Status
Not open for further replies.

Pank85

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
below is my tank photo. 5 guppy inside. tank size 40 x 23 x 25
this morning 1 of my guppy die.
all guppies bought last weekend.
im only using the water conditioner as shown in photo. is that good ?
i see that alot of people intro seachem prime / api . should i change to this ?

sbQvZGq.jpg

Last edited:

Joge517

Reaction score
First picture is from Lava Tube Cave, Lava Beds National Monument, Tulelake, California.

f8Gbazw.jpg

2nd picture was the mimicked scape after I set it up. lol...I sorta enjoy small little pictures of them until I forgot to take full tank picture back then.

Top part is really from the tank lighting I have back then, not from phone camera flash light.
The plants looks less healthy before the setup, I pump in bacteria to spice things up so it looks better at a later part....I think was six weeks of growth before introducing the shrimps.

0SXVDzV.jpg

Just for comparison.

kQDaIPZ.jpg
Wow! Is the background rocks or spray foam?

Sent from Xiaomi POCOPHONE F1 using GAGT

Oyabun

Banned
Reaction score
Did you cycle your tank with substrate for a few weeks first? Than put plants. After check water perimeter than put fish. Although these water condition can work, they also take a while to decholrine. I use Seacheam Prime or Salt. But not immediately water and fish together put inside tank.

Sent from Vivo 1725 using GAGT

4pxCSO

Master Member
Reaction score

Spoiler!{ this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display = 'inline'; this.innerText = ''; this.value = 'Hide'; }else{ this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display = 'none'; this.innerText = ''; this.value='Show'; }" type="button">

Can add more water ...
and more fish

Pank85

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Did you cycle your tank with substrate for a few weeks first? Than put plants. After check water perimeter than put fish. Although these water condition can work, they also take a while to decholrine. I use Seacheam Prime or Salt. But not immediately water and fish together put inside tank.

i only cycle with substrate 1 week with with water conditioner, then after that i put plant and guppy in. just do water change last night cos i see 1 of the guppy not swimming much so do a change see if it improve. today uplorry liao that fish.

KnightDroid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wow! Is the background rocks or spray foam?

Sent from Xiaomi POCOPHONE F1 using GAGT

Actually just a background thingy I found at Clementi Flourist, it really matches, slot in at the back of tank only, no fixture. Not foam, dunno what it was made of. Then lava rocks, think I got it from GC, back then they had this shop at Clementi nearby. Carries my ADA soil ....boy was it heavy. Yah...pretty much stuffs even though this is just a 1ft tank.

Think the lighting was 2x40w CFL (actual wattage is lesser, talking about brightness here), 6500K thingy DIY kinda light.

One more pict which was from the side where the CO2 diffuser is. Just to show how small the shrimps really were. Think I had 3 fans running back then...lol. Just to bring the temperature down since I dun use a chiller. Colony begins around 10, end up more than 200....finally the colony collapse after not enough males to reproduce after 2 years or so....basically that's it.
VA0rJcj.jpg

Last edited:

KnightDroid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This pair of babies took over the tank.
Seasonal fish, short lives...they didn't manage to mate. : P

I kept the TDS around 80 or so. Rear water to be 60-65 though. Changed the scape slightly.

m8IAi2p.jpg

b5Mz5zT.jpg

KnightDroid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

sbQvZGq.jpg

I would suggest rearing water using a toyogo box paint it black, away from lights. Have to air pump the water, then de-chlorine the water so that you do not need to add additional stuffs.

I give you an idea, you can add additional driftwood. Now new ones look like the right piece. The left ones got this color because of blackwater essence. So you can get a pail, soak it inside, covered up. No need airpump thingy. Just blackwater and driftwood. Time to time, bring out for hot water bath to kill off any would be rotting. Then you get a blacky driftwood.

Hot water bathe of course in the toilet, just make sure don't pour on your legs.

QbA1a9y.jpg

Last edited:

KnightDroid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Every piece of Driftwood has its own character. Don't mind the green reflection, that's from my green sofa...lol. (green....sofa) ....and green wall...ha ha.

kNPNDsr.jpg

Oyabun

Banned
Reaction score
All plants pls wash clean with your tank water and soak a while before put in. The water come with your tank don't go into your tank. Pour out to a container than scope the fish put inside. Sometime play safe just wash the plastic bag and leave inside aquarium for a while to accustom to the temperature than later released.

KnightDroid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That is correct, plants need to soak in medicated water properly before introducing into tanks.

After few hours of soaking, you still need to soak in clear water to get rid of that medication. Then following day then intro in. Need much patience but the result will be a rewarding one.

yihao93

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

sbQvZGq.jpg

Actually use api ok Liao
Or make sure yours can remove chlorine+chloramine.

Pank85

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I would suggest rearing water using a toyogo box paint it black, away from lights. Have to air pump the water, then de-chlorine the water so that you do not need to add additional stuffs.

I give you an idea, you can add additional driftwood. Now new ones look like the right piece. The left ones got this color because of blackwater essence. So you can get a pail, soak it inside, covered up. No need airpump thingy. Just blackwater and driftwood. Time to time, bring out for hot water bath to kill off any would be rotting. Then you get a blacky driftwood.

Hot water bathe of course in the toilet, just make sure don't pour on your legs.

ok. do u all pour in the water conditioner everyday or only during WC ?
should i get test kit to test for amonia and nitrate and ph ? which test kit is good to get and affordable ?

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

sbQvZGq.jpg

Not sure if it could be the cause, but I had bad experience with similar gravel. Dirty stuff get caught inside and hard to clear. But my tank was smaller than yours, about 3/4 of yours and 1 betta.

Btw, the plant is planted to what thing?

Pank85

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it could be the cause, but I had bad experience with similar gravel. Dirty stuff get caught inside and hard to clear. But my tank was smaller than yours, about 3/4 of yours and 1 betta.

Btw, the plant is planted to what thing?

the plant is tied to a small wood. sell as a whole together.

this type of gravel not good ?

4pxCSO

Master Member
Reaction score
should i get test kit to test for amonia and nitrate and ph ? which test kit is good to get and affordable ?

No need to pour water conditioner everyday...
During WC will do...

I never use any test kits.....
and my tank is same size as urs, taken last week I think, now I itchy hand, change some layout again... :s13:

N7QloGM.jpg

Last edited:

KnightDroid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Dechlorine is to let it evaporate via air pumping, so dechlorination is done several hrs before you add water.

A pail fill tap water, this the chlorinated water. Air stone air pump the thingy, pour half a cap into the pail, use hand to stir, let it settled a few hrs.

Once chlorine evaporates, basically there is no need to add everyday. Waste the solution if u do.

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Inc. is the most common test kit. Comes in diff form, depends what u wanna test. Visit LFS to learn more. Each kit got expiry.

Experienced like me, use hand can tell me ph, hardness of water liao. If you wanna taste it can go ahead...lol.

KnightDroid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As per yihao posting, chloramine is the one we wanna remove. You can check PUB waterworks on how they treat the water.

When to pay attention?
Very hot days. This is the period they add a lot. Rainy season, since a lot of softwater dilutes the reservoir, they use less chlorine and chloramine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.