[OFFICIAL] Fish keeping lover lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

yihao93

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wtf my betta also suicide.. wtf :(

Now I have 2 betta MIA. I search everywhere also don't have.

Bird come in makan? :(

Last edited:

Mila Azul

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Check with your guys, my tank is 12litre and the filter max flow rate is 180l/hr (adjustable).

Tank is heavily planted with ferns, eel grass and Nanas.

Livestocks are tetras.

Should I on the max flow rate or 3/4 of it, which is around 130l/hr ....

Posted from PCWX using MI MAX 2

As long your fishes can swim without being blow away it's okay

180 mean your tank being filtered (fully) for 15 times so sound alright

vickyboi

Reaction score
Need some opinions.

I'm restarting my 2ft tank.

I've cycled it for 3 weeks with Ada aquasoil as the first layer. Now I'm intending on layering on another substrate, something really blackish. which was why I was asking about seachem fluorite. I've also seen gex black and am thinking of using it.

What I'd like to know if this would cause any problems? Mixing two different substrates.

currently have 3 fishes swimming in there thanks to my daughter's insistence, 3 neon tetras, 2 common cichlids. about 3 days now.

end goal is to rockscape and have a few plants and eventually, keep a figure 8 puffer and use Fluval c4 or tidal 55. can't risk a canister filter as my son has very itchy fingers.

any comments welcome

tankgunner

Mentor
Reaction score
I used to fill up water in mineral water and froze it. Than afternoon just dump it inside the tank to lower the temperature but a lot of people said no good. Temperature drop like 2-3 degrees only. My fishes not really got affected

Sent from Vivo 1725 using GAGT

depending on your water vol.
by dropping 2-3 degree within an hour vs 48 hrs will have diff result on your live stocks.

that is why when we use chiller, we normally drop the temp by 1 degree and let it be for afew days before we drop another degree and rest afew days until we drop to the desired temp in order not to stress the fish and plants.

yihao93

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dunno if the lizard come makan the betta after it drop to floor....

KnightDroid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I was out the whole day and did not realise the air tube to my internal tank filter was detached from the air pump. I have 2 goldfish in the tank.

When I came back, they were both lying upside down at the bottom of the tank. They were unable to swim, but their gills were still moving a little but not much.

So I quickly put them in a net and put the net near the water surface where the air was bubbling and left them there for two hours. Fortunately, their gill movement became faster and stronger after about 1 hour. After a few hours, they were able to swim around but obviously needed time to recuperate from the ordeal.

So remember to check the air tube or air pump for proper functioning to prevent oxygen starvation.

Your tank have to be small for oxygen starvation. Idea of planted tank is to create oxygen should air pump fails.

KnightDroid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Those with tank problem.

1. Got driftwood or not?
Take out hot water bath. Turn as much as possible. Careful of hotwater on hands and legs.

2. Reset your tank.
First fish out your fish. Pail with air stone.
Sand have to wash. Water use boiled water (cooled) with NTUC pure water. Water cycle with the driftwood and plants.

For GEX, ADA, Borneowild those branded soil you don't heavy wash. Gentle shake. These are water controlling soil. So two type of soil different type of treatment.

3. filter must be wash thoroughly. Bacteria balls are meant to cultivate good bacteria colony using bacter powder. In some cases, you just get a new filter.

Filter failing can be disaster for tanks. Having one HOF and one Sponge filter you have a backup running all the time. A HOF + ext filter is for larger 2ft and above.

Meantime fish can stay in pail for 3 weeks as you cycle.

KnightDroid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sick fish calls for quarantine not using original tank water. Fish tail crooked means sign of disease.

All in all, med not necessary administer. If tank is clean, fish dun get sick easily.

KnightDroid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My tank got 4 female betta now left 1 :( because of today

Tank temp 26-27.x is recommended. Adding of fans and air stone helps to reduce water temperature. Water fall setup helps to reduce water temperature without fans.

A 1ft tank, HOF creates waterfall effect. Plus air stone, plus 2 mounting fans, water temp is kept at bay but you need to constant top up water.

Water evaporation will be strong in such setup but it upkeep the lifes of fishes.

Disposable boxes can be use to make ice. Dumping a block of ice keep temp low every morning before you go to work for 6-10hrs. Water act like battery, then slowly temp rising, eventually battery flat by the time you reach home, you can administer another block.

4pxCSO

Master Member
Reaction score
My tank got 4 female betta now left 1
:(
because of today

One of moi danios also became a jumper just now.. :(
I was about to do water change, lift up the cover and it jumped out.. lucky I was around and faster scoop it back....

KnightDroid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Maybe lizard spooking your fishes. I once lost a betta to a lizard. Head bitten off!!

Gecko eat fish, so far nobody has a video to upload.

We keep hearing pple saying it but nobody have seen it before. Yes, sometimes we see lizard getting near fish tank. Today, I ask you catch fish with net, you already got problem. Why? Fish swim fast. Lizard are firstly too slow for fish, secondly too small to swallow fish. To bite off head, you need sharp teeth. This is lizard, not crocodile. Crocodile also need to spin to bite head off.

4pxCSO

Master Member
Reaction score
Manage to get a pair of Panda Cory from LFS at C328. Other LFSs can only find albino Cory...

The bumblebee horned snails is $2 for one and quite small...

4pxCSO

Master Member
Reaction score
Gecko eat fish, so far nobody has a video to upload.

We keep hearing pple saying it but nobody have seen it before. Yes, sometimes we see lizard getting near fish tank. Today, I ask you catch fish with net, you already got problem. Why? Fish swim fast. Lizard are firstly too slow for fish, secondly too small to swallow fish. To bite off head, you need sharp teeth. This is lizard, not crocodile. Crocodile also need to spin to bite head off.

Must be ghost...... :eek:

skytan13

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Manage to get a pair of Panda Cory from LFS at C328. Other LFSs can only find albino Cory...

The bumblebee horned snails is $2 for one and quite small...

should get 10 albino 10 Venezuela Black.. see them school

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.