Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[OFFICIAL] Fish keeping lover lounge

Like Tree230Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2018, 09:52 PM   #1336
High Supremacy Member

i use ada amazonia.

tiagong sibeh expensive siah.....was thinking of some kind of cheap sand.....grow those simple common plants as my fish will destroy the more delicate ones.....
Old 05-07-2018, 10:00 PM   #1337
Honorary Member

tiagong sibeh expensive siah.....was thinking of some kind of cheap sand.....grow those simple common plants as my fish will destroy the more delicate ones.....
what plants you going to grow?
Old 05-07-2018, 10:04 PM   #1338
Honorary Member

I bought the basic for $35 at seaview taiwan selling it for less than $17...

His SVR very nice leh.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:35 PM   #1339
High Supremacy Member

what plants you going to grow?

those $1.00 plants they sell in little pots at aquariums
Old 05-07-2018, 11:42 PM   #1340
Supremacy Member

Cheap plants dont auto equal easy plants....

Dont have to get expensive soil as they will useless in a year or two. DIY root tab and ur good to go. Cheapest way
Old 05-07-2018, 11:47 PM   #1341
High Supremacy Member

what kind of soil to grow plants in? or use sand?
Soil not so important. If you ask me, better to use cheap brand soil. High nutrient soil may cause other unwanted issues, like algae bloom at the initial stage of the tank.

What's more important is the balancing the quality of water, filtration and amount of lightings.

Those $1 aquatic plants you spoke about is useful for early stages coz that's when you have plenty of nutrients in the tank and those plants suck up lots of it. That's why they grow really fast, a nuisance. I prefer slow growing plants, like Nana or Anubias, and watch it grow every day. That's the enjoyment for me.

I have done a planted tank without any soil also. Still looks beautiful if you know how to set it up.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:16 AM   #1342
Honorary Member

not all plants need soil or base fert.
you need to know what you are growing.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:02 AM   #1343
Honorary Member

if I put a brand new filter and let it run in a mature tank, how long it takes for the BB to be ready for this new filter?
Old 06-07-2018, 02:14 PM   #1344
Arch-Supremacy Member

if I put a brand new filter and let it run in a mature tank, how long it takes for the BB to be ready for this new filter?
At least 1 week? or you can simply move your old/dirty filter over to the new tank or just buy a betta put it in the new tank it will also help to speed up the cycling process

Ammonia(cre8 from uneaten food, poo, dead plants etc) is like food to the BB

when i accidentally switch off my filter i will use nitrifying bacteria it takes about 1 week to fully cycle my 4ft tank, how i know whether it successful is the smell, BB all the died the tank will have a foul smell after adding the nitrifying bacteria about 1 week the smell is gone
Old 06-07-2018, 02:15 PM   #1345
Arch-Supremacy Member

Dont have to get expensive soil as they will useless in a year or two. DIY root tab and ur good to go. Cheapest way
Yah use diy root tab

Not my pix
Old 06-07-2018, 02:17 PM   #1346
Arch-Supremacy Member

I bought the basic for $35 at seaview taiwan selling it for less than $17...

I should copy his method change the top section to a better bio medias
Old 06-07-2018, 02:26 PM   #1347
High Supremacy Member

not all plants need soil or base fert.
you need to know what you are growing.

Soil not so important. If you ask me, better to use cheap brand soil. High nutrient soil may cause other unwanted issues, like algae bloom at the initial stage of the tank.

What's more important is the balancing the quality of water, filtration and amount of lightings.

Those $1 aquatic plants you spoke about is useful for early stages coz that's when you have plenty of nutrients in the tank and those plants suck up lots of it. That's why they grow really fast, a nuisance. I prefer slow growing plants, like Nana or Anubias, and watch it grow every day. That's the enjoyment for me.

I have done a planted tank without any soil also. Still looks beautiful if you know how to set it up.

Yah use diy root tab

Not my pix

Noted......maybe put cheap sand for decorative purpose but add root tabs....want to focus on fish keeping not gardening too

many thks for advice
Old 06-07-2018, 02:31 PM   #1348
Master Member

I think all filter types have their pros and cons. Really depends on filtration need of the aquarium, aesthetics and practicality of maintenance.

Canister has good filtration capacity but maintenance is more complicated. Not to mention, canister is also more expensive.

Sent from Samsung SM-G955F using GAGT
Bro, for my 2 teir canisters, I used all B.B cultivation . The inlet in the tank I use sponge filter. Every 6 months I only open the canister once to change the foam on top of the canister. Inside quite clean despite 6 months never touch.

No hassle one bro. Just donít follow the traditional method of canister first top teir filter and 2 teir BB cultivation . U will just dirty it very fast especially ur fish is slow eaters.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:39 PM   #1349
Master Member

The pro of canister is clean looking tank . When washing tank for few hours bb not disturbed. Well circulation of tank water no blind spots provided u used the right filter speed 5 times per hour rule applied . Ironically hassle/ maintenance free.

Con is electricity. For me I cannot tell the difference in bills when I donít use cannister at all the whole month lol

Good filtration and water health for your fish. I put as con because Some fish I donít like grow bigger and bigger and never seems to die ^^ in fact I have over 30 fishes at one time n no casualties for 1 whole year!

Unless u are keeping shrimps and guppies then no point going canister if not be a little committed, use a good filtration system n WC every week!
Old 06-07-2018, 02:50 PM   #1350

Auntie shop?
yes aunty shop. confirm got sell. last time i saw aunty took out for some customer. Big Thick grey foam.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.