HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

My poodle aint a poodle after all.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2011, 11:08 AM   #1

My poodle aint a poodle after all.

Hi Everyone,

Totally new to dog keeping, so in other words, a newbie at this. Purchased a puppy about 3-4 months ago. Just engaged a dog trainer over last weekend to teach us how to better handle our dog.

Problem is - when we went to the Pasir Ris Kennel and asked, the owner said that the puppy is a toy poodle. After we bought it, the registration card also states the breed as 'Poodle'.

However our dog trainer, the moment he saw our dog, he asked us again 'Excuse me, what breed did you say your dog is again?'

He couldnt believe that our dog is a poodle.

He immediately took a few pictures and sent to a couple of his experienced friends as well, and the consensus is that - all of them agree that our dog is not a full blood poodle. None of them can confirm what exact breed or mix our dog is but they are all very certain that our dog is not a pure poodle.

Afterwhich, i also spent more time looking and researching a bit more online, and realise that my 'poodle''s face mirrors that of a maltese but the fur is not as silky.

Any of you ever encoutered such a situation and any advise what i should do to rectify it? Me and my wife totally agree that regardless whatever breed our dog is, we will still keep him. But the fact is we feel that this particular kennel should have not misrepresented the breed of the dog.

-Is there any way that we can confirm the breed of our dog?
harrymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
Master Member

Just to share, i have a Chihuahua that doesn’t look like a Chihuahua. But i know she is a Chihuahua. I got her through a friend, so i know her line of parentage and her siblings. She looks more like dogzilla for a Chihuahua. Some ask if she is a mini golden retreiver.

A case of an act by nature? In a good way for me cos she is such a daring. Very good nature, unlike my other "pretty" Chihuahua which is half her size. Favoritism? You bet.

I would suggest that perhaps you can go back to the kennel you bought your dog and clarify with them.
writetodonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:00 PM   #3

Hi donkey,

Thanks very much. I suppose it could happen.

Just that we bought 2 puppies at the same time. Siblings. One male and one female. The female puppy is with my wife's sister. The male puppy's with me. And both doggies after some initial reviews, are totally not pure poodles per se.

We love our dogs nonetheless, but if it's an intentional act of misrepresentation by the kennel, then thats what we are after.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
Master Member

Then all the more you should go back and ask the seller.
Good luck
writetodonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #5

Sadly, this is what happens when you buy from puppy mills.

Cases like these happen all too often and it is so hard for change due to the ignorance of people and the simple fact that these puppy-mills are "licensed and approved" by AVA.

To get proper true-blooded pedigree breeds, you'll probably have to get them online or pay quite a significant sum to "specialized" local breeders. However, that doesn't guarantee that the dogs are being bred in proper conditions as they are still run like puppy mills, albeit in slightly better conditions because after all, these dogs and puppies are money making creatures to them.

I know people out there have preferences to breeds but really, if possible, please adopt! There are thousands of dogs being housed in SPCA and animal shelters in Singapore alone just yearning for a good home.

A good article for a brief insight on puppy-mills in singapore:
http://www.cnngo.com/singapore/puppy...t-store-337803

"Never buy a puppy with the idea that you are “rescuing” him or her from the shop. While your intentions may be good, your “rescue” money goes back into making more space for more dogs to breed."
Old 12-07-2011, 02:08 PM   #6
Master Member

how come i am not surprised at all
firstly puppymill
secondly pasir ris

aiya even u go back to them, they can still make up all sort of funny excuses saying that the puppy great grandparents might be this might be that. they can say they cant trace also. what else can u do about it??

the last time i ever read there is a kind of DNA test where u can test for the dog breeds. but i think it can only be done in canada or usa. sg technology not so advanced yet.

Last edited by dogncats; 12-07-2011 at 02:10 PM..
dogncats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:09 PM   #7

faggerst, unfortunately we cant take most of the dogs available for adoption due to HDB regulation. toy breeds are normally adopted quite fast but those bigger breed like mongrel and cross are way harder to find new home despite sweet nature and well behaved =(
sagiluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:16 PM   #8
Supremacy Member

You have proof that the seller stated they are poodles? And it's confimed they are not? If so, write in to AVA. The breeders are doing such things exactly because no one bother to take action against them.

When you go to see kennels, they have a nice small frontal facade. Ever wonder what happens in their backyards? The areas where it's all covered up & blocked from sight.
Yowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:28 PM   #9

Hi everyone:

Faggerst: I agree. I have totally no qualms about adopting. Just that we were keen on a poodle, and we are first time dog owners, as such I really had no idea what were the different alternatives available and we happened to spot our really cute puppy while we were walking past that kennel that day, that's why we bought him then and there.

Dogncats: At the risk of assumption, I would not think that the kennel would admit anything at all. Am thinking of bringing the dog to a reputable vet and getting them to confirm that the dog is NOT a poodle. I dont need to know what exact breed, but just to confirm him isnt a pure bred.

Yowzer: Yups! It's stated on the registration card from the kennel. Breed as 'Poodle'.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:27 PM   #10

can you post photo of that 'poodle'
testing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:24 PM   #11
Master Member

Could you pm me the petshop name?
BiGhaPPyJer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:31 PM   #12

Old 12-07-2011, 06:32 PM   #13

Will post up more pics later guys.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:34 PM   #14

Bighappyjer: It's a kennel at Pasir Ris, not a shop per se. Let me do my checks first, and if i can confirm, then i would share. If it all turns out to be a mistake, then i would be jumping the gun and spoiling someone's good name.

There's a few blood / saliva based DNA tests available, from Oz or US. Around AUD 150...thinking of getting that.

Last edited by harrymonster; 12-07-2011 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 12-07-2011, 07:06 PM   #15

Cute fellow ! but definitely not poodle-like at all - all poodles I've seen have curly hair.
the_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.