HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[OFFICIAL] Fish keeping lover lounge

Like Tree230Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2018, 09:50 PM   #2551

True, i guess i'm lucky it has been 2 years i never face any problems.
Good for you then. I use a diffuser for my CO2 so the pressure needs to be high enough for the micro bubbles to come out. And to get consistent bubbles per second is much easier with a canister.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:51 PM   #2552

You two represent two different camps....on CO2....ha ha.

I am from both camps. But I use CO2 tablets before as well. Nowadays I don't even use CO2.
Actually all depends on what plants you keep. Some plants can do without CO2 injection. But CO2 definitely helps and lower temperature seems to work well for many plants
Old 02-09-2018, 09:56 PM   #2553
High Supremacy Member

Actually all depends on what plants you keep. Some plants can do without CO2 injection. But CO2 definitely helps and lower temperature seems to work well for many plants
It depends how deep your pocket, what age group. As you aged, strength limitation do not allow you to do heavy lifting, etc. So in this scenario, you tend to scale down.

However, being prime of age, everything and almost anything is possible. The mind becomes as white as a sheet of paper, you can draw whatever you want.

This is an Iwagumi tank.

This is a driftwood fish tank.

In both pictures, all the equipment were removed prior to photo taking session.

Last edited by KnightDroid; 02-09-2018 at 09:59 PM..
Old 02-09-2018, 09:59 PM   #2554
High Supremacy Member

Hehe.. Dutch scape picture coming up soon?

As for the snail problem with loach
It’s not so straight forward loach not easy also
Old 02-09-2018, 10:06 PM   #2555
Supremacy Member

Usually it is cotton that they are tied to. Cotton will rot the roots over time, hence it is discarded.

Only lava rocks which are mineral rocks people re-uses them. Driftwood....usually we treat it to a hot water bath, plants bought with driftwood tied, you have to take a risk. Either untie, treat with hot water then tie up or take a risk and treat it together.

Plants are washed by rubbing them gently using fingers, in the process some debris will bound to happen.
Do you plant the java fern tied together with the piece of driftwood?

Or cut the thread and plant each?

Here's a photo of mine

Old 02-09-2018, 10:10 PM   #2556
High Supremacy Member

Here's a photo of mine

Spoiler!
Let's not refer to java fern but larger leafy aquatic plants. I tend to untie them, then plant it directly into the soil so that the roots got some time to develop itself.

But most of my old pictures focus more on fish than plants.

The greenish color actually tells you that the plants are very healthy.

Some aquatic plants sold are actually for terra scape than aquatic scape.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:27 PM   #2557

Let's not refer to java fern but larger leafy aquatic plants. I tend to untie them, then plant it directly into the soil so that the roots got some time to develop itself.

But most of my old pictures focus more on fish than plants.

The greenish color actually tells you that the plants are very healthy.

Some aquatic plants sold are actually for terra scape than aquatic scape.
Baby L183 spotted.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:30 PM   #2558
Arch-Supremacy Member

Here's a photo of mine

Usually I put in together.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:34 PM   #2559
Arch-Supremacy Member

ANYONE got java moss to give away boh? I want pls

Saw polyArt sell one small cup $3
Old 02-09-2018, 11:09 PM   #2560
High Supremacy Member

All fish tanks start off ugly so they said....

Imagine the patience devoted to maintaining the tank itself...phew...

This is fully being told in japanese language. No sub whatsoever. You have to view it in full screen to see it properly.

Point of learning, he cultivated algae.....then use yamato shrimps to basically do sweeping....yamato fed on the algae although they are scavengers so they also feed on fish.

Mizu means water. Ishi means stones/rocks. Kote means to secure. So rocks are used to secure the slope.

Last edited by KnightDroid; 02-09-2018 at 11:19 PM..
Old 02-09-2018, 11:21 PM   #2561

Usually I put in together.
They don't do well in warm water. Mine initially died and all the leaves turn brown. Then I threw the stems into my shrimp tank with chilled water and it started to sprout leaves again.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:26 PM   #2562
High Supremacy Member

If you are keeping shrimps, mama shrimps are vital to sustaining the colony. The lifespan of each shrimp is roughly 3 weeks. So if your tank isn't sustaining, the colony quickly disappear. Cool water is vital to reproduction of shrimps.

Here we see a mama shrimp with eggs in her belly. This was from my tank proudly.
It is smaller than your finger though....hee.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:34 PM   #2563
Arch-Supremacy Member

They don't do well in warm water. Mine initially died and all the leaves turn brown. Then I threw the stems into my shrimp tank with chilled water and it started to sprout leaves again.
No wonder my ferns never seems to survive and yet I kept reading they are very hardy. Zzz

If you are keeping shrimps, mama shrimps are vital to sustaining the colony. The lifespan of each shrimp is roughly 3 weeks. So if your tank isn't sustaining, the colony quickly disappear. Cool water is vital to reproduction of shrimps.

Here we see a mama shrimp with eggs in her belly. This was from my tank proudly.
It is smaller than your finger though....hee.
Argh... My cherries aren't growing unless between Nov to feb. But now my population almost decimated. maybe I'll won't top up anymore. Chiller too expansive and high running cost.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:39 PM   #2564
High Supremacy Member

No wonder my ferns never seems to survive and yet I kept reading they are very hardy. Zzz

Argh... My cherries aren't growing unless between Nov to feb. But now my population almost decimated. maybe I'll won't top up anymore. Chiller too expansive and high running cost.
Yeee.....if you want to sustain the colony, you need to count male to female ratio. Then goto Clementi Flourist see if you can pick up the balancing number. Best if the shrimps got eggs so they will replenish the colony faster or not.

September going to be hotter, evaporation is going to be fast. Humidity is dropping already. If the tank is not cool enough, add fan. Cheap fan is computer fan modified to adaptor. You can tb in the fans easily. They run at 12v so 12v adaptors you can tb in as well. Not going to run too much energy there.

If Y618 then you get to catch them yourself. :>
Old 03-09-2018, 12:17 AM   #2565
Arch-Supremacy Member

Saw got this longkang moss sold at polyart

What is it ?! Can keep in tank/ hardy?!
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.