HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[OFFICIAL] Fish keeping lover lounge - Part 2

Like Tree64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-10-2020, 09:39 PM   #1051
Supremacy Member

Noob here

Have a question, is the quality of fishes from those neighborhood stores generally ok? Like is there an expected mortality rate?

For instance my planted tank, I put 3 guppies and 2 KO. Molly I got from longkang fishing no problem though
Forever84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 10:50 PM   #1052

Erm why frogbit is good for algae control leh?
Dont know is it coincidence or not.
After i add frogbut my lower plants growth stunt and algae boom for me sia. Sian
shin7829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 11:00 PM   #1053
Master Member

Yeah i have heard of these soil brands too, but i am keen to try out potting mix as recommended by Walstad.

Am still in planning stage, taking it slow.
Will you be adding frogbits and duckweed for algae control?

I'm excited for you too. Just start and see where it takes you.

If I can resist adding water or plants or fish for 10 weeks...Think I am most likely adding some type of moss on some of the rocks and on the driftwood 9 weeks in, then add water on Week 11 while setting up a new filter. Actually I am not sure if I want to add the filter but the eventual goal is to have 8 small schooling fish like rummy nose tetras or go the shrimp route. Because this is a new filter with new filter media, maybe I will let it cycle for 4-6 weeks with no addition of live stocks or floating plants first. I predict I will get algae by Week 12, so just scrub and remove as much as I can, while cycling and doing 50% water changes twice a week. If algae still sets in by Week 14, then maybe add some feeder shrimps. Any advice on cycling will be great.

Last edited by erin50; 17-10-2020 at 11:08 PM..
erin50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 11:19 PM   #1054

Does good bacteria if u wanna speed cycling up.
U may wanna get some test kit.

It will show you ammonia spike, then nitrite spike. Eventually nitrate will appear, and no ammonia and nitrite will be detected.
Old 17-10-2020, 11:36 PM   #1055

haiz. Very wrong to buy and add that pretty looking male guppy in recklessly. Roughly one week now, all officially dead, including the new male...

Wash the container, rinse the anacharis. This time let the container settles down 2 weeks with just anacharis and snail only first see how, then think about adding the fish in.
Like to ask advise on this period, how should I prevent mosquito laying larvae in this container with still water for the 2 weeks???
If your water surface has movement, mosquitoes will not lay their egg in the water.
teagarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 11:39 PM   #1056

I am thinking to pull out everything and throw away. It seems once algae grow on the plants, it is very difficult to totally eradicate.
Show your tank again?
Ya they infest anywhere. Even if cut away also dangerous that when floating it may transfer to some other plants. Very sian.

I now have many hair algae. I trying to remedy it
Spray hydrogen peroxide if algae issue is isolated. Can use aquarium uv sterilizer to kill algae spores.
Old 17-10-2020, 11:51 PM   #1057

Noob here

Have a question, is the quality of fishes from those neighborhood stores generally ok? Like is there an expected mortality rate?

For instance my planted tank, I put 3 guppies and 2 KO. Molly I got from longkang fishing no problem though
My experience is aquarium store fish usually come with ich. White spot disease. So mortality rate is significant.

Wild molly might carry internal parasites but generally hardier genetic makeup.

Mixing farm breed aquarium fish with wild caught is deadly.
Old 17-10-2020, 11:53 PM   #1058

After i add frogbut my lower plants growth stunt and algae boom for me sia. Sian
Frogbit or any aquarium plant are good for algae control only if they are growing. If for whatever reasons your plant are not growing, algae will take over. Planted tank or not. Frogbit or not.
Old 17-10-2020, 11:55 PM   #1059

Nothing much to share. Me noob. Third day only and my fingers are itchy to go buy new plants

I'm using this one ->
Soil: Advanced Soil for Plants $15 Polyart Aquarium, 328 Clementi Avenue 2, Singapore 120328 https://www.help-advancedsoil.biz/english/products/

Was looking around for black substrate. This one happens to fit the bill and I couldn't find ANS anywhere. Kinda nice brand because they produce nothing except for soil although the parent company specializes in pet and vet industries. This one is about 5mm, maybe for hair grass, 3mm is better in terms of anchoring and evenness but shrug, I was eager to start. Plus ADA, Dennerle and Tropica all way above $15 for 3L and most of what I found was brown.

FYI other similar choices you can have at this price range are:

JUN Platinium Soil 3L Black Super Powder - $15
https://eastoceansg.com/jun-platiniu...k-super-powder

ANS Planta Soil 3L - $16
https://eastoceansg.com/planted/soil...planta-soil-3l

I am using JUN platinium soil. Suppose to keep water clear. But crush easily into powder when i handle it.

In the end i cap it with a layer of sand to keep my water crystal clear.
Old 18-10-2020, 01:09 AM   #1060

If plants growth stunt, how?
Only one rotala is growing nicely. Others stunt mode.
Old 18-10-2020, 01:45 AM   #1061

Stunt growth due to lack of Nitrogen/nitrate. Heavy root feeder use root tab else dose liquid fert.

Hair algae usually only in a new tank when it is still balancing. After a while will go away. Use some shrimp or snail to eat away the hair algae.

Can also try black out your tank for 1 week. I tried before and it works. Your plant will be weaken but they will survive. The algae eater can help speed this up.

Dont dose liquid carbon if you have shrimps and snails. They will die.
Old 18-10-2020, 04:22 AM   #1062
Master Member

they float and block the uv and since it gets the nutrients from the water it will indirectly control the growth of algae
Old 18-10-2020, 07:40 AM   #1063
Supremacy Member

My experience is aquarium store fish usually come with ich. White spot disease. So mortality rate is significant.

Wild molly might carry internal parasites but generally hardier genetic makeup.

Mixing farm breed aquarium fish with wild caught is deadly.
Ooo, thanks for the info

So usually when u guys bring back the fish from store, do u treat it with something first?
Forever84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2020, 07:45 AM   #1064

Floating plants like frogbits will absorb the excess nutrients so algae will not have a chance to take advantage of the excess nutrients to bloom. Floating plants can thrive well because they can take in carbon dioxide from the surface.

Perhaps your lower plants growth stunt is probably because the floating frogbit is blocking the light. I will use a floating divider to spread out the frogbit so light can reach the lower plants.
Disturbed_Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2020, 07:48 AM   #1065

I'm excited for you too. Just start and see where it takes you.

If I can resist adding water or plants or fish for 10 weeks...Think I am most likely adding some type of moss on some of the rocks and on the driftwood 9 weeks in, then add water on Week 11 while setting up a new filter. Actually I am not sure if I want to add the filter but the eventual goal is to have 8 small schooling fish like rummy nose tetras or go the shrimp route. Because this is a new filter with new filter media, maybe I will let it cycle for 4-6 weeks with no addition of live stocks or floating plants first. I predict I will get algae by Week 12, so just scrub and remove as much as I can, while cycling and doing 50% water changes twice a week. If algae still sets in by Week 14, then maybe add some feeder shrimps. Any advice on cycling will be great.
Ah yes, this will take a while. But i don’t intend to use filter. Mine will be heavily planted for a couple of weeks. The plants will fight it out among themselves to achieve water stability. I am expecting some plants to melt away due to competition. So i am hoping to be able to add dwraf grourami and some cherrt shrimp, and a nerite by week 12 - 15.

Last edited by Disturbed_Munky; 18-10-2020 at 07:50 AM..
Disturbed_Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.