fast to food than the Ruby tetra school (10).
Last week when the number is balance, they can still feed together. But once rummynose numbers doubled, the ruby tetras become very shy and keep hiding. Even when the rummynose are full, they still prefer to hide
First when you feed, commotion must not be great. Expose yourself at a distance, slowly move near, you should have the feed in your hands already.

Figi the water with your fingers a bit once you near, let them come near to you. Once okay, you feed the fish. Make it habit, so they know you are feeding them.

It would do nice everytime you figi your fingers in front of your tank then they move close. I could do that even at LFS....hee, works everytime.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:45 AM   #2511
High Supremacy Member

The cost and trouble of changing the bottle every few weeks are more troublesome. One CO2 tank should last you a very long time between top ups and the CO2 is more consistent.
That depends 2kg or 3kg type. 5kg if you can carry and have transportation for it. Topping up is you need to know where is your nearest point for top up. Everyone differs.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:12 AM   #2512
Arch-Supremacy Member

DOuble ruby tetra

Last edited by yihao93; 02-09-2018 at 03:18 AM..
Old 02-09-2018, 10:59 AM   #2513

hey bros

anyone know of any FB page or community which helps to rehome fishes that people want to release?

and also anyone familiar with secret spots in Singapore to do wild freshwater fishing? I want to bring my girl along to experience such things. don't want her glued to electronics. and she's also quite interested in the hobby at such a young age.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:28 AM   #2514
Master Member

hey bros

anyone know of any FB page or community which helps to rehome fishes that people want to release?

and also anyone familiar with secret spots in Singapore to do wild freshwater fishing? I want to bring my girl along to experience such things. don't want her glued to electronics. and she's also quite interested in the hobby at such a young age.
I only can remember qian hu to fish the long kang fish.... Brought moi boi go there last time
Old 02-09-2018, 11:35 AM   #2515
Arch-Supremacy Member

hey bros

For rehome can just go those fb group and post u want give away if ppl interested will contact u.
For fishes normally at those seaside, can just Google
Old 02-09-2018, 01:30 PM   #2516
Supremacy Member

Hi besides java moss, any other carpet kind of plants that are commonly found in LFS.

Also do you cover the whole bottom with carpet plants or just plant a few here and there and let it grow overtime to cover up the whole area.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:12 PM   #2517
High Supremacy Member

hey bros

Fish will die. Most of these places people release luohan fish. So they end up as fish food instead. Even hunters like angel fish, so don't be surprise.

Only if someone adopts them. For that you go forum easier.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:18 PM   #2518
High Supremacy Member

Old 02-09-2018, 02:22 PM   #2519
High Supremacy Member

Pay attention to tank balance. A tank that is not balanced, stress on one side. Prolong period of time, weight will stress out the joints, some tank leak in such a way.

Notice the setup of tank sequence is a Western methodology. I started off my 3ft in this manner as well, except I do not add any heater because foreign countries have 4 seasons. Now fertiliser base is added first before the gravel sand or whatever soil base you choose.

Again, the setup differs to that of say Japan. I will get one vid that is Japanese setup later on. Likewise, Taiwan tanks are setup similarly except that the soil used are different.

Dennerle is a very popular brand in Western countries, both soil and aquatic fertilizer. Usually they come in 5kg and 10kg pack.

Last edited by KnightDroid; 02-09-2018 at 03:07 PM..
Old 02-09-2018, 02:30 PM   #2520
Supremacy Member

Managed to move house successfully with my small fish tank. Phew. All shrimps survived the past 3 days. So far so good. One shrimp have eggs again. Can't wait for the babies to come out again.

Planning to expand my fish tank. and try to set up more serious scape.. But scared no time to properly maintain...
KnightDroid likes this.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.