[OFFICIAL] Fish keeping lover lounge

Like Tree230Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2018, 12:20 AM   #2566
Arch-Supremacy Member

Saw got this longkang moss sold at polyart

What is it ?! Can keep in tank/ hardy?!
sterilise it before adding into your tank, i seem many people get their place from the pond/reservoir/drain to add into their tank
Old 03-09-2018, 06:25 AM   #2567

Hey anybody wants a bunch of snails (mix mystery, Malaysian trumpets) loose gravels, driftwood and some minor plants for free?

My puffers have passed and I wanna give these stuffs away. Please pm me ur contact. Self collect at my place in the central-east region.
Hi pewpewpew. I would love to get my hands on them. Especially the trumpets.

Sent from Samsung SM-G955F using GAGT
Old 03-09-2018, 06:30 AM   #2568

ANYONE got java moss to give away boh? I want pls

Saw polyArt sell one small cup $3
Aunty at c328 selling 1 bag for $2.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:33 AM   #2569

No wonder my ferns never seems to survive and yet I kept reading they are very hardy. Zzz

Argh... My cherries aren't growing unless between Nov to feb. But now my population almost decimated. maybe I'll won't top up anymore. Chiller too expansive and high running cost.
Most ferns, moss and some aquatic plants dont do well when water temp is above 30 degree Celsius.

If you are planning to keep a tank without fan or cooling, then pick plants that are higher heat tolerant.

Shrimps thrive with regular water change and less than 30 degrees temp. I think shrimps lifespan are 3 months. Of course they have longer life at cooler temp. Ideally about 25 or slightly lower but 27 is fine too. Nothing more than 31.

In singapore, water temp can sometimes climb to 31 or even 32 and stay like this for a few days. The shrimps will get wiped out this way. So put your tank in a cooler corner of the house away from sun to avoid heating up during the day. Avoid having too much equipment like pump or cfl light that also add heat to tank.

Last edited by ljohn78; 03-09-2018 at 06:43 AM..
Old 03-09-2018, 06:38 AM   #2570
Master Member

Most ferns, moss and some aquatic plants dont do well when water temp is above 30 degree Celsius.

If you are planting to keep a small tank without fan or cooling, then pick plants that are higher heat tolerant.

What are some of the low lying plants which are more heat tolerant and no need soil?
Old 03-09-2018, 06:54 AM   #2571

What are some of the low lying plants which are more heat tolerant and no need soil?
Bare bottom tank or still have inert substrate like sand or the like?

Old 03-09-2018, 07:04 AM   #2572
Master Member

Do you plant the java fern tied together with the piece of driftwood?

Or cut the thread and plant each?

Here's a photo of mine

best to keep the plant as per the pic. baby plants will grow out from the old leaves and you can pluck them out and tie a bunch on a wood or rock then.

Sent from my air hole using GAGT
Old 03-09-2018, 07:04 AM   #2573
Master Member

Bare bottom tank or still have inert substrate like sand or the like?

Consider bare bottom....wld like to be tied to rock so that it can sink down....
Old 03-09-2018, 07:12 AM   #2574

Consider bare bottom....wld like to be tied to rock so that it can sink down....
Then i suggest Cryptocoryne wentii green or some plants from cryptocoryne family.

They are asian plant that are found near river banks. So already adapted to our climate and dont really need rich substrate. They also dont grow tall since they are rosette plant. Just nice for you. They are easy plant for beginners too. But dont keep them in high pH water.

A pic for your reference.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:16 AM   #2575
Master Member

Then i suggest Cryptocoryne wentii green or some plants from cryptocoryne family.

They are asian plant that are found near river banks. So already adapted to our climate and dont really need rich substrate. They also dont grow tall since they are rosette plant. Just nice for you. They are easy plant for beginners too. But dont keep them in high pH water.

Thank you
Old 03-09-2018, 07:40 AM   #2576
Arch-Supremacy Member

Aunty at c328 selling 1 bag for $2.

Thankz
At which part of the shop? The front where all the grass is gathered ? Also is the bag labelled or something ?
Old 03-09-2018, 07:44 AM   #2577
High Supremacy Member

Java Fern? Rast time I keep but also will kena green spotted algae allover the leaves Sia.

Maybe phosphate too high...
Old 03-09-2018, 08:15 AM   #2578
Master Member

crypts still require substrate.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:26 AM   #2579

Thankz
At which part of the shop? The front where all the grass is gathered ? Also is the bag labelled or something ?
At the back. Near bagging counter, hanging at the side where aunty put goldfish.

Java Fern? Rast time I keep but also will kena green spotted algae allover the leaves Sia.

Maybe phosphate too high...
The plant in the pic is not java fern. Green spot is common. Use nerite snails. Maybe too much light or nutrients. I mainly have them on glass but i dont really care, cause not alot.

crypts still require substrate.

Not the crypt i recommend. It can even be floated.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:55 AM   #2580
High Supremacy Member

This kind of plants likely to kena algae, those grey hairy type. Yamato shrimps basically take care of that.

Again I say, the tank must achieve balance. You see that japanese vid, jungle also can become beautiful.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.