HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[OFFICIAL] Fish keeping lover lounge

Like Tree230Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-04-2018, 10:20 AM   #346
Great Supremacy Member

I also hoping to achieve no need to change water. Do I need to plant more so that all the nitrite can be absorb by the plants? Anyway to achieve no need to change water?

Sent from Samsung SM-N950F using GAGT
ehhh sorry but personally i dun believe in 'no need to change water' theory

yes plants will absorb the nitrate ultimately but i still believe in fresh water change, maybe larger intervals and lesser but not totally not changing
Old 14-04-2018, 10:22 AM   #347

Thought of keeping dragon fish. But if go overseas how to take of them ? Any solutions ?
Old 14-04-2018, 10:25 AM   #348
Great Supremacy Member

Thought of keeping dragon fish. But if go overseas how to take of them ? Any solutions ?
arowana? feed them the night before u leave, den leave it... that's what i do, of cos i keep an IP camera facing the tank and view overseas... if got emergency will ask my friend go check
Old 14-04-2018, 10:32 AM   #349
Arch-Supremacy Member

I also hoping to achieve no need to change water. Do I need to plant more so that all the nitrite can be absorb by the plants? Anyway to achieve no need to change water?

Can be done. Previously i controlled the bio load (4 white clouds, 6 killies and 3 netrites snails and many shrimps) in a 3 ft tank. Then I have duck weeds and money plants above surface, ferns, moss and Anubis below surface. I only tested for ammonia, nitrate and nitrites and the level are low and stable. And this is low tech tank.

But there still water change in the form of drawing the tank water to rinse my filters every 1+ months

One draw back is that with little water change, the minerals in the water cloumn seems to deplete after a few months. Those plants became lighter shades of green... So I end up have to supplement with seachem flourish once a week

Last edited by Archnemo; 14-04-2018 at 10:36 AM..
Old 14-04-2018, 10:41 AM   #350
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi guys, wanna ask ur opinion. I just started back my hobby. I use black gravel, and doing dry start method for the plant carpet. This is yesterday photo

Dry start method started on Tuesday (10/4/2018/
Im quite eager to start put water and start cycling process. But worry the roots are not deep enough, and worry the plants will start floating.

My tank size is 32.5cm (L) x 26.5cm (D) x 36cm (H)
My tank is this. This is when I bought it

Also my plan for the aquarium is, I would like to put guppies, neon tetras and shrimps inside. Also I'm looking out any other fishes that is compatible with this 3. I don't plan to pleco as I worry they grow oversize. I usually can't find siamese algae eaters, don't know where to find them.

For plants, I plan to put nana and ferns only. Then in time, I may put vertical wire mesh, and put on Christmas moss to see it grow and cover the whole wire mesh.
I also bought those in bottle bacteria, hoping to cultivate good bacterias to reduce ammonia and nitrate.

What do you guys think? I don't plan to put co2, I only just want to daily feed fishes, and maybe change water once a week.

i used to mix these fishes with guppies
Swordtail /Rummy Nose Tetra / Harlequin Rasbora / Platyfish
Old 14-04-2018, 10:56 AM   #351
High Supremacy Member

show your mom this.
I am sure she will pump in money to support you.

Spoiler!
show her this, hahahahah likely can get green light

Spoiler!
OMG... you all don't poison me leh... These pics are too tempting to get a big tank....
Old 14-04-2018, 11:02 AM   #352
Arch-Supremacy Member

OMG... you all don't poison me leh... These pics are too tempting to get a big tank....
big tanks of CO2 also, lots of water and electricity as well to be pump in
Old 14-04-2018, 12:21 PM   #353

Hi guys, wanna ask ur opinion. I just started back my hobby. I use black gravel, and doing dry start method for the plant carpet. This is yesterday photo

Dry start method started on Tuesday (10/4/2018/
Im quite eager to start put water and start cycling process. But worry the roots are not deep enough, and worry the plants will start floating.

My tank size is 32.5cm (L) x 26.5cm (D) x 36cm (H)
My tank is this. This is when I bought it

Also my plan for the aquarium is, I would like to put guppies, neon tetras and shrimps inside. Also I'm looking out any other fishes that is compatible with this 3. I don't plan to pleco as I worry they grow oversize. I usually can't find siamese algae eaters, don't know where to find them.

For plants, I plan to put nana and ferns only. Then in time, I may put vertical wire mesh, and put on Christmas moss to see it grow and cover the whole wire mesh.
I also bought those in bottle bacteria, hoping to cultivate good bacterias to reduce ammonia and nitrate.

What do you guys think? I don't plan to put co2, I only just want to daily feed fishes, and maybe change water once a week.

Hi ahtom82. May i know what is the plant you growing in the pic? It look like you started planting the carpet from seeds?

Also guppies are slightly fin nipping. So better buy fish that move fast or doesnt have long fins.

You can use the bottled bacteria but at the begining it is still better to test regularly for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate to make sure the bacteria are working. Heard that some bottled bacteria are actually not able to properly kick start the nitrogen cycle.

Last edited by ljohn78; 14-04-2018 at 12:25 PM..
Old 14-04-2018, 12:28 PM   #354

Oh ya I also didn't put the air pump, cause I have the normal filter system, pump up to the filter, then filter portion I plan to put some bio filters. I think the water pump to the filters got sufficient air exchange to get enough air in the water. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You dont need air pump if you are using the overhead sump. The overhead sump / filter built into the hood is enough for a light bioload.

What is the pump flow rate? Should aim to cycle total tank volume at least 5 times or more per hour.

Remember to put a mechanical filter before the water hit the bio media.

Use enough biomedia to meet your stocking level. Actually, the more the merrier.
Old 14-04-2018, 12:35 PM   #355

Hi it is possible to do a no water change low maintenance tank. But it takes a certain level of experience higher than beginner to do that.

Are you a beginner? If you are just starting out, better to just do weekly water change and then gain some experience under your belt first before attempting something trickier.

My current display tank is a no water change, minimum maintenance, high bio load, high light, heavily planted tank with no CO2 and inert substrate. I did add some DIY root tab last month.

Currently having a slight green dust algae issue which should be solve pretty soon as it seems to be getting better. (i hope)
Old 14-04-2018, 12:37 PM   #356
Arch-Supremacy Member

ehhh sorry but personally i dun believe in 'no need to change water' theory

yes plants will absorb the nitrate ultimately but i still believe in fresh water change, maybe larger intervals and lesser but not totally not changing
my 4ft plants tank (no co2) with community fish no change of water for two years leow. all doing well
Old 14-04-2018, 12:39 PM   #357

my 4ft plants tank (no co2) with community fish no change of water for two years leow. all doing well
Power! Please share your tank pic and SECRETS!
Old 14-04-2018, 01:16 PM   #358

Can be done. Previously i controlled the bio load (4 white clouds, 6 killies and 3 netrites snails and many shrimps) in a 3 ft tank. Then I have duck weeds and money plants above surface, ferns, moss and Anubis below surface. I only tested for ammonia, nitrate and nitrites and the level are low and stable. And this is low tech tank.

But there still water change in the form of drawing the tank water to rinse my filters every 1+ months

One draw back is that with little water change, the minerals in the water cloumn seems to deplete after a few months. Those plants became lighter shades of green... So I end up have to supplement with seachem flourish once a week
Thanks, but seem the steps you take to replace "no water change" seems like a lot hahaha. Then I better stick to change water weekly. Thank anyway
i used to mix these fishes with guppies
Swordtail /Rummy Nose Tetra / Harlequin Rasbora / Platyfish
Thanks for the tips, I shall look out for this fishes
Hi ahtom82. May i know what is the plant you growing in the pic? It look like you started planting the carpet from seeds?

Also guppies are slightly fin nipping. So better buy fish that move fast or doesnt have long fins.

You can use the bottled bacteria but at the begining it is still better to test regularly for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate to make sure the bacteria are working. Heard that some bottled bacteria are actually not able to properly kick start the nitrogen cycle.
I'm not sure actually. I bought from a seller a carousel, and I ask him, he also say, he not sure. Yes I'm starting the plant carpet from seeds. I also worry about bacteria cannot kick start. Heard that is best to use used filters cause it contains loads of good bacteria, but I can't find many people sell though

Old 14-04-2018, 01:20 PM   #359

You dont need air pump if you are using the overhead sump. The overhead sump / filter built into the hood is enough for a light bioload.

What is the pump flow rate? Should aim to cycle total tank volume at least 5 times or more per hour.

Remember to put a mechanical filter before the water hit the bio media.

Use enough biomedia to meet your stocking level. Actually, the more the merrier.
Thanks
Hi it is possible to do a no water change low maintenance tank. But it takes a certain level of experience higher than beginner to do that.

Are you a beginner? If you are just starting out, better to just do weekly water change and then gain some experience under your belt first before attempting something trickier.

My current display tank is a no water change, minimum maintenance, high bio load, high light, heavily planted tank with no CO2 and inert substrate. I did add some DIY root tab last month.

Currently having a slight green dust algae issue which should be solve pretty soon as it seems to be getting better. (i hope)
Yes I'm a beginner. Thanks for ur advice
Can u show us ur tank pic, I'm interested how to have no water change aquarium

Old 14-04-2018, 01:23 PM   #360
Great Supremacy Member

just top up? so good
what u use?
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.